Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad Habits of QF Lounge Users

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I solve this problem by eating off of a plate. That way I can not be bothered by what is or might have been previously on the table. But I am a millennial so my advice will likely be ignored.
Hmmm so do you request that the waitstaff place your silverware and napkins on your lap??? Do you gingerly make sure you don't touch the table with your hands.

Maybe its just me, but I find the odor of chewing gum, dog feces, spit urine etc rather unapetizeing especially when its on my table, even if I'm not touching it. I guess its just a generational difference.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
I guess its just a generational difference.
And none of us seem to be dying from it. Strange.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
And none of us seem to be dying from it. Strange.
So unless someone actually dies from it, it doesn't matter?
eminere likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:28 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

Having a a dress code makes your lounge feel a bit more refined, like a private club. Having a sign with ‘no feet on seats, no shouting’ makes your lounge feel like a standard class carriage on public transport. The latter shattering any image of exclusivity lounge occupants may think they have.
Apparently with a dress code, it is to be implied that one's etiquette is to reflect the rather smart or if you will, 'refined' dress code.

Whether that is inferred though, is a whole other story

Additionally, what may be causing much of this is possibly the case of people thinking that they can do whatever they please so long as they have money (and assuming that these people do). But wealth does not buy elegance.
LTN Phobia likes this.

Last edited by clubeurope; Aug 13, 2018 at 1:50 am
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Hmmm so do you request that the waitstaff place your silverware and napkins on your lap??? Do you gingerly make sure you don't touch the table with your hands.

Maybe its just me, but I find the odor of chewing gum, dog feces, spit urine etc rather unapetizeing especially when its on my table, even if I'm not touching it. I guess its just a generational difference.
And what's on people's hands? Those that don't wash after going to the toilet, sneezing (transfer of flu or other viruses), changing their baby, picking noses and ears, holding on to hand rails, or straps on public transport. Sure, feet on tables might not be considered good manners, but the relative risk?
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Point to their feet and say... I hope you dont have dog poo on your shoes.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by whughes3
So unless someone actually dies from it, it doesn't matter?
Good enough for me, or falls ill, I suppose I just don't have time for first world problems.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:39 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Good enough for me, or falls ill, I suppose I just don't have time for first world problems.
Street shoes on a dining table in a QP may be acceptable to you, but can you name any restaurant in any country where it is acceptable (not by you but everyone else there)? I cannot see how this is a “first world problem”.

Last edited by og; Aug 13, 2018 at 8:49 pm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by og
I cannot see how this is a “first world problem”.
Yeah, noted.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
FT seems to be an odd place for you to hang out if that’s the case - this place could serve as the definition of first-world problems
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Life would be much easier if you were less concerned with others.... (just my advice)
And it would be even better if we agreed onn being a civilization, only having one planet available for now, and not a society

Last edited by SwissCircle; Aug 13, 2018 at 10:04 pm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by og

Street shoes on a dining table in a QP may be acceptable to you, but can you name any restaurant in any country where it is acceptable (not by you but everyone else there)? I cannot see how this is a “first world problem”.
Completely different settings. I have never seen anyone with feet up in a restaurant because the table is too high. Restaurant tables are designed for sitting upright. Same in airport lounge restaurant areas.... people don’t put their feet up there either.

But it low level tables, in an area specifically designed to promote a calm, soothing and relaxing environment, where comfort is the primary goal, some people might see the opportunity to put their feet up to maximise comfort.

Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:19 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I’m surprised no one had mentioned anything else...

I was in the Sydney Intl Business Lounge sometime ago, and witnessed someone dropping their muesli on the carpet, and proceeding to move to another sofa as if nothing happened. That was shocking.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:36 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
New "data point":

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post30168308

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.