Qantas goes direct Perth to London

Old Mar 23, 18, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Qantas goes direct Perth to London

Pardon the new thread, but I thought worth a mention as the direct Australia to UK flights start today, with much hoopla around the 787.

Really looking forward to my MEL-PER-LHR flights in a couple of weeks, and visiting the new Perth lounge which opens today.

Some pictures of the new Perth lounge in here, along with a lot of great Qantas historical images:
Qantas London Perth Direct History, inflight service, and lounges
I wish that Captain Cook lounge still existed!
Old Mar 23, 18, 7:34 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
And one particular national media outlet (that also feeds internationally) proudly showed views of SYD Intrnational, an A380 and an A333. Sigh. Why aren’t QF’s media group reaching out and feeding this game changing news to the world just waiting for news on the 787?
Old Mar 23, 18, 9:37 pm

Booked in on this for May, on way to SYD. Economy class, but still looking forward to how the new plane is.

Will also be interesting to see how the 17+4 hrs compares to 7+14 hrs going via DXB. I’m fairly happy just reading and sleeping, but maybe 17hrs will be just too much.
Old Mar 24, 18, 1:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There have been direct flights between Australia and UK for a long while - the perth-london flight is the commencement of regular non stop flights
Old Mar 24, 18, 1:33 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
There have been direct flights between Australia and UK for a long while - the perth-london flight is the commencement of regular non stop flights
I wonder for how long. My private bet is no more than 6 months...
Old Mar 24, 18, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by marcosscriven View Post
Booked in on this for May, on way to SYD. Economy class, but still looking forward to how the new plane is.

Will also be interesting to see how the 17+4 hrs compares to 7+14 hrs going via DXB. Iím fairly happy just reading and sleeping, but maybe 17hrs will be just too much.
I just saw this on the news tonight.

I feel for you. I cannot imagine doing 17 hours in F.

How many meals and snacks will you get?
Old Mar 24, 18, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek View Post
Whyís that? Do you think it just has too low a margin, or simply not enough business demand?
Old Mar 24, 18, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
I just saw this on the news tonight.

I feel for you. I cannot imagine doing 17 hours in F.

How many meals and snacks will you get?
I read three meals. Personally I donít see it that much more gruelling than 14 hours, especially when it makes the connecting flight that much shorter.
Old Mar 24, 18, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by marcosscriven View Post

I read three meals. Personally I donít see it that much more gruelling than 14 hours, especially when it makes the connecting flight that much shorter.
Maybe it is just me. I'd rather 2 flights so I could have a break. Even if I have a 2 hour stopover. I'm crazy doing SYD to LAX.
Old Mar 24, 18, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
If you actually read what the OP said, the OP says it goes "direct Perth to London". What "direct flights" are you talking about? Does it go "directly?"
You are just using that stupid terminology whereby "direct" is not the same as "non-stop"
Old Mar 24, 18, 2:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
If you actually read what the OP said, the OP says it goes "direct Perth to London". What "direct flights" are you talking about? Does it go "directly?"
You are just using that stupid terminology whereby "direct" is not the same as "non-stop"
It is not stupid terminology, it is the actual terminology as defined by IATA

Originally Posted by IATA glossary
Any flight ticketed as a single flight coupon, irrespective of whether there are enroute stops and/or changes of aircraft types

or

Flight connecting two cities or airports with or without enroute stops; passengers need not change aircraft (except for a change of gauge flight.)
QF1/2 have been direct flights bwtween Sydney and London for a long time
SK, Often1, royng and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 24, 18 at 2:12 am
Old Mar 24, 18, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Correct terminology, and not stupid: people get tripped up when they don't use the language properly and find themselves on a "direct" flight that makes a number of en-route stops when they could have got to their destination much faster on a "non-stop" flight. (WN, I'm looking at you.)
wrp96, Often1 and ElJudioErrante like this.
Old Mar 24, 18, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
Maybe it is just me. I'd rather 2 flights so I could have a break. Even if I have a 2 hour stopover. I'm crazy doing SYD to LAX.
On way to SYD have to stop anyway, I quite like the idea of the last leg being Ďonlyí four hours.
Old Mar 24, 18, 6:30 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by vbroucek View Post
Interesting speculation. The acid test will be the westerly winds, number of fuel diversions into Europe if things are tight and how many people from the Eastern States prefer Perth to Singapore. No doubt QF Ops have gone through these and stacks more. I also reckon the addiditonal services to North America depend on whether the PER-LHR flights continue.
Old Mar 24, 18, 8:01 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by lorkers View Post
Pardon the new thread, but I thought worth a mention as the direct Australia to UK flights start today, with much hoopla around the 787.

Really looking forward to my MEL-PER-LHR flights in a couple of weeks, and visiting the new Perth lounge which opens today.

Some pictures of the new Perth lounge in here, along with a lot of great Qantas historical images:
Qantas London Perth Direct History, inflight service, and lounges
I wish that Captain Cook lounge still existed!
Towards the end of the article it says 'get up really early a few days before the flight'.

I like my sleep too much, don't see anybody practising this for the flight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: