Wiki Posts
Search

QF10 - Avoiding Iranian Airspace

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, EK, Hilton H, Starwood, A-Club
QF10 - Avoiding Iranian Airspace

I just noticed that QF10 (LHR-PER) is flying further south today to avoid Iranian Airspace - does that add much time to the flight? Will be flying this route later in the year BTW.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:02 pm

FAA closed the airspace to US aircraft, so guess QF being prudent.

I would guess the FAA will say airspace will stay closed until tensions diminish for US aircraft. Other airlines will generally follow advice like this. I haven't seen ICAO close anything yet. ICAO I'm pretty sure pushed an advisory after MH17 for an example
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: QF WP
I’m not sure what the block time is but looking back over s few weeks of flights (pre Iran airspace restrictions), flying time has been 15:53-16:37 (hours and minutes), departure delayed <60 minutes 5 times and >60 minutes 1 time in the last month.

QF10 is currently in a FR24 dead zone but when I tracked it earlier (when first saw your post) was past Iran and on track for arrival after 16:07 of flight time

obviously N=1 and I haven’t checked winds etc but early indications are not overly negative
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Bluecardholder
I just noticed that QF10 (LHR-PER) is flying further south today to avoid Iranian Airspace - does that add much time to the flight? Will be flying this route later in the year BTW.
Instead of Iran, they're flying over Iraq instead... not a whole lot of improvement!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Any ideas if Qantas' avoidance of Iranian airspace will resume? Other airlines such as BA and SQ already are...
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: QF WP
Story today is QF9 will carry 90 fewer passengers in order to support rerouting away from Iranian airspace, potential to add a refueling stop in SIN instead depending on economics. QF10 will continue fully laden as headwinds help even considering avoidance of Iran

https://www.afr.com/companies/transp...0200108-p53pu1
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:52 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF is routing over Afghanistan to avoid Iran/Iraq, so fuel stop in SIN makes a lot of sense as they would be overflying SIN in any case. Rerouting 90 pax from PER to LHR is not that easy on Oneworld, making a fuel stop more attractive and not so disruptive given the timings.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:07 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by number_6
QF is routing over Afghanistan to avoid Iran/Iraq, so fuel stop in SIN makes a lot of sense as they would be overflying SIN in any case. Rerouting 90 pax from PER to LHR is not that easy on Oneworld, making a fuel stop more attractive and not so disruptive given the timings.
The fuel stop in SIN makes the most sense as QF has support there. The ~ 1000 km deviation from the GCM is probably worth it compared with offloading 90 pax if PER-LHR is still on the agenda. But no doubt the cost/benefit with both options will prevail. Maybe its a "research flight" for the end for PER-LHR once Sunrise aircraft appear.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:39 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QR Platinum, QF Gold, ITA Executive, HH Diamond, Accor Plus Diamond
Bet QF will still charge a Premium for a direct flight even it was changed to a stopover in SIN for fuel
nancypants and levelnine like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:37 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Coathanger likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But not hard with QF partner airline Emirates.
Some of the PER pax will be from MEL as QF9 fly MEL-PER-LHR.
However this time of year flights from Au (all airlines) have high loads
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Would having this tech stop change the crewing requirements in that they would need to revert to traditional rostering or would the existing compliment just continue as they do now?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:45 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by AdelaideAce
Bet QF will still charge a Premium for a direct flight even it was changed to a stopover in SIN for fuel
And why shouldn’t they. I imagine the costs of operating the route with the tech stop would actually be higher than going non stop with the config, though they may uplift more cargo given the shorter ranges.’

Likewise I would expect them to reinstate non-stop when the risk returns to a tolerable level.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, QR Platinum, QF Gold, ITA Executive, HH Diamond, Accor Plus Diamond
Originally Posted by mikalee
And why shouldn’t they. I imagine the costs of operating the route with the tech stop would actually be higher than going non stop with the config, though they may uplift more cargo given the shorter ranges.’

Likewise I would expect them to reinstate non-stop when the risk returns to a tolerable level.
Looking like those plans are being shelved and they will simply go with a lighter load.
With their inflated price and average product it’s still a no for me though
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:49 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by AdelaideAce
....With their inflated price and average product it’s still a no for me though
Not sure what you mean by inflated price, I looked at booking MEL-LHR in December and price was identical (within $100) for QF via SIN or PER and for EK and even EY (which is usually cheaper). Glad now that I didn't book EK, EY or QR (they are continuing to fly through Iraqi airspace though not through Iran airspace). Going via HKG or SIN is pretty good alternative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.