The Unthinkable QF-CX code share

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
The Unthinkable QF-CX code share

Interesting press release
https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...d-asia-closer/

A little disappointing that HKG- Mainland China are not included (I guess no QF-KA code shares)
But then I also realised that as they are both oneworld - it probably only makes marginal difference to status credits and significant difference to points (cabin and status bonus).
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
That is indeed interesting - thank you.

Also interesting: the codeshare arrangement does not include Canberra-Sydney.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
This makes sense. Both are OneWorld carriers and fly between Asia and Australia. Looks to be similar to the AA/BA code shares between USA and Europe.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:42 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by cova
This makes sense. Both are OneWorld carriers and fly between Asia and Australia. Looks to be similar to the AA/BA code shares between USA and Europe.
Of course it makes sense. BUT the two airlines have a recent history of not liking each other - to put it mildly. This was very evident when QF tried (unsuccessfully) to establish a Jetstar operation out of Hong Kong. CX threw everything it could to stop this happening.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
Hence my choice of thread title. But business is business.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by cova
Actually totally different to the AA/BA codeshares between US and Europe - they are part of a joint venture that sees revenue sharing and codes placed on each other’s services. This arrangement is more a traditional codeshare - where the carrier sells seats on the other carriers service, and only covers non compete routes (eg AA codes are on BA flights and BA codes on AA flights between JFK and LHR, but in this case no QF codes on CX flights between SYD and HKG nor CX codes on QF flights - that’s what EK joint venture does).

Seems to be very pragmatic way of covering some holes in the QF network and for QF strengthening their India offering and managing the risk of some potential holes in the India network - given the financial state of Jet Airways, QF’s current codeshare partner into India.

Last edited by lokijuh; Sep 29, 2018 at 10:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.