Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetstar Complaint

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Jetstar Complaint

Qantas owned Jetstar strands me in Darwin without even a call or email. Qantas then tries to charge me an extra $1000 to fly home today. So I book with Virgin on principle
Today Qantas refuses me access to the empty lounge at Darwin airport.
Gold member treatment from Qantas!
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Um... I think you'll want to post this over at the Qantas forum, mate.
Better luck with your future flights!
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FHST Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by FHST
Qantas owned Jetstar strands me in Darwin without even a call or email. Qantas then tries to charge me an extra $1000 to fly home today. So I book with Virgin on principle
If you have QF gold status, you must fly QF/JQ or Oneworld airlines a reasonable amount.

Far more details are needed.
Why/how did JQ strand you in Darwin?
https://www.darwinairport.com.au/#

You only get departure access to QF lounges if flying QF/JQ and have status or in business class. QF Plat/Plat 1 get arrival access.
A VA flight will not get you QF lounge access.
A QF flight will not get you VA lounge access.

JQ & QF operate as separate airlines (when is suits QF, which is most if the time)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 22, 2018 at 8:52 pm
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:10 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
FHST, welcome to FlyerTalk! Please follow the thread as it moves to the Qantas forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
I assume that you were on the cancelled JQ671 in the early hours of this morning.

The fact that there are so few flights into Darwin means that when there is a cancellation it's often very hard to get out - particularly on JQ where they have at most 1 flight a day to Sydney. If you need to get back to Sydney you often get stuck as you did needing to buy another ticket on the early afternoon QF/VA departures and wearing the difference between your JQ fare and whatever the last minute fare on QF/VA was.

My experience of living in Darwin for 4 years and doing the Friday night DRW-SYD redeye ~40 times a year was that it was always a good idea to have a look to make sure that the late evening departure from the East Coast had departed on time and had not been cancelled. If there was a cancellation getting on the phone to QF/JQ to see if something could be sorted before everyone else on your flight found out was the way to go. I managed to convince JQ to put me on the morning DRW-ADL service with a connection to SYD.

Sorry that you got unlucky.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
And this is the problem with LCCs.

It's a cheap flight when it all works.
You understand why it was a cheap flight when it doesn't.
luftaom and shillard like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: RFC
There's a reason one nickname for them is OneStar. I've had a couple of experiences with them that has left me simply refusing to fly them anywhere, whether in Australia or anywhere else they operate.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FHST
I do not know what happened with the Jetstar flight ; I would be surprised if it refused to book you on a later flight if the flight was cancelled

Did you have travel insurance that would protect in this situation?

You chose on principle to book on Virgin ; when doing this you should have known that benefits associated with Qantas Gold status would not apply when travelling on VA

The treatment that you received is exactly what any Qantas gold member travelling on virgin should get
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:44 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
QF is a totally separate entity to JQ - inspite of the "Qantas Group" displayed on the JQ aircraft (or used to display). No chance that QF will take the initiative and take JQ pax incase of IRROPS. QF or VA etc will only accept pax if JQ does a deal with them and pays (most unlikely). If JQ cancels, they will put you on the "next available" JQ aircraft. AFAIK JQ also provide accommodation if the delay is overnight. A "rescue" flight may take a long time to get to DRW - to go on another carrier (QF, VA, TT) means you (or your insurance) pays. Otherwise sit back and have a relaxing time in DRW airport ...

OT: Does the Aviation Club bar still exist? It used to be a haven

Edited: Following the QF AGM tour, it is apparent that QF / JQ will do whatever is possible to look after customers and this includes moving pax to other airlines to make that happen. This is a far better situation than what I was previously aware of. But it seems JQ in MEL has to get QF IOC in SYD involved.

Last edited by og; Feb 23, 2018 at 10:36 pm
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Just have to read a website called Don'tFlyJetstar to get an understanding of the whys it gets people mad, the airline is the bane of a lot of people on there.
I am not surprised at what the OP got, as its happened to me, at least in my case, they did sms to my Au mobile the flight I was on booked on (JQ Au Dom) was cancelled, in 3.5 hours in MEL.
I couldn't do OLCI 24 hours prior so I had an inkling something was off.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:37 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
I couldn't do OLCI 24 hours prior so I had an inkling something was off.
On one occasion I haven’t achieved OLCI, but I was in an exit row.

The later in the day that you choose to fly JQ the greater the chance of problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.