FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Bad Habits of QF Lounge Users (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1920972-bad-habits-qf-lounge-users.html)

mikalee Jul 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Bad Habits of QF Lounge Users

Why do people think feet on tables in airport lounges is acceptable? It seems to be more common then ever. Two lounges in two days, female and male. Surprisingly they are not GEN Y or Millenials.

The lady is in the Brisbane Domestice Business Lounge. The male is in MKY Regional Lounge.

Should I say something and shame them into better manners? It really frustrates me and is very unhygienic.

mikalee Jul 20, 2018 5:41 pm

[mod hat] Picture of woman with shoes on table and a man with his legs on the table but not his shoes. [/mod hat]

bostontraveler Jul 20, 2018 6:15 pm

say something if it bothers you. You most likely will get backlash but who cares. I personally find the gentleman resting his legs far less offensive than the lady who plops her feet directly on the table. Gross.
I can't tell you how many times I have told loud Americans to lower their damn voices here in Europe (particularly college-aged women but also loud businessmen in lounges) because they are so clueless and annoying as hell...

eminere Jul 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Foul. Send those photos to PassengerShaming.

AustralianPoochie Jul 22, 2018 3:23 am

You won't win by speaking out.
Its 2018 and people have no scruples, and no sense of shame.
Putting feet up everywhere is now the norm.
Bulkheads, chairs on public transport, in airline lounges, on the seat in front of the person and then shaking or wriggling the said seat in front.
You probably would get the glare of death, and then, derision for the rest of your time in the lounge, and worst, if they were on the flight you were on.
Lounge staff also don't care anymore, ...

LTN Phobia Jul 22, 2018 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by mikalee (Post 29996411)
The lady is in the Brisbane Domestice Business Lounge. The male is in MKY Regional Lounge.

Should I say something and shame them into better manners? It really frustrates me and is very unhygienic.

Clearly not a lady then...
Rather disgusting. I'd say something to the lounge agent to intervene (I don't particularly wish to have an altercation with a passenger and they are less likely to do that with a staff member), citing hygiene concerns, and thus even bring up that dreaded "health and safety" just for the hell of it (= implication is that allowing unhygienic conduct may breach their health and safety obligations) if I feel they won't do anything about it.

Anyway, I wish QF imposed behavioural standards rather than dress standards. E.g. don't shout down the phone, don't put feet on the table/seat, don't let your children run around screaming, don't talk so loudly to each other than people 15 metres away can hear you, don't eat and drink standing right at the buffet while others are trying to serve themselves etc.

cbourl Jul 26, 2018 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie (Post 30000042)
Bulkheads, chairs on public transport, in airline lounges, on the seat in front of the person and then shaking or wriggling the said seat in front.
You probably would get the glare of death, and then, derision for the rest of your time in the lounge, and worst, if they were on the flight you were on.

Absolutely! Especially in Australia
Give me a loud American anyday over a cashed-up bogan FIFOuters don't bother me but the cashed up bogan on board in C in lounge well that's just very Qantas! Never forget that ex-CEO of Westpac (mind you isn't she an Afrikaaner??? ) sitting behind me in QF C ADL-SYD wearing torn pantyhose and walking barefoot without plane socks to the portapottie onboard! Distinct difference to sitting next to Ita Buttrose in C ADL-CBR-SYD and also saw her in CBR C Lounge -the epitome of graciousness simplicity and pure elegance!!!

bostontraveler Jul 27, 2018 2:24 am

i couldn't give a rats cuchi about people’s reaction. And deriding me for their crass behavior, go for it. If they have no upbringing so be it. Saying nothing implies acceptance.

I certainly can’t change the world nor do I aspire to be the etiquette police (I would go mad). But that said I do speak up when cretins encroach on my mental well-being.

m0hamed Jul 27, 2018 4:35 am

Life would be much easier if you were less concerned with others.... (just my advice)

bostontraveler Jul 27, 2018 5:02 am

thanks for the advice.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Jul 27, 2018 5:54 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 30002711)

Anyway, I wish QF imposed behavioural standards rather than dress standards. E.g. don't shout down the phone, don't put feet on the table/seat, don't let your children run around screaming, don't talk so loudly to each other than people 15 metres away can hear you, don't eat and drink standing right at the buffet while others are trying to serve themselves etc.

Having a a dress code makes your lounge feel a bit more refined, like a private club. Having a sign with ‘no feet on seats, no shouting’ makes your lounge feel like a standard class carriage on public transport. The latter shattering any image of exclusivity lounge occupants may think they have.

bostontraveler Jul 27, 2018 6:37 am

The feet thing is something QF can address easily. It’s a question of hygiene plain and simple.

davistev Aug 12, 2018 3:03 pm

Too funny. I was talking loudly on my mobile at gate 15 Sydney domestic shuttle transfer stop when a bogan told me to keep my voice down. I let this bloke have it right back telling him "Mate - I am not shutting up - this is a public place and if you want a peaceful environment, then you should go to the Qantas lounge." mmm - perhaps the Qantas lounges are flooded with riff raff now too.

og Aug 12, 2018 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by davistev (Post 30074907)
.... I was talking loudly on my mobile at gate 15 Sydney domestic shuttle transfer stop when a bogan told me to keep my voice down. I let this bloke have it right back telling him "Mate - I am not shutting up - this is a public place and if you want a peaceful environment, then you should go to the Qantas lounge." mmm - perhaps the Qantas lounges are flooded with riff raff now too.

Shouting into your phone shows you don’t understand that the party at the other end of your conversation can hear you just as well whether you shout or speak quietly - just try it sometime - that’s how phones are built.

DeepUnderground Aug 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by mikalee (Post 29996411)
Why do people think feet on tables in airport lounges is acceptable? It seems to be more common then ever. Two lounges in two days, female and male. Surprisingly they are not GEN Y or Millenials.

I solve this problem by eating off of a plate. That way I can not be bothered by what is or might have been previously on the table. But I am a millennial so my advice will likely be ignored.