Search

Routing/upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO, SPG Plat
Routing/upgrade question

Hello,

Apologies if obvious but booking SYD-HKG and the cheapest routing seems through ADL (SYD-ADL-HKG) SYD ADL being QF and ADL HKG being CX.

Even though it’s a J fare, it’s booking the domestic leg into Y. Am I able to upgrade this ticket using QF points despite buying via CX?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Y as in generic economy, or Y as in fare bucket?

If U is available, then you can book and upgrade the domestic sector using QFF points as soon as ticketed.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Apologies, booked into H.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Sydflyerr
Apologies, booked into H.
You should be able to as long as it's a QF marketed and operated flight and U class is available. (I have done similar with an AA ticketed (001-) booking.)

If there is business award availability on the ADL flight then you should be able to upgrade to U after ticketing.

It would cost 7500 points for ADL-SYD when ticketed in H class.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:15 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
That is very common pricing for J fares, A-C direct is often more expensive than A-B-C even though that costs the airline(s) more. CX struggles with ADL loads in J so often there are some deals to be had. I've seen it at 50% of the SYD-HKG fare at times. And often cheaper with 2 separate tickets ADL-HKG-ADL and SYD-ADL-SYD fwiw.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

Just another question, how is the transit at ADL? Do I need to pick up my bags and check them in again/what is there to do at ADL for 5 hours?

Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sydflyerr
Just another question, how is the transit at ADL? Do I need to pick up my bags and check them in again/what is there to do at ADL for 5 hours?
As SYD-ADL-HKG is 1 ticket your bags will be transferred.
https://www.adelaideairport.com.au/t...ur-way-around/

ADL is not far from the city centre and has a bus service. But given the time before boarding for HKG not a lot of time. So really not much to do other than wait in the lounge (and surf FT)

https://www.adelaideairport.com.au/parking-transport/
https://www.adelaideairport.com.au/p...lic-transport/
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: QF WP
However...if you’re into that kind of thing, maybe go for a little walk around the airport campus and see the Vickers Vimy (accessible on a route through the far end of domestic arrivals, near the qantas valet parking office)

dick Smith is on a bit of a mission to have it moved so it might not be in Adelaide much longer

https://www.adelaideairport.com.au/c...ofile/history/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.