Search

Increased MCT for QF10 PER-MEL?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:58 am
PZE
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver
Increased MCT for QF10 PER-MEL?

I’m currently booking a flight from Exmouth/Learmonth through to Melbourne and was hoping to book QF1461 connecting to QF10 - partly because the arrival time into MEL is more convenient than the later QF768 but also because it would be nice to try the 787-9. It shows as a permissible connection on Google Flights but not ITA Matrix, and won’t ticket through the Qantas website.

Initially I thought it fell foul of general MCT (I’d arrive at 1320 and depart 1430 so 70 minutes) but another itinerary offered is LEA-PER-SYD-MEL which is also departing PER on QF582 at 1430 - so clearly that’s not why.

Just curious why this isn’t available - something to do with QF10 coming in from LHR before continuing through? Or more likely to be a website glitch bookable by phone?

I can book as two separate tickets for very similar money, but not sure what Qantas’ attitude is to missed connections on their own flights when not through-ticketed so that seems a bit risky.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably due to QF10 being an international flight
It arrives at MEL T2:- the international terminal.
Need the D pass/stcker
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...documents.html
Domestic flights within Australia departing from an international terminal

Domestic flights departing from an international terminal (flights QF1-QF399) are flights between Australian capital cities that connect to or from a Qantas International service. For example, flight QF9 from Melbourne to Perth continues on as QF9 from Perth to London.
<snip>
https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...erth/global/en
<snip>
For International customers transiting in Perth on QF9/QF10 flights between London and Melbourne, baggage remains on the aircraft in Perth, and customs is not cleared until arriving in London or Melbourne.
I can book as two separate tickets for very similar money, but not sure what Qantas’ attitude is to missed connections on their own flights when not through-ticketed so that seems a bit risky.
The risk would be yours. Hard to know how generous QF would be if you no showed (too late)
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The minimum connection time for a flight number 400+ to QF10 is 90 minutes; your 70 minutes falls short of the permitted time , so Qantas will not sell it

for a connection 400+ to 400+ , the minimum connection time is 40 minutes which is why that other itinerary is permitted
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:53 am
PZE
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver
Got it - thanks both, that makes sense. Guess it’s a 330 and a slightly later arrival in Melbourne, then.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:32 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by PZE
Got it - thanks both, that makes sense. Guess it’s a 330 and a slightly later arrival in Melbourne, then.
More likely to be an earlier actual arrival time, also getting out of domestic terminal is faster than international even with D sticker, by a few minutes. Plus you are liable for search by customs even as D pax, though they don't do that too often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.