Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Bumped off QF577/QF9 and rushed over to QF1. Best way to complain?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:02 am
Original Poster

I go four or five times a year in Y class LHR<->SYD, and last May changed to the Qantas route via Perth.

First time went fine, but yesterday lunchtime’s QF577 was delayed, and they bumped me off literally just as they scanned the boarding card in the queue, despite me checking at the desk and then confirming an hour would still be enough.

The gave me a new boarding card for QF1 marked SBY, and a boarding time of 15:10 - while I was in the domestic terminal at 15:00.

Then there was a huge queue for a bus over to the international terminal, and confusion from staff over whether to go to desk C or D.

Once there all they could offer was 52F - and the checkin staff unprompted said it was a “bad seat”. And it was. A middle bassinet seat with a toddler that screamed, or a mother that sang to stop him screaming, and who kept wanting to touch me (although bless him he was quite sweet really). The plane itself in that section seemed really loud too.

The final issue was of course they didn’t have a gluten free meal ready, but the staff were initially quite rude, I guess assuming I was just a trumped up economy passenger on a hipster fad diet. To be fair they seemed more understanding when I said I was coeliac and had been moved to this flight. However, they still brought me food they had no idea had gluten in or not, and then got hissy again when I said I had to be really quite sure. On the second leg they brought me a tiny plate of rice with two small sections of asparagus, deapite me making clear I could have anything except gluten (and I know they have plain fish and steak).

I arrived into LHR at 07:20 ish, rather than the two hours earlier, which had the knock on effect of yet another hour to get out of the car park in Uber.

Anyway, after that rant, what’s the best way to complain to Qantas, and what, if anything, could I reasonably expect?

Last edited by likethis; Sep 29, 2018 at 2:07 am
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Should add I have BA Silver status and had a Y class ticket, but perhaps unsurprisingly that seemed to make no difference at all.

They didn’t even tag my bag with business class, which is one of the few benefits, and makes a difference collecting them

Last edited by likethis; Sep 29, 2018 at 2:11 am
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by marcosscriven
I go four or five times a year in Y class LHR<->SYD, and last May changed to the Qantas route via Perth.

First time went fine, but yesterday lunchtime’s QF577 was delayed, and they bumped me off literally just as they scanned the boarding card in the queue, despite me checking at the desk and then confirming an hour would still be enough.

The gave me a new boarding card for QF1 marked SBY, and a boarding time of 15:10 - while I was in the domestic terminal at 15:00.

Then there was a huge queue for a bus over to the international terminal, and confusion from staff over whether to go to desk C or D.

Once there all they could offer was 52F - and the checkin staff unprompted said it was a “bad seat”. And it was. A middle bassinet seat with a toddler that screamed, or a mother that sang to stop him screaming, and who kept wanting to touch me (although bless him he was quite sweet really). The plane itself in that section seemed really loud too.

The final issue was of course they didn’t have a gluten free meal ready, but the staff were initially quite rude, I guess assuming I was just a trumped up economy passenger on a hipster fad diet. To be fair they seemed more understanding when I said I was coeliac and had been moved to this flight. However, they still brought me food they had no idea had gluten in or not, and then got hissy again when I said I had to be really quite sure. On the second leg they brought me a tiny plate of rice with two small sections of asparagus, deapite me making clear I could have anything except gluten (and I know they have plain fish and steak).

I arrived into LHR at 07:20 ish, rather than the two hours earlier, which had the knock on effect of yet another hour to get out of the car park in Uber.

Anyway, after that rant, what’s the best way to complain to Qantas, and what, if anything, could I reasonably expect?

2 hours late? Nothing, even under EC regulations... The rest... IMHO, suck it up... BA silver? Don't think gives you any extra rights like priority bag... I'd be just happy to be there...
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:13 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by marcosscriven
Should add I have BA Silver status and had a Y class ticket, but perhaps unsurprisingly that seemed to make no difference at all.

They didn’t even tag my bag with business class, which is one of the few benefits, and makes a difference collecting them
Priority tags mean nothing. They look nice, but IME bags appear at random times no matter whether tagged with Business or First or Priority. Very occasionally they come out early, but you can’t count on it.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by og

Priority tags mean nothing. They look nice, but IME bags appear at random times no matter whether tagged with Business or First or Priority. Very occasionally they come out early, but you can’t count on it.
Yes, the only luggage tags that invariably work are those that say "Crew". All others are mere decoration
lhrpete likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For those who have no memorized flight numbers, this was apparently OP's return to the UK. QF 577/9 would have operated SYF-PER-LHR. In its place, OP was rerouted onto QF1, operating SYD-SIN-LHR. He was ultimately delayed into LHR by approximately 2 hours.

Bottom line is that OP is missing the one key detail. Why was he denied boarding onto QF 577? Was he late to check in or to the gate (as required in QF's rules, not his estimation)? If he was late, he was properly accommodated. If not, QF may toss him something small.

As to the 2-hour delay, that would not even result in anything under EC 261/2004 had he been traveling xLHR.

I would omit all of the other stuff. A seat is a seat. Children cry. Meals don't happen. Rudeness is in the eye of the beholder (unless OP has specific language used).
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by Often1
Bottom line is that OP is missing the one key detail. Why was he denied boarding onto QF 577? Was he late to check in or to the gate (as required in QF's rules, not his estimation)? If he was late, he was properly accommodated. If not, QF may toss him something small.
I think it is right there in the OP - QF577 was delayed and Qantas deemed that the connection to QF9 in Perth would be too close.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
And presumably had he not been rerouted the OP would likely have been stuck in PER for 24hrs or flown a more convoluted route back.
Either way I suspect the QF solution provided the least delay.

Seating is never guaranteed, and unfortunately neither are special meals on delayed flights
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by ButFli
I think it is right there in the OP - QF577 was delayed and Qantas deemed that the connection to QF9 in Perth would be too close.
Yes that’s what I read too.

Looking st flightsware, QF 577 reached the gate at PER at 1807, only 38 mins before the scheduled departure of QF9, effectively leaving less than 20mkns from doors opening on QF577 to gate closing on QF9.

As luck would have it , QF9 didn’t depart until 1935, some 50 mins late so OP would have made it, but Qantas probably didn’t know that at the time.

Always difficult when you have special meals ordered and seat prebooked, but Qantas were taking measures to avoid a possible 24 hr delay in PER, so sometimes we just have to make do with what we’ve been given in the circumstances.

I am not sure if complaining to QF would achieve anything, apart from a stock standard reply, as I am sure they bellieved they were doing you a favour to get you there with minimal delay.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Given Emirates have 3 flights a day out of Perth Im pretty sure the delay would not have been 24 hrs if he had missed the connection. Personally on that length of flight I would refuse a middle seat and would ask to be accommodated with good seating and meal so I guess everyone has their own preferences in these situations.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Often1

I would omit all of the other stuff. A seat is a seat. Children cry. Meals don't happen. Rudeness is in the eye of the beholder (unless OP has specific language used).
Actually perhaps not...
  • A seat isn't just a seat if you have paid for a seat selection (which may or may not be the case herein)
  • If you are choosing a seat (which you've paid for) you have the choice of choosing a seat away from the bassinets on the seat map to mitigate the risk of others' noisy offspring
  • The airline promotes a service regarding meal choice, which it failed to deliver
  • Gluten intolerance for some is a very serious issue and capable of making some folk very sick
  • Cabin crew had options to assist with piecing together a meal but were clearly disinclined
  • There may be a grey area in perceptions of rudeness, but there again if someone is really rude there would be consensus
  • It doesn't sound as if the OP was kept informed or provided with any choices

OK, compensation unlikely...but nothing to lose by making a complaint if the customer feels aggrieved. The airline needs to know if a customer is dissatisfied (or satisfied), even if QF has default position of deafness and arrogance.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Given Emirates have 3 flights a day out of Perth Im pretty sure the delay would not have been 24 hrs if he had missed the connection.
Still, would have been a 7 hr delay and may not have solved meal and seating problems.

It’s almost impossible for airlines to keep people happy. ... delays and they’re the worst for the delays ... actually do something to mitigate a potential singinifcant delay and it’s seating problem.

On the meal, whilst at short notice can’t expect catering to ihave special meals available, it seems that the documentation needs to be better for crew to refer to, for understanding what is and isn’t gluten free. If making a complaint would make that the focus and (if applicable) seek a refund of any advance seating fee paid.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:25 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
To answer the OP's question of the best way to complain, that is undoubtedly Twitter if he has a large following, QF will respond quickly. Otherwise email but don't expect much without QFF status, and BA Silver is treated contemptuously by QF (perhaps with good reason). In terms of legal rights to compensation, there are none as the contracted travel was fulfilled 100% per CoC .... one could view the terms to be unfairly in the airline's favour, but those are the terms we all agree to when buying tickets. So it is a matter of goodwill by QF, hence Twitter works best.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Given Emirates have 3 flights a day out of Perth Im pretty sure the delay would not have been 24 hrs if he had missed the connection. Personally on that length of flight I would refuse a middle seat and would ask to be accommodated with good seating and meal so I guess everyone has their own preferences in these situations.
I am fairly sure it has been a while since EK have had 3 flights out of PER. I believe it is currently the A380 is daily, the 777 service is currently ~4x/wk
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by number_6
TBA Silver is treated contemptuously by QF (perhaps with good reason)
(Whilst agreeing with the rest of the post)...why would an airline seek to treat a custom with contempt? And what makes a BA silver a target?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.