Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Another reason to avoid late JQ flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:40 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P

JQ HBA -SYD pax got a free visit to CBR overnight supposedly due to strong winds (at SYD?). Strangely, 6 km from SYD it was gentle to dead calm winds all day. Suppose the moral is to avoid late arrivals into SYD especially if on a JQ aircraft. I’m sure there’s more to the story, but we’ll probably never know. But it may be related to the 23:00 curfew and ATC staffing.

Jetstar flight between Hobart and Sydney diverted to Canberra due to strong winds
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-1...laims/10728920
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I cannot see why this is any more a reason to avoid late night flights on JQ over any other of the airlines
nancypants and moa999 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:00 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Given the anecdotal evidence of this story and my own experience of dealing with multiple (very) late JQ flights late in the evening, I cannot see any reason for prioritising JQ over others for late evening flights.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: QF WP
I don’t have statistics (obviously, I never do!) but my limited experience with jetstar is of rolling delays, every flight seems to leave late (sample size of about 8 and mainly in and out of DRW where curfew issues don’t arise, to be fair). I suppose theoretically that makes them more vulnerable to this kind of stuff, maybe?

that said, now that I technically live in Canberra, I had previously failed to appreciate how often stuff gets diverted there because of weather/generic delays at Sydney. And it’s all airlines not just JQ
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:41 am

Seems crazy that the flight then went ahead with their luggage, but the pax were bused up to SYD. Why couldn't they have been reloaded back onto the flight?

Mr Ziaolhagh said he was frustrated the "same plane" would today fly to Sydney and "has to leave empty which is so stupid and a waste of fuel".
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:06 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Oneworldplus2
Seems crazy that the flight then went ahead with their luggage, but the pax were bused up to SYD. Why couldn't they have been reloaded back onto the flight?
Probably due to lack of cabin crew for the flight; baggage can fly crew-less Also more flexibility in flight crew if there are no pax onboad.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:04 pm

And don't have time of boarding and deplaning and no shows etc.

Also things like it might have been needed for an international flight so could go directly to international terminal opposed to domestic and then get tugged over
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
And lack of JQ check-in facilities at Canberra.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
No need to discriminate against JQ (this time...)

Once flew SIN-PER on SQ in some bad Wx a couple of years ago. In my 15 years of heavy flying, I had only had 3 flights where the pilot had to go-around. The SQ flight that night we went around twice (white knuckles everywhere). The JQ flight that left at the same time landed first time
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Few weeks ago, we had very bad crosswind (and extremely high temperature) here in HBA. It started with VA flight that under shot the runway and had to do TOGA. After holding for about 20 minutes and hoping for winds to easy, attempted another landing with another TOGA and went back to MEL. This was followed by missed approach by JQ aircraft that diverted immediately to LST and after 2 hours there came back. Next, QF decided to hold over Cradle Mountains to give themselves option of diverting to LST or MEL. After about 20 minutes of holding there, continued to holding area above Tee Tree. Landed 30 minutes late and boy, it was rough landing... Interestingly in between missed attempts by the first VA and JQ, another VA and QF flight landed.
Why writing all this? Because of this "Strangely, 6 km from SYD it was gentle to dead calm winds all day". I am around 900 metres from the airport and it did not look that bad. But listening to ATC changed my mind completely. Strength and direction was changing ever 200-400 feet. I would not like to be either passenger nor pilot at that time...
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Weather can do odd things, a couple of weeks ago JQ popped a HBA-MEL to flight down at AVV, whilst other flights were circling waiting for a slot ( I think winds had closed one runway). The flight then departed AVV for MEL about 4-5 hrs later. I sure hope that passengers ere bussed up to either central Melbourne or MEL itself, about 45 mins drive away.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I cannot see why this is any more a reason to avoid late night flights on JQ over any other of the airlines
You haven't taken enough late night flights on JQ then, Dave.

The exception is where they need the aircraft to be at the destination for an early morning flight - eg: JQ480 MEL-NTL. Then they pull out all stops to get there.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:14 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shillard
You haven't taken enough late night flights on JQ then, Dave.

The exception is where they need the aircraft to be at the destination for an early morning flight - eg: JQ480 MEL-NTL. Then they pull out all stops to get there.
We’ve been happy to take morning JQ flights but returning on evening JQ is too time risky. We take QF instead who have better frequency, better IRROPS handling and more chances of roll foreard.
shillard likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.