Search

A380 J - A few questions please.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
A380 J - A few questions please.

Hello all,

First time in 15 years flying QF. Just booked J ticket from DFW to SYD on the A380. Is it possible to escape a window seat when both are reclined flat without disturbing your fellow pax next to you?

Is row 16 far enough from the galley as far as noise goes?

Is the on board lounge just a gimmick or is it actually a good place to sit and converse for a while?

Thank you!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
If you are over 5' 8' and reasonably limber, it should be quite simple to exit without disturbing fellow PAX - there is a solid handhold at the back of the seat in front (not row 11 or row 15).

The seats are long enough, being two back from the Galley the noise is not really that obvious, go back further if you are concerned.

You have to make an effort to use the lounge, so it's a bit of a gimmick. Also, any conversation should be soft enough not to disturb those in row 11.

Most of the window seats have side storage bins. These are very handy as there's little other storage in the skybeds.

http://www.qantas.com/content/dam/qa...s/A380-800.pdf
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:23 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The "lounge" was originally created as a first aid area with lounge function an afterthought. It isn't like EK The A380 interiors are a decade old now and coming up for redesign which will make them much better but probably not before 2021.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Thank you!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by IflyonAA

Is it possible to escape a window seat when both are reclined flat without disturbing your fellow pax next to you?

Is row 16 far enough from the galley as far as noise goes?
personally I’d prefer a window seat and would deal with climbing over someone. Advantages are privacy and being further form the aisle and heavy footed traffic. Also as mentioned for the storage. If you can snag 12A or 12K, go for these, although generally that mini cabin is always full so if there are spare seats you’d most likely score a neighbour free seat further towards the back of the main cabin. 11JK have the power point for medical devices and so if they are requested, there is a possibility of being moved from these seats. If it’s a concern climbing over someone get an E or F seat. If you’re going to be on an aisle you may as well not deal with someone climbing over you. Don’t take 16EF as these are directly behind the galley and also adjacent bassinet rows in row 15. If in the larger main cabin, I’d go row 18, 17 or 19 in that order.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by IflyonAA
Hello all,

First time in 15 years flying QF.
Note that the seats are pretty old now and can suffer from drooping or arching. The end of the seat (by your feet) isn't supported, and over time some have bent out of shape, meaning a less than flat sleeping surface.

This can be fixed, either by putting a bag or other prop under the end of the seat. Or talk to your cabin crew. (But just to know it isn't uncommon, and you shouldn't need to spend the whole flight being uncomfortable.)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
BOOK QF only if you can travel on EK metal. QF's F and J Class are boring and bland in comparison are not good value for money i their current state. I may well change my opinion once A380 upgrades are complete.
mflyer100 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Agree if an aisle seat person take the centre pair.

I actually quite like the lounge. Have had one flight where I had it all to myself, grabbed the headphones and watched a full movie on the big tv.

Other times it's been quite social with a number of people in the area chatting.

But definitely looking forward to the seat upgrades commencing next year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.