Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF releasing last minute availability to BA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Hey gang.

What are the chances of QF releasing space closer to departure? Any chances? I know some airlines give up seats closer to departure, has QF have this tendency or if it is not available anymore, not gonna happen?

Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:40 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF releasing space preferentially to BA ended a decade ago when BA sold its equity stake in QF and stopped co-operating. Now any space goes to all partner airlines, after it has been allocated to QFF priority waitlist requests ... effectively zero for the high-demand routes and dates.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
QF releasing space preferentially to BA ended a decade ago when BA sold its equity stake in QF and stopped co-operating. Now any space goes to all partner airlines, after it has been allocated to QFF priority waitlist requests ... effectively zero for the high-demand routes and dates.
Okay, seems I didn't ask properly. I meant does QF release any space to OW partners closer to departure? I didn't mean preferentially per se.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Okay, seems I didn't ask properly. I meant does QF release any space to OW partners closer to departure? I didn't mean preferentially per se.
Not really - you only see availability in the days before if the flight/cabin is really undersold.

Qantas seem to prefer remaining premium seats go to those updrading with Qantas Frequent Flyer points.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:36 am
Original Member

Award space is released to Oneworld partners only after all queued QFF requests are satisfied (in practice this is a WP benefit). Also QF often keeps seats vacant up to and even after flight time, based on a sophisticated load and yield optimization algorithm (they view a vacant F seat more valuable than filling it with an upgrade, on some routes, flights and times of day/week). QF has a deliberate policy of not filling every vacant F/J seat every time ... great for paid pax, frustrating for FT-ers. Pick unpopular days and times to travel to maximize your upgrade chances.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:19 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
IME this has never happened. Agents will tell you to "Keep looking."

Unlike BA, EK and EY that have standard times when they release seats closer to departure, IME QF certainly does not. I imagine with upgrades to the gate for QFF members the likelihood is even less now.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:31 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by m0hamed
IME this has never happened. Agents will tell you to "Keep looking."

Unlike BA, EK and EY that have standard times when they release seats closer to departure, IME QF certainly does not. I imagine with upgrades to the gate for QFF members the likelihood is even less now.
I’m interested in how QF prioritises staff travel demands and upgrade requests (of all sorts).
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by og

I’m interested in how QF prioritises staff travel demands and upgrade requests (of all sorts).
I suspect there is an official process that would ensure no "to the gate" points upgrade gets passed over before someone on staff travel gets that seat. I also suspect this process often gets discreetly ignored.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:15 pm
Original Member

Some staff travel is processed as CL priority I've seen it happen (sometimes for very good reasons). I still remember a SYD-JNB flight where half the F cabin were pilots going there to play golf for the weekend and I was the only paying F pax. Many years ago when 744s still had F to JNB.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by og

A friend is ex QF FA and said with bids to upgrade it really does come down to last minute on standby to see if they're going to even travel on the day. Last trip I think was all economy. Not helped by aircraft downgrade due to tech issues.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:23 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
On QF23 we had seats 1EF. EF alerted me that 1F has become vacant. At check in they said the seat was broken. The moved me to 1A so we could sit across the aisle.

Get on board and find a staff member in 1F. The seat was reported to not be able to recline on the previous flight so my partner was stuck sitting next to a stranger who was staff.

The upside was 1A/E mean you can converse as opposed to 1E/F...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.