Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Brace for Enhancement [changes from 20 Jun 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brace for Enhancement [changes from 20 Jun 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
LT WP was always something I had hoped would come one day and I told myself I would move more of my business to QF when this happens. Now if you just qualify for Platinum every year you need 50+ years to get lifetime WP. This really now becomes a problem of your lifetime. Even as a Platinum One you need 20 years to get there. This is insane. 7000 for lifetime silver, 14000 for LT SG, maybe 28000 for lifetime WP would have been sensible but 75000 is just crazy. Would somebody know how this compares to lifetime gold (OW Emerald) on BA?
A couple of members of AFF seem to have done the maths. Apparently, if the minimum requalification for top tier is met in each program each year, it would take 63 years on QF, 33 years on AY and 23 years on BA. If you travelled flexible business return once a month between SYD-PER it would take 33 years on QF or 10.5 years on BA. Finally, for QF, apparently if would take 179 F flights from SYD-LHR or SYD-MEL-SYD in the cheap Y seats every day for 20 years.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
"the biggest overhaul to the airline’s loyalty program in its 32 year history"?

I still dont get it, how on earth is this "the biggest overhaul to the airline’s loyalty program in its 32 year history"? What is so earth shattering about this?

Unless its referring to the unachievable lifetime platinum which presumably very few people will ever get, or is it the silly points club that will crowd up the lounges?
whughes3, Spiff, RTWFF and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
I still dont get it, how on earth is this "the biggest overhaul to the airline’s loyalty program in its 32 year history"? What is so earth shattering about this?

Unless its referring to the unachievable lifetime platinum which presumably very few people will ever get, or is it the silly points club that will crowd up the lounges?
there was/is some talk of the more “enhancing” “enhancements” being quietly released in a few months once this has all died down
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
LT WP was always something I had hoped would come one day and I told myself I would move more of my business to QF when this happens. Now if you just qualify for Platinum every year you need 50+ years to get lifetime WP. This really now becomes a problem of your lifetime. Even as a Platinum One you need 20 years to get there. This is insane. 7000 for lifetime silver, 14000 for LT SG, maybe 28000 for lifetime WP would have been sensible but 75000 is just crazy. Would somebody know how this compares to lifetime gold (OW Emerald) on BA?
Lifetime gold on BA is 35,000 Tier Points
Tyrolean and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
AA scheme was already cheaper than QF scheme for premium cabin rewards on OW metal (including QF).

Now the relative cheapness of AA for premium cabin rewards has increased.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
On one hand I'm sad I credited to other programs (SQ, VA, AA instead of QF) ... but that would only take me to ~59k status credits instead of the 29k I have today.

On the other hand I value my 1m AA points a bit more than QF ones ... If only AU-US availability existed in J!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy
On the other hand I value my 1m AA points a bit more than QF ones ... If only AU-US availability existed in J!
If the announcement has truth to it, there should be more availability to use 80k for a business award or 110k for a 1st award between AU and US

Qantas is currently far too generous with its awards at only 96k to 139k business and 144k to 203k in 1st ( plus of course co-payments on many routes ) , so makes sense that it is increasing the requirements to 108k-119k business and 162k-227k 1st

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 20, 2019 at 10:21 pm
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:31 am

I’ve been thinking about this and the only conclusion I can come to is the reason this is ‘the biggest shakeup to the scheme in 32 years’ is because now they’re explicitly saying ‘It’s not a frequent flyer program, its a frequent shopper program’
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
So from my POV;

LTP - meh. Never going to achieve it.
Glad the goal posts have not shifted on LTG (and LTS) as I am almost at LTG.
Increase in points required for premium fares - not great.
Reduction in fees - I will reserve my opinion.

Most of my points come from flying not spending. Yes, this is all about me.
shuuy, og and littlegreenman like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the announcement has truth to it, there should be more availability to use 80k for a business award or 110k for a 1st award between AU and US

Qantas is currently far too generous with its awards at only 96k to 139k business and 144k to 203k in 1st ( plus of course co-payments on many routes ) , so makes sense that it is increasing the requirements to 108k-119k business and 162k-227k 1st
Why would J or D reward availability on AU-US increase?
AFAIK the new partners don't fly that route?

Also why is a QFreward price already higher than an AA reward price, plus the QF fuel surcharge not present on AA, currently "far too generous"? Or was that sarcasm which I missed?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by markis10

Your wish has been granted! Albeit @ 75000 SCs
What a joke. I am at 18k SCs.
BA offers a LTP (BA Gold) at 36k TPs. So this is a no-brainer. So farewell QF...
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by QF ExLurker
If Qantas is increasing availability of seats on its flight such as implied by its statiement, then there would hopefully be an increase in the availability of award flights on Qantas flights between US and AU.

Also why is a QFreward price already higher than an AA reward price, plus the QF fuel surcharge not present on AA, currently "far too generous"? Or was that sarcasm which I missed?
it was sarcasm based on fact thsat QF awards are already ridiculously expensive
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I suspect the number of J awards may increase - at the point in time when the BNE- SFO/ORD services start. Can’t say the same about F awards though.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If Qantas is increasing availability of seats on its flight such as implied by its statiement, then there would hopefully be an increase in the availability of award flights on Qantas flights between US and AU.
it was sarcasm based on fact thsat QF awards are already ridiculously expensive
Thanks for your reply Dave.

My interpretation of the statement is that all of the extra reward seats worldwide are on the new partners, which doesn't help for AU-US.
NZ is one of the new partners, but they auction off their unsold J seats AFAIK.

Your sarcasm re relative reward costs was well founded. I've been buying AA miles when they are heavily discounted, and redeeming on J, but not on AU-US route because minimal availability. For SYD-HNL I buy JQ "J" which is really premium economy.. Then HNL to anywhere in continental USA has good J reward availability on AA.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Question Requesting upgrades now for flights post-enhancement

I have a ticketed flight SIN to MEL for Mar 2020.
Yesterday I put in a Y to J upgrade request.
It was registered successfully and the number of points required was still listed as 50K.
The Qantas website classic upgrade award table also breaks down the new and old rates under "Requested before 17 Sept" and Requested after 18 Sept".
Given that my flight is in Mar 2020, if the upgrade clears, will they deduct according to the old table or the new table?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.