Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Timing for booking award flight on Qantas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan

Looking to fly one-way from MEL or SYD to LAX or YVR next December.

Three years ago I was able to score two business class seats from MEL to LAX by booking at T-355. Now, looking at the last day open in the booking window( Dec. 16), I see nothing available in any class of service. Working back, I can find a few seats in Economy in late November, but nothing Premium Economy or higher.

Do the award seats still get released at T-355, and they just are snapped up right away? I know this occurs in the premium cabins, but also in Economy?

We actually can fly from anywhere in Australia to anywhere on the US west coast.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
With Avios, should have said.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
As the QF award inventory is controlled by QF and not by BA, including the release date, I have moved it to QF forum from BA forum where the thread was originally posted.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:29 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
It’s peak period travel. QF expects to sell these seats.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enzian
Looking to fly one-way from MEL or SYD to LAX or YVR next December.
<snip>
We actually can fly from anywhere in Australia to anywhere on the US west coast.
From late 2018 QF will also fly MEL SFO
QF also flys BNE LAX & SYD SFO

On the AA forum is a dedicated thread about QF awards. You will have similar problems
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

AA also flys SYD LAX, so could be booked with BA avios

Originally Posted by og
It’s peak period travel. QF expects to sell these seats.
Indeed. 355 days from now is Tuesday 18 December. At that time and for weeks after, airlines will be expecting to sell all Australia USA seats for very good money. No need to have awards flight available.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:13 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Normally the currency you use to book the award (=Avios) determines the forum on FT. But since is about the intricacies of how QF releases award inventory I will leave the thread here for the time being. [/mod hat]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.