Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas goes direct Perth to London

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Platy

Do you have anything to add on the subject of this thread (personal enquiry may be OT)?
No, just an apology.
My snarky reply was uncalled for.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by DH188
No, just an apology.
My snarky reply was uncalled for.
(Apology much appreciated and respectfully accepted!)

...Interesting to note that Joyce is now talking up product innovation such as (first class?) cabins for ultra long haul, whilst other ultra long routes are being launched / touted by other airlines (Air NZ AKL-ORD and a new route for SQ)...
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Out of interest I note that on another forum a long time poster did the last A380 MEL-LHR followed by the first 787 on LHR-MEL in economy. Her verdict was that the 787 seats are way too narrow.

Discussed above (103) - sorry!

Last edited by luftaom; Mar 28, 2018 at 7:30 pm Reason: Didn't realise that it had been discussed above
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by luftaom
Out of interest I note that on another forum a long time poster did the last A380 MEL-LHR followed by the first 787 on LHR-MEL in economy. Her verdict was that the 787 seats are way too narrow.
and I do believe that serfty told us all about it in post #103
luftaom likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:51 pm
sam

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
I'm flying to London from Sydney on Sunday. I have a Cathay J redemption but I'm planning to cancel and rebook with QF on revenue economy. Debating whether to choose SYD-SIN-LHR; SYD-PER-LHR or SYD-MEL-PER-LHR.

Edging towards SYD-MEL-PER-LHR as want to try the new route. Via MEL I get more points than direct to Perth and I get to use the new lounge. Make sense?

My only other factor is upgrade availability. Any thoughts on whether more change of points upgrade via SIN? I am Qantas Platinum.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:12 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by sam
I'm flying to London from Sydney on Sunday. I have a Cathay J redemption but I'm planning to cancel and rebook with QF on revenue economy. Debating whether to choose SYD-SIN-LHR; SYD-PER-LHR or SYD-MEL-PER-LHR.

Edging towards SYD-MEL-PER-LHR as want to try the new route. Via MEL I get more points than direct to Perth and I get to use the new lounge. Make sense?

My only other factor is upgrade availability. Any thoughts on whether more change of points upgrade via SIN? I am Qantas Platinum.
I’d start with a trawl through EF or similar to get an idea of loadings.
I’d assume the 787 may be difficult to upgrade on ??
Registering for an upgrade for a flight in a few days may have you low down pn the list ?
Do you really want to abandon the security of CX J for a place in the QF lottery ? Does’t make sense to me, but ETTO.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:29 am
sam

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
Originally Posted by og

I’d start with a trawl through EF or similar to get an idea of loadings.
I’d assume the 787 may be difficult to upgrade on ??
Registering for an upgrade for a flight in a few days may have you low down pn the list ?
Do you really want to abandon the security of CX J for a place in the QF lottery ? Does’t make sense to me, but ETTO.
Thanks. This seems to suggest Perth might offer more opportunity for upgrade.
Why would the 787 be difficult for upgrade? Do you mean because no pax will be upgraded out of J into F?
I need the status points so would prefer revenue fare. I can survive Economy if it comes to it (and I realise it may well).
Old May 22, 2018, 12:38 pm

Does anyone know what the loads have been like recently down the back? I've been checking prices for a late October trip to SYD and QF9 is coming out at the same price as QF1 for the return leg. I'm not sure if I'm seriously considering the QF9 but I find that after about 12 hours I'm going mad anyway and often the stopover seems to drag so why not get it over with?!

Thanks for any insight :-)
Old May 22, 2018, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given that QF9 doesn't go from Sydney, I would go with QF1 . The connection in Singapore is nice and easy, with no risks of misconnecting rather than any risks of flights from SYD-PER to connect to QF9

For LHR-SYD, I would take QF10 to Perth and then connect to QF582 to Sydney since it is a lunchtime departure from London with an evening arrival into Sydney , which I find significantly more civilised than the evening departures from UK with early arrivals into Sydney

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 22, 2018 at 3:42 pm
Old May 22, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
i was on this flight (mid-week) recently where J section was completely full - and Y were about 40-50% full (my rough estimate). There was no availability for my RTW ticket, but one opened up at the last minute so I was able to change to this one. (my original booking was on MH: PER-KUL-LHR)

Slept like a baby for 14 straight hours!

pitch black outside for most of 17 hours.

I miss old kate spade bags ;_;

Last edited by samwise6222; May 22, 2018 at 5:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.