Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

12 hour delay on QF2 LHR-SYD - Dinner for breakfast ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12 hour delay on QF2 LHR-SYD - Dinner for breakfast ??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Just on my way back home on the tube after dropping a friend off. They got the Park Inn, but travelling Y unless she gets lucky at the gate. Nice buffet she said at the hotel. QF staff very good at LHR and also rearranged connecting flights. Experience spoilt by lack of signage at T3 to this particular Hoppa stop and a driver that said he didn't go to that hotel when the board said he should have, meaning a near 30 min wait. Other QF pax waiting for other hotels it seems.

I've asked my friend to take note what the meal service is just in case this turns out to be a regular occurring delay!!
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sydfly
In LHR right now and was informed that QF2 will be leaving only tomorrow morning with essentially 11h delay. Does anyone know why? Another mechanical?

Due to change to QF2 from BA11 in Singapore tomorrow but looks like this will mean a forced overnight at Changi. Does anyone know where QF puts up customers flying First? I assume still Crown Plaza as it’s at the terminal?
So flying LHR-SIN on BA11 [19:55 16:05] then QF2 SIN-SYD [19:30 05:10+1] in first?
QF or BA ticket?
Have you asked at LHR what will happen?
QF also have QF82 (A330) [21:10 07:00+1]
They may just put you on BA15 [19:25 05:10+1].
Maybe an opportunity for a EC261 2004 claim
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The best time & place to obtain useful information regarding the reasons for delays is on the spot at the airport. Local staff can be quite chatty and they know the dirt. Later on, it all gets filtered.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:54 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Often1
The best time & place to obtain useful information regarding the reasons for delays is on the spot at the airport. Local staff can be quite chatty and they know the dirt. Later on, it all gets filtered.
Just try getting that info in writing
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
So flying LHR-SIN on BA11 [19:55 16:05] then QF2 SIN-SYD [19:30 05:10+1] in first?
QF or BA ticket?
Have you asked at LHR what will happen?
QF also have QF82 (A330) [21:10 07:00+1]
They may just put you on BA15 [19:25 05:10+1].
Maybe an opportunity for a EC261 2004 claim
The BA pilot strike starts today for 2 days so I'm assuming no BA15 downstream to connect to tomorrow. This is something the OP may not have considered when faced with the initial delay, but hopefully brought up by staff when checking in.

EC261 claim details were on a note on the desk at check in. Most EU residents are aware of this but I imagine most non EU pax may not know about it. My friend was too stressed by having to change plans, flights and advise people that she didn't take in the info. I believe there is a 6 year claim period so no rush!

Oh, flight now delayed another 30 mins to 9.20am. Not so bad if they weren't told they had to be in the lobby for 5am for the 15 min coach ride back to the terminal!
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: QF WP
The BA pilots are generally not striking down route so 15/16 *may* possibly be ok (certainly a higher probability of happening than most other BA services)
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by nancypants
The BA pilots are generally not striking down route so 15/16 *may* possibly be ok (certainly a higher probability of happening than most other BA services)
Yes, I'd read that if the pilots were out of the UK on the strike dates, they would continue to fly as the most probable answer. But with BA15/16 I was wondering what would happen with pilots coming through on those two days, whether there would be enough to carry on etc.

The delayed QF2 took off today as QFA2D (assuming not to confuse it with today's QF2?) at 10.02am. Apparently there were ~200 QF Pax at the hotel my friend stayed in. Given QF1 arrived at 7.33am this morning, they had plenty of time to organise hotels etc. Kudos to the cleaning crews and other staff that turned this big plane round fairly quickly.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:21 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Don’t think EC261 would apply to me anyway as I’m only joining QF2 in Singapore. Anyway turned out that BA15 actually continues to sydney today even though they had a staff change at Singapore and that would include the pilots and they are supposed to be on strike today! Must be one of the handful of BA flights flying today.

I really didn’t want to be on BA though for this last leg...so managed to get rerouted via Melbourne on QF tonight and won’t need overnight in Singapore. Will be quite a trip once I’m finally back in Sydney.

Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Sydfly
Don’t think EC261 would apply to me anyway as I’m only joining QF2 in Singapore. Anyway turned out that BA15 actually continues to sydney today even though they had a staff change at Singapore and that would include the pilots and they are supposed to be on strike today! Must be one of the handful of BA flights flying today.

I really didn’t want to be on BA though for this last leg...so managed to get rerouted via Melbourne on QF tonight and won’t need overnight in Singapore. Will be quite a trip once I’m finally back in Sydney.

Correct, EU261 would only apply to QF pax leaving London, not Singapore to Australia. It would apply in reverse to EU carriers leaving Singapore to Europe, but not to QF etc.

Yes, only pilots in London seem to be the ones striking. If they were out of the country when it started, they can return to their London base, so arrivals are coming in.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
The ugly sisters were a disaster (due to unexpected corrosion due to their prior service history), and the lesson QF learned from that is NOT to buy such aircraft on the cheap, as they wind up costing more Doubt that any used A380 purchases would be cheap enough to be economic except for gate constrained airports (and those are getting rarer).

Any idea what a second-hand A380 would sell for ? I didn't think they could give them away. I think Airbus purchased the A340-500 from SIA just to keep them happy - they certainly weren't worth very much.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:37 am

So, the answer to the OPs original question is Dinner - Breakfast (LHR-SIN) Breakfast - Lunch (SIN-SYD).

I had to dig hard as my intel wasn't that forthcoming with details (jetlag!) but it seems they swapped the menus around and dinner and lunch were actually lunch and dinner menus, just in reverse order for the particular leg. She ended up in J and said the food was good, so good the guy opposite her had two dinners on the last leg! Bacon and Egg rolls served out of SIN and she had a particularly large breakfast going into SIN!
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:09 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Aspen
Any idea what a second-hand A380 would sell for ? I didn't think they could give them away. I think Airbus purchased the A340-500 from SIA just to keep them happy - they certainly weren't worth very much.
A bit off-topic but Hi Fly bought a 10-year old A380 ex-SQ at end of lease, and that plane after refurbishment is now operating LGW-JFK for Norwegian as of August 18, replacing the prior 787 service on that route. A380 wet leased is pretty lucrative for both parties for seasonal routes, fwiw. By contrast another retired A380 was scrapped (for parts).
Old Sep 13, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: QF WP; HHonours
Hi, I’m doing this trip in November, interested in accommodation arranged for delayed flights. Was this for Singapore as well as LHR? TIA
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by parsonstrish
Hi, I’m doing this trip in November, interested in accommodation arranged for delayed flights. Was this for Singapore as well as LHR? TIA
Singapore has the benefit of many more flights and options for those waiting to go back to Australia. They may have been placed on other flights or routed to BNE or MEL and on to SYD for example instead of having to wait the 12 hours+ for the next flight.

In my friend's example she was due to connect with the SIN-BNE flight after the LHR leg, but was rebooked at checking SIN-SYD-BNE to save waiting in SIN for another 18 hours I think it was.

The London Hotels were close to the airport, but in this case they knew probably a day ahead they were able to secure rooms. It really depends on occupancy rates when rooms are needed as to what hotels are available. If the flight had landed on time and it goes tech while on the ground for whatever reason, then I imagine passengers may have had a longer wait. My folks had this happen to them while flying Emirates. They were boarded and after a couple of hours on the ground they were told to get off because of tech issues. It took a few hours before they were allocated a room at a hotel and rebooked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.