Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

LAX to SYD Business - Qantas vs Virgin Australia/Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

I have a trip coming up in January and looking to book business class. I've never flown Qantas or Virgin Australia business and I'm just looking for some advice on which has the better product.

The Qantas flight is on a A380 with a 2-2-2 layout.
The Virgin flight is on 777 with a 1-2-1 layout. The return flight for this one looks like its on Delta, which I'm assuming is Delta One Suite, which is a 777-200LR.

The Qantas flight is a bit cheaper, but not by much. If anyone has any real life experience on both, I'd appreciate your feedback. Things I like when in business class are comfort food and service. E.g. not stingy on drinks, etc.

Thanks!

Patrick
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I love 100% direct aisle access, so I'd clearly pick the 1-2-1 configuration over 2-2-2. The new D1 suites are very good. IME DL FAs are very good about refilling wine, etc. and are generally nice to passengers. You'll also have the opportunity to preorder (guarantee your choice of) your main course for dinner, which is nice too.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I love 100% direct aisle access, so I'd clearly pick the 1-2-1 configuration over 2-2-2. The new D1 suites are very good. IME DL FAs are very good about refilling wine, etc. and are generally nice to passengers. You'll also have the opportunity to preorder (guarantee your choice of) your main course for dinner, which is nice too.
Makes sense. I think I was leaning towards Virgin/Delta One over Qantas. Thanks for your feedback!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA & UA also fly that route.

All these flights are at night and arrive early am in SYD.

Edit
  • best business SYD-LAX? Virgin?
    Aug 2018
    Originally Posted by shuuy
    So if we assume it's LAX-SYD non-stop (excluding FJ, NZ, AC, HA)... I've flown VA, AA, QF, UA in J. Mind you, this is UA pre-Polaris
    Sitting and Sleeping Seat: VA > AA > QF > UA
    Service: QF > VA > AA > UA
    Lounge: QF (assuming Platinum) > AA > VA > UA
    Food: VA > AA > QF > UA
    WiFi: VA > AA > UA > QF
    Amenity/PJs: AA > VA > QF > UA
    Drink: QF (wine)=VA (bar) > AA > UA
  • SFO to SYD. Best Business Class Experience?
shuuy likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 9, 2019 at 2:53 pm
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AA & UA also fly that route.

All these flights are at night and arrive early am in SYD.
Yes that's what I'm seeing. I think I would prefer to stick with Virgin/Delta or Qantas. Not really a fan of long haul business AA/UA. I was more or less looking to see which of the options have a better class of product. The Virgin/DeltaOne Suite is looking like it's the winner for me. Unless someone says Qantas is hands down better.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:07 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by patbaker82
...The Virgin/DeltaOne Suite is looking like it's the winner for me. Unless someone says Qantas is hands down better.
QF is hands down better in F but not in J Refreshing to see choice not based on FF plans, sounds like VA/DL is best for you.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by patbaker82
Yes that's what I'm seeing. I think I would prefer to stick with Virgin/Delta or Qantas. Not really a fan of long haul business AA/UA. I was more or less looking to see which of the options have a better class of product. The Virgin/DeltaOne Suite is looking like it's the winner for me. Unless someone says Qantas is hands down better.
AA Business on the LAX-SYD route is not "AA Business" as you know it.

I've done this route on QF, UA, NZ (via AKL) and AA - and I would pick AA every time in J.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:37 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by shillard
AA Business on the LAX-SYD route is not "AA Business" as you know it.
Agreed, AA has about 12 planes outfitted in this configuration and way better than the rest of their longhaul J service. Very different from TATL J for example. Definitely better than DL, VA or QF overall. The only drawback is that it is just one route and one plane a day so no flexibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.