Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

How eagle eyed are Jet Star Australia on carry on sizes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:02 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver

I have been thinking of getting a Rimowa carry on which measures H56xW40xL20cm but JetStar only allows 56x36x23 so off by 4 cm on the width. I only have one return flight planned from SYD to AYQ with Jet Star (flying J with CX to Oz so no problem from Europe to SYD) and just want/need to know how anal they can be on the carry on size. What about weight? I think we have 7kg included and how are they on a few kg over? Can the weight be combined as were two pax sharing a carry on? Same with the size (i.e. One carry on a little bigger than one pax allowance)?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cupart
I have been thinking of getting a Rimowa carry on which measures H56xW40xL20cm but JetStar only allows 56x36x23 so off by 4 cm on the width. I only have one return flight planned from SYD to AYQ with Jet Star (flying J with CX to Oz so no problem from Europe to SYD) and just want/need to know how anal they can be on the carry on size. What about weight? I think we have 7kg included and how are they on a few kg over? Can the weight be combined as were two pax sharing a carry on? Same with the size (i.e. One carry on a little bigger than one pax allowance)?
You are close so may get away with it. Or maybe not. Having 2 smaller carry-ons would be better than 1 larger (oversize & overweight). You will not be able to combine the 2 x 7kg weight allowance. You could check-in as hold baggage.

While this thread is for QF, all Au airlines were having a purge of over sized carry on late last year----> Weighing all wheelie cases
One news report had that it was inspired by the Dept of Transport, to ensure the airline published requirements (what ever that happened to be) were complied with.

QF now have a higher domestic carry-on limit --> More flexible cabin baggage allowance
14 kg over 2 bags, with the heaviest no more than 10kg.

JQ fly SYD-AYQ
QF fly SYD-ASP-AYQ
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Springs_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayers_Rock_Airport
Cupart likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 17, 2019 at 10:25 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:47 pm

It really is luck of the draw with them. I have flights where they wave everyone through and other that weigh everyone through!
Cupart and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:55 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks for the replies guys. Highly appreciated in deed.

Just thinking about the additional 4 cm. Rules are there for a reason and if they can make extra money on top of getting planes to depart on time, hey why not.
I don't mind paying for the extra 4 cm width as long as I can have the bag with me, as I do not want my valuables put in the hold (that's why it's in a carry on). Will I still be able to carry on my "excess" volume/weight bag if I'm charged extra or is it the hold or nothing?

On the weight question, well ok, again rules are rules, BUT what's funny here is that I may very well gain an additional 3 kg prior to boarding if I eat and drink enough just before heading to the gate OR I could even lose 5-10 kg prior going on vacation.

I have an idea, why don't PAX get the possibility to buy and sell weight quotas (just like governments can with CO2 quotas)...
"Well, at booking I weighed 85kg and now I'm down to 75kg so I have a surplus of 10kg I'm selling to any person who needs the extra weight prior to boarding..."
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Just thinking about the additional 4 cm. Rules are there for a reason and if they can make extra money on top of getting planes to depart on time, hey why not.
I don't mind paying for the extra 4 cm width as long as I can have the bag with me, as I do not want my valuables put in the hold (that's why it's in a carry on). Will I still be able to carry on my "excess" volume/weight bag if I'm charged extra or is it the hold or nothing?....
With JQ you can pay, during the booking process, to have 10kg instead of 7 kg carry on. But the same dimensions. JQ are basically a low cost carrier (that can have high priced fares & add ons)
Why JQ and not QF?

https://www.jetstar.com/au/en/help/a...bring-on-board
nancypants and Cupart like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:00 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
With JQ you can pay, during the booking process, to have 10kg instead of 7 kg carry on. But the same dimensions. JQ are basically a low cost carrier (that can have high priced fares & add ons)
Why JQ and not QF?

https://www.jetstar.com/au/en/help/a...bring-on-board
JQ because:

1) We just wanted to go to AYQ for 2 nights (so we can tick the been-there done-that box) and the flight times (w/o additional stop overs) were best for our short 2 1/12 weeks itinerary of Australia we have planned.
2) When I checked QF, the price's were way higher than JQ (including add ons). We have a rule to not fly J on flights less than 4 hours unless there is a good deal going. LH different ball park...
3) I love to hate Ryan Air / Sleazy Jet type carriers and I honestly want to try JQ out. I'm not particularly looking forward to it as all my flying is in either J or F. Maybe it's a SM flying thing :-D
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:24 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
..... I honestly want to try JQ out. I'm not particularly looking forward to it as all my flying is in either J or F. Maybe it's a SM flying thing :-D
Two thoughts come to mind:
1. Have low expectations and you might be pleasantly surprised.
2. Would you prefer to be shot or stabbed?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: QF WP
Aww I know i’m Unusual but I really like JQ (to be fair when NT based you have to learn to!)

My tips:
1) buy a max bundle and get one of the row 1 seats
2) if you have a food voucher as part of your bundle be aware of it, how much for and make sure you get the value. Even if i’m Not hungry I buy a bunch of bottles of water or something for when i’m off the plane

with a bit of planning I actually find it more comfortable than QF Y on the 737
Cupart likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nancypants
Aww I know i’m Unusual but I really like JQ (to be fair when NT based you have to learn to!)

My tips:
1) buy a max bundle and get one of the row 1 seats
2) if you have a food voucher as part of your bundle be aware of it, how much for and make sure you get the value. Even if i’m Not hungry I buy a bunch of bottles of water or something for when i’m off the plane

with a bit of planning I actually find it more comfortable than QF Y on the 737
I did in-deed buy a bundle (30 kg each for checked bags) and got seats in row 2 (I like to have some of my carry on in the seat infront of me). I think we also got a meal voucher, so great tip on the water to take with us, as I can imagine the price is turned to max in Uluru gererally speaking.

Btw, how does it work with the meal voucher? Do I need to print something out or...?

I’m now actually looking forward to trying out JQ :-)
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did in-deed buy a bundle (30 kg each for checked bags) and got seats in row 2 (I like to have some of my carry on in the seat infront of me). I think we also got a meal voucher, so great tip on the water to take with us, as I can imagine the price is turned to max in Uluru generally speaking.

Btw, how does it work with the meal voucher? Do I need to print something out or...?

I’m now actually looking forward to trying out JQ :-)
So did you buy the extra carry on allowance? [not sure if that is the max bundle] With a 30 kg checked bag allowance they may be more tolerant with carry-on. Some JQ passengers will buy seat only, and try to board with largish carry-on (to save $$$)

The meal voucher is printed on the boarding pass as SPML or similar. The crew IPad will have the list of people who have pre bought meals.

Keep your expectations realistic. Virgin Australia VA also fly SYD-AYQ-AYD. In Au there is no advantage in buying return tickets. Flying different airlines out & back can at times be better for schedule and/or price. I often fly JQ with a bundle and pay $ for an exit row.
nancypants and Cupart like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 18, 2019 at 2:43 pm
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Carry on is a significant source of revenue for JQ. Sometimes you are lucky other times they are mercilous with weighing everyone’s carry on, and each and every item. If you are over 7kg you are sent off to the person with the EFTPOS machine who will sell you either +3kg of carryon allowance or check it in the hold for around $60 if you are over 10kg. If you have purchased baggage and did not use it, and are over on carryon at the gate they will not allow you to use that allowance or turn a blind eye. (There is mention of this in the T&Cs online). Revenue is revenue.

Ie you cannot chance it and say let’s give it a go and worst is that they check it. You will pay an large fee.

KF
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: QF WP
Ps can confirm the additional 3kg carry on allowance is only included in the flex bundle (which has no checked baggage), not the plus or max bundles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.