Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Jetstar(OZ) doing crazy fares right now

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

AUD$99 Perth/Bali

AUD$129 Gold Coast/Queenstown NZ

(both inc $60 departure tax but no checked bags)

Why do they advertise these crazy loss leader fares ?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
AUD$99 Perth/Bali
AUD$129 Gold Coast/Queenstown NZ
(both inc $60 departure tax but no checked bags)
Why do they advertise these crazy loss leader fares?
So people like you will bite and advertise for them. They will get more web site visits.

At times I have booked these low JQ fares (with a bundle)
fakecd likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:46 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread as it moves to the Qantas forum, where Jetstar is typically discussed. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
So people like you will bite and advertise for them. They will get more web site visits.

At times I have booked these low JQ fares (with a bundle)
but then some idiots think it's a normal type fare & get ...... when they can't find anything like these fares.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's just marketing
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by perthite
It's just marketing
yes but way to cheap.

If airlines are going to put out sale fares,(we all know there might be very few of them) they need to have more at say $20/$40/$60/$80/$100 etc. more.

This sort of marketing can make people scepital & can backfire, if when they look there's nothing like that fare available & in future they might simply ignore emails from airline or unsubscribe from emails. Think airlines would be much better saying exactly how many of these seats at these prices & when.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I can’t quite put my hand on it exactly but the OP reminds me of a poster who used to post here and on Airliners Dot Net. Can’t remember the nom de plume now though...

Why do companies offer loss leaders? Answer is quite obvious I would have thought.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Quick look at the Perth - Bali one shows plenty of options.

These types of things have been with us since the birth of Jetstar (and I guess LCCs in general)
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:53 am
THR

yes but way to cheap.

If airlines are going to put out sale fares,(we all know there might be very few of them) they need to have more at say $20/$40/$60/$80/$100 etc. more.

This sort of marketing can make people scepital & can backfire, if when they look there's nothing like that fare available & in future they might simply ignore emails from airline or unsubscribe from emails. Think airlines would be much better saying exactly how many of these seats at these prices & when.
https://www.writerscentre.com.au/blo...se-ampersands/

Worth a read.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints
I remember, a few years back, Jetstar ran a 1 cent fare promotion for a whole week. There were 3000 of the seats on their New Zealand domestic network. Back then it was only the jet services, no Q300 flights.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

also Gold Coast to Queenstown from $129
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

also Gold Coast to Queenstown from $129
$125 for much of March & April on my regular MEL---CHC route. But often the flights are at unsocial times. Before this sale $169 was not that unusual for a sale. Real taxes on that route average at $113 for me.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
It's not like they can just advertise a $99 fare from PER to DPS and then only have it available on 1 seat on 1 flight. They need to have reasonable availability if they don't want to hear from the government,
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:08 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by croberts134
It's not like they can just advertise a $99 fare from PER to DPS and then only have it available on 1 seat on 1 flight. They need to have reasonable availability if they don't want to hear from the government,
.. like QF advertising something (eg new Premium economy or SkyBed seats, or all A330s with new aisle access Biz seats) and “only” taking 2 years before you can actually get to use them.

You’re dreaming if you think that airlines should behave ethically when they advertise something that’s almost too good to be true.

You want a Biz Class award seat trans Pacific? Better stick to using your points on a box of wine or a toaster.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
The thing is when airlines advertise these sorts of things (except “soon” to be rolled out J seats ) there is reasonable availability - midweek outside of school holidays. If expecting to snare such a fare on a Friday night and back on a Sunday or Monday - is bound to end in disappointment. Does that make it unethical for airline to advertise such a fare? I don’t think so.

And they may well sound like “loss leaders”, but many people struggle with 7kg carry on, so will buy checked luggage. Others will see the cheap fare as an opportunity to have more booze on board etc. So each low fare - at a time when that seat might have gone empty - is generating opportunity for ancillary income as well. (In addition to the marketing benefit mentioned by posters above.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.