Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Do points tranfers qualify as "activity" to keep points from expiring?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest, United

I know there are handful of ways to keep Qantas points from expiring - most of them, obvious and typical (fly and earn some points or fly an award and burn some, or earn some by shopping). Some options (shopping, ordering stuff online) are easier for those who live in Australia. I live in the USA, so some of those easy options are more limited for me.

My question is about transferring points to the Qantas program from some other points program: Does the transfer of points in to one's account count as "activity" and thus re-set the expiration date of one's points?

I understand that there are multiple hotel points currencies that can be transferred in to Qantas' program (Hilton, IHG, Mariott, Hyatt, and a couple others). A new option also just appeared: American Express just added Qantas as a transfer partner.

If I'm reading the rules correctly, it seems that transferring points from a family member's Qantas account to another does not extend the expiration date. True? If so, that makes me wonder if transferring in some points from Hyatt, IHG or Amex would be treated differently.

Does anyone here know definitively if transferring points in from an external program (Hyatt, Marriott, Amex) re-sets your points expiration date? Thank you!
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Send an email to Qantas Frequent Flyer <[email protected]> and ask
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
The QF website is quite clear about this: the ONLY activities that do not count for expiry purposes are family transfers and QF Business Rewards transfers. So the types of transfers referred to by the OP definitely DO reset the expiry date.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That was my understanding too , but I seem to recall a post where someone had transferred miles in and had them expire along with rest of miles since that was not an activity that reset timer - though I may be confusing it with another programme where that ocurred
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That was my understanding too , but I seem to recall a post where someone had transferred miles in and had them expire along with rest of miles since that was not an activity that reset timer - though I may be confusing it with another programme where that ocurred
I know of a situation were a person was gifted 100K QFF points by a relative. Their account had had no other activity in the previous 18 months and at the end of the second month after the transfer, they expired.

QFF had apparently emailed warnings but the email address was no longer being used by the member.

IIRC, they did get them reimbursed after complaining on social media and completing "a Challenge" set by QFF.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:45 am

Something to look at is the Qantas Wellbeing App for your smart phone, provided it can be download in other countries other than Australia and that you have a smart phone.
Set a low steps challenge or do the sleep challenge to earn points which post every 7 - 10 days.

Nice and easy way to keep an account alive and not have to think about it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Thinking of it from the point of view of QFF, if QF gets something out of a transaction, it will keep the account active ... this is via flying, or by selling points to a partner Transferring points between family accounts, or from business account, doesn't provide any incremental revenue to QF, so doesn't count. Selling points to a third party (such as a bank, hotel, which is what happens when you transfer from a credit card or hotel program) does provide revenue, so counts. Probably some exceptions, but this seems to be the general rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.