Upgrade bid

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:48 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Upgrade bid

Friend is on QF1 SYD-LHR on an upcoming Saturday. QF sent the “bid now for upgrade” email. He’s seeking guidance on how much to bid. He has no status but I’m unsure which fare class in Y. EF shows W1 and J9 C5 D0 I0. About half the Biz seats are showing as unallocated. I’ve suggested a bid of anout $600 for Y to PE and about $1000 for Y to Biz.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would suggest that he 1st consider what extra he would have been prepared to travel in Premium Economy or Business and make sure not to offer more than that.

Would he have paid $1000 extra if it had been offered ?

Some people seem to see the upgrade cost and ignore considering how much they had paid already
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:30 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would suggest that he 1st consider what extra he would have been prepared to travel in Premium Economy or Business and make sure not to offer more than that.

Would he have paid $1000 extra if it had been offered ?

Some people seem to see the upgrade cost and ignore considering how much they had paid already
Quite valid comments, but this guy is forced to book Y (not his $) but can pay personally pay for the upgrade. He’s a hostage to 24 hrs in Y and looking at the light at the end of the tunnel (at least the light in PE or J) and wishing .... I’m assuming he wants the upgrade but is seeking guidance on a price point from an expert (?) then deciding whether or not to jump.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:32 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Is PE a worthwhile upgrade? It isn't that much more comfy than Y; whereas J is a huge jump up. I'd bid only for the J upgrade, and 1000 should get it. Dont forget that gets you the arrival lounge at LHR which is pretty worthwhile.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:48 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks - hopefully I’ll be told the outcome.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by og
Thanks - hopefully I’ll be told the outcome.
Be interesting to see. I have a QF staffer staying with me and were looking at loads this morning for return flights back on the staff travel site - and even more coincidently I had another friend on the QF10 this morning trying an upgrade bids. Both 2 and 10 only had 1 or 2 seats free with about a dozen upgrade bids showing. My friend was in the lounge and asked about the change of the upgrade and was told by staff there that the QF10 is extremely popular and rare for upgrades to go through, even less chance for staff travel. My staff friend is flexible and he'll see when the right opp comes up for him to go back this week.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:47 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My friend bid about $1400 plus some points. The minimum bid QF would accept was $1300. It was unsuccessful. Based on what I could see from the EF seat diagram, the flight was close to or completely full.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I have an upcoming flight SYD-SCL that is nearly sold out in Y and W with a decent amount of room in J. While it doesn't state clearly in the Bid Now FAQ, it looks like you can bid for a Y to J upgrade, as og's friend did. Are all bids from W to J processed before Y to J? Perhaps that is why og's friend lost the bid.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
I have an upcoming flight SYD-SCL that is nearly sold out in Y and W with a decent amount of room in J. While it doesn't state clearly in the Bid Now FAQ, it looks like you can bid for a Y to J upgrade, as og's friend did. Are all bids from W to J processed before Y to J? Perhaps that is why og's friend lost the bid.
Main bid upgrade thread---->Bid Now Upgrade Success Stories

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.