Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Seat Selection is grayed out on BA Avios booking MEL-BNE in Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Selection is grayed out on BA Avios booking MEL-BNE in Y

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Happy
In US majority of passengers would do online check in for various reasons, especially on full flights. In fact the US airlines would send you an email right at the 24 hours before departure time to remind you to do online check in. Hence in theory we could do online check in.
Sounds the Australian folks would still wait till they arrive airport to check in?
US airlines have allowed pax to pre-allocate seats at the time of reservation for some time now so pax in the US are used to the idea hence not as many will leave it until OLCI or at the airport to have their seats assigned. A large percentage of the travelling public in Oz still think that OLCI at T-24 is the first chance they have of choosing a seat.

Australia has its fair share of the 'Kettles' who just assume that because Ma & Pa are in the same pnr/booked 6 months ago, or whatever it's somehow an ironclad guarantee they'll be seated together on the flight. Plenty of elites don't bother either and just assume that because they've got an aisle/window seat request in their profile that it's a sure bet they'll get such a seat. Even when told they can pre-allocate a seat once a booking is made they still aren't interested in being pro-active and insist that they've never had a problem getting their preferred seat in the past because the request is in their profile.

Because CX has nothing to do with the MEL-BNE ticket, I am a bit skeptical they would issue BP the QF flight, especially we dont check bags on the HKG-MEL leg. Will give it a shot though as we have plenty of time to do online check in after we settle in CX lounge as it would be at least 11 to 12 hours before we arrive MEL
CX will through check again to other OW airlines on separate tickets. They initially jumped on the 'can't interline on separate tickets' bandwagon with many other airlines when the OW interline changes took effect back in 2016 but have since done a backflip and will now do it again. You don't need to tell CX you're not checking in luggage, just ask them to add in your oncarriage at checkin to facilitate the boarding pass issue for the QF connecting flight then when asked how many bags you're checking in you can then tell them none. If you tell CX straight up you're not checking in bags they may not see the need to add the oncarriage however you need them to do this so you're protected if the CX flight is late and need to be reaccommodated on a later QF MEL/BNE flight.

Should have checked the details for the worst delay cases instead of relying on Google flights average delay figure... Kicking myself. May have to rebook later flight MEL-BNE to be safe.
Don't worry about it - I wouldn't spend any money changing the MEL/BNE to later. If CX add the QF flight in as oncarriage and through check you it will merge the CX & QF flight in your altea checkin record so if CX is late resulting in you misconnecting they'll rebook you. Sometimes QF may do that automatically, other times it's the responsibility of the inbound carrier who was late ie CX to rebook your new onward flight.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og

Verifying it (the MEL Business Lounge) is very open and serving brilliant coffee and everything else - right now! If the web site says closed, then its wrong.
Are you talking about T1 or T2?

QF site said T1 is of limit usage, and limit guest during 2 periods of the day because the renovation. It also suggests the Grab and Go option for members.

What are the "everything else"?

BTW, traveling time is 2nd week of Nov.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozflygirl747
CX will through check again to other OW airlines on separate tickets. They initially jumped on the 'can't interline on separate tickets' bandwagon with many other airlines when the OW interline changes took effect back in 2016 but have since done a backflip and will now do it again. You don't need to tell CX you're not checking in luggage, just ask them to add in your oncarriage at checkin to facilitate the boarding pass issue for the QF connecting flight then when asked how many bags you're checking in you can then tell them none. If you tell CX straight up you're not checking in bags they may not see the need to add the oncarriage however you need them to do this so you're protected if the CX flight is late and need to be reaccommodated on a later QF MEL/BNE flight.

Don't worry about it - I wouldn't spend any money changing the MEL/BNE to later. If CX add the QF flight in as oncarriage and through check you it will merge the CX & QF flight in your altea checkin record so if CX is late resulting in you misconnecting they'll rebook you. Sometimes QF may do that automatically, other times it's the responsibility of the inbound carrier who was late ie CX to rebook your new onward flight.
Thank You very much ozflygirl747, I do not know you can add the QF flight to the CX reservation this way!

Most importantly you said that in case CX delay has caused misconnect, then we would be protected because it is added to the oncarriage... This is entirely a NEW knowledge to me.

Given CX has 3 flights a day between MEL and HKG, it is not too much hassle to get CX counter to resolve the misconnect should that happen, IF the oncarriage method works.

In other words we would be better off to thru check our carryons even though not necessary, just for the benefit of adding the QF segment to the oncarriage?

What is "altea checkin record" ?

EDIT - Get it, it is the check in software that handles the check in process, print BPs and luggage tags...

Have you personally experienced this before? Or you are in the industry so to speak?

This sounds too good to be true but if it works this way, this is a GEM that you give us.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 29, 2018 at 11:59 am
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:34 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Are you talking about T1 or T2?

QF site said T1 is of limit usage, and limit guest during 2 periods of the day because the renovation. It also suggests the Grab and Go option for members.

What are the "everything else"?

BTW, traveling time is 2nd week of Nov.
This Thread is too long! Your original thread is about MEL-BNE. This is a domestic flight. I am talking about the MEL domestic Business Lounge.

“Everything else” is food and drinks (alcohol after 12:00). All free. You can make up a substantial meal if you want to. My favourite is the sandwich toaster (DIY).
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og

This Thread is too long! Your original thread is about MEL-BNE. This is a domestic flight. I am talking about the MEL domestic Business Lounge.

“Everything else” is food and drinks (alcohol after 12:00). All free. You can make up a substantial meal if you want to. My favourite is the sandwich toaster (DIY).
Thanks for clarification. Appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.