Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

International to domestic transfer at PER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond

I saw a 2010 thread on this, but was hoping for something more recent

I’m arriving on CX into PER and transferring to MEL.

when I checked in at the start of my journey (fra-lhr-hkg-Mel) they printed me 2 luggage’s tags, the second one saying MEL

just wondering if I have to collect bags at Perth and clear customs, and then lug them over via bus to the domestic terminal, if they’ll be transferred straight through (which would be odd from the customs side?) or if I clear customs and there’s a re-check desk?

ive got an injured ankle at the moment with a brace and a walking stick, so hoping for an easy solution!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: QF WP
Definitely collect and recheck. Can’t recall a nearby drop desk but it’s been a bl**dy long time since I did an international connection in Perth
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Qantas appear to like to pretend T1/T2 at PER no longer exist.

I did this later last year and would have needed to take my luggage on the free landside transfer bus from T1/T2 to T3/T4 for recheck. The bus has good space for luggage.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 20, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aceman
I’m arriving on CX into PER and transferring to MEL.

when I checked in at the start of my journey (FRA-LHR-HKG-MEL) they printed me 2 luggage’s tags, the second one saying MEL

Just wondering if I have to collect bags at Perth and clear customs, and then lug them over via bus to the domestic terminal, if they’ll be transferred straight through (which would be odd from the customs side?) or if I clear customs and there’s a re-check desk?

I've got an injured ankle at the moment with a brace and a walking stick, so hoping for an easy solution!
As PER is your port of entry into Australia you have to clear immigration and then collect all checked & carry-on luggage and clear customs/bio security
Then across to T3/T4

https://www.perthairport.com.au/to-a...ring-terminals

https://www.perthairport.com.au/to-a...t4-has-changed

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-...ort-guide.html

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-...ort-guide.html

Qantas flights

All Qantas operated flights (international and domestic) operate from the Terminal 3 and 4 (T3/T4) precinct.
Other airlines

Jetstar domestic also operate from the T3/T4 precinct.

All other international airlines, including Jetstar and Qantas codeshare partners, operate from Perth Terminal 1 (T1). Perth T3/T4 is physically separated from T1 by a 15 minute drive, and no airside transfer facility is available.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Use Smartgate if eligible.
In 2013, I didn't and got the full treatment coming back from SIN - PER - ADL.
As soon as I handed my Aust passport over, at the first immi counters at PER T1 on arrival, (HLO) that was it, got ushered to the benches, and got the full drugs wand, thousands of questions...
Lucky I made my QF connection back to ADL!
If I remember, my connection time was about 2.5hrs.
After that, with all my trips, (NZ) only, maybe they see that as a lesser risk, have always used Smartgate, and not been pinged.
If you are eligible, and have used it, its a sinch, if you haven't used it, or prefer the staffed counter for passport scanning on entry back to Aust, that can be done too.
The PER transfer bus was waiting outside T1, to get to QF PER dom (at that time, now of course its T4), its the Per airport one, the service is not like SYD T1 to T3, more like the service from BNE Int to Dom.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
There used to be a transfer desk, but that was shut down when Qantas withdrew international flights from Perth. It has not reappeared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.