Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Upgrade chances QF23 blocked seats on Expert Flyer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Frequent Flyer

Hi all,

My partner and I are flying to BKK next Monday on QF23. We have Flex Y tickets and requested upgrade to J when booking was made (I am QF Gold),

Currently Expert Flyer seat map is showing all seats occupied except for 1A, 1E, 1K and 3E which are blocked and 5E as unoccupied (wheelchair accessible seat) - sorry can't post image as this is my first post in the forum.

However when searching under Flight Availability in EF the same flight displays the following fare class availability: J3 C3 D3

I'm just curious as to why this would indicate 9 available seats in J when the seat map doesn't reflect this?

And also wondering about the chances of the blocked seats being released at T-24 for upgrade requests.

Many thanks for your thoughts/input.

Last edited by ryanlphoto; Mar 24, 2019 at 5:19 pm Reason: Adding detail
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Never rely on seat maps... If my corporate travel agent books me a ticket but doesn’t select a seat, I’m flying, and will get a seat on check-in as (I think) QF doesn’t oversell business.

At the same time, some routes may have people that cancel last minute / change plans and so they sell more tickets than seats.

So, seat maps are a red herring.

For your situation: the good sign is that it’s J3 and D3 (a lower fare bucket, still enticing people to buy) versus J3 D0 (only selling expensive tickets).

Challenge though is that you’re behind CL, P1, and Platinum requesters.... And it’s on a Monday (first work day for travelling consultants).

My fingers are crossed for you, but I’m not holding my breath.

Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:40 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Consistent with the above comment, all you can glean from J3 C3 D3 is that QF is willing to sell 3 seats - be it in J, C or D class. This may even be overselling the cabin and expecting some cancellations / no shows. They may have 4 bookings without seat allocations (that'd be bad news for you). You may only find out at boarding whether your upgrade RQ has worked. Good luck! Oh, and shuuy's comment about your UG requ being behind higher status levels is spot on. QF also juggle staff travel and crew paxing with this process too.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ryanlphoto Welcome to FT

QF23 SYD BKK
J3 C3 D3 is not 9 seats in the business cabin still to be sold (seat maps does not equal seat sales)
It means 3 seats (or more) which they sell as J or C or D.
Sell 1 J and the other fare buckets will/may drop to a lower number.

For J3 C2 D1 it means 3 seats (or more) which they sell as 3 in J, or 2 in C, or 1 in D. But may only be 3 seats sill to be sold.

J >= C >= D
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks @Shuyy for the clarification - that makes sense.
In hindsight perhaps a Monday booking wasn't the best idea!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks og - could the upgrade be confirmed at the gate even with 2 pax? This has happened to me before flying NRT - BNE but I was travelling alone.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks @Mwenenzi for explaining that, much appreciated - I wasn't aware that is how the system worked.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:06 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by ryanlphoto
Thanks og - could the upgrade be confirmed at the gate even with 2 pax? This has happened to me before flying NRT - BNE but I was travelling alone.
Yes, it is possible, but I suspect the chances are quite low
shuuy likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Update on this: After the seat map opened up four new seats yesterday (T-48), I received a confirmation of our successful upgrade request this morning
og, shuuy and littlegreenman like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Congratulations! Enjoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.