Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Help! Surprise Upgrade as a birthday gift

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

My family are planning on flying from Perth to Melbourne in October, and as the departure date is my wife's birthday, I was hoping to surprise her with an upgrade to business for her, leaving me with the 2 kids in economy.

The problem I have is that she normally does all of our bookings, and would have access to the booking details, so if I simply booked 1xbusiness and 3xeconomy tickets, the surprise doesn't exist. Furthermore, if I leave it too close to the departure date to see if I can upgrade her seat, more than likely there will be none available.

I'm looking for some solutions here, and I accept there might not be any I like. Can anyone think of how else I can tackle this, while still creating the surprise?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by statsman74
My family are planning on flying from Perth to Melbourne in October, and as the departure date is my wife's birthday, I was hoping to surprise her with an upgrade to business for her, leaving me with the 2 kids in economy.

The problem I have is that she normally does all of our bookings, and would have access to the booking details, so if I simply booked 1xbusiness and 3xeconomy tickets, the surprise doesn't exist. Furthermore, if I leave it too close to the departure date to see if I can upgrade her seat, more than likely there will be none available.

I'm looking for some solutions here, and I accept there might not be any I like. Can anyone think of how else I can tackle this, while still creating the surprise?
Change the contact info to yours, and maybe call the TA/Airline and ask for a new record locater if possible.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
IMHO, this flight is not worth of extra money for business... For long, I have been arguing that everything over 3+ hours is worth business, but had to reassess recently when VA opened HBA-PER direct... Done my numbers and cost of 4.5hours in whY versus C does not add up... Booked myself and Mrs to do this trip in September, burning my VA points in whY… When I told her (and she has been spoilt - we have done Europe twice a year in business since 2004) she was more than OK with that... Immediately, she booked top range accommodation and some great tours and we are still in surplus...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.