Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Dealing with the situation of an obese passenger on QF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dealing with the situation of an obese passenger on QF

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Width was the OP's main problem
Ahem!
My width was not the problem!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
This might sound unkind/discriminatory/politically incorrect, but there has to come a point whereby airlines have to refuse the severely morbidly obese as passengers. It becomes about the safety of the obese passenger themself and of other passengers. From watching certain reality TV programmes, I see that people are only getting fatter and fatter, while seats are getting smaller and smaller, and there's no room to increase aisle width. (Rhetorical) If, as in your case, the passenger requires assistance walking, what happens in an emergency?

Surely a line has to be drawn somewhere, preferably along where it's for the greater good, not because "rights".

And I do think QF should have a real policy in place. One that starts at the check-in desk. This tiptoeing about does no one any favours.
Yes, your comments do sound unkind/discriminatory/politically incorrect, but they're also correct. If it's any consolation, you're paying for their health care too.

Unfortunately there's very little that the airline can do about it. What sort of policy should they have in place that wouldn't be derided as discriminatory?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by PaulST

Unfortunately there's very little that the airline can do about it. What sort of policy should they have in place that wouldn't be derided as discriminatory?
Safety should override discrimination. Two tests they could immediately implement in Australia... if the armrests can't go down, you need an additional seat. And if the person next to you is impacted in such a way that they can't adopt safety procedures, you need an additional seat. Between them, these tests would also ensure the comfort of other passengers.

Airlines could mitigate the impact the same way some airlines do in the USA... the passenger buys two seats, but if there is a spare seat on the plane the second seat is refunded.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I had a similar situation in the USA a couple of months ago. I appealed to the FA who cited there was nothing they could do on the grounds of the discrimination laws. We were sitting at a window exit row with fixed armrests, so the 'armrest-down' rule didn't apply. I appealed on safety grounds (reduced mobility) but under US law the only action the airline can take is to ask the (obese) passenger if they satisfy the exit row requirements and if they say 'yes', the airline can't question that.
This is not correct. The airline has absolute and final say (and full responsibility) over the decision of who can sit in an exit row.

FAR Part 121 Sec. 121.585 effective as of 02/26/1996 has the relevant legislation. As far as "discrimination laws" applying, the standard Americans with Disabilities Act does NOT apply for airline travel. There is a similar Air Carrier Access Act specifically for air travel, however it specifically states that FAA regulations around safety/exit rows overrides the normal provisions of the act. ie, it is completely legal to deny access to an exit row for someone with a "disability" for reasons covered by the FAA.

Last edited by docbert; Dec 17, 2017 at 12:26 pm
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
This is not correct. The airline has absolute and final say (and full responsibility) over the decision of who can sit in an exit row.

FAR Part 121 Sec. 121.585 effective as of 02/26/1996 has the relevant legislation. As far as "discrimination laws" applying, the standard Americans with Disabilities Act does NOT apply for airline travel. There is a similar Air Carrier Access Act specifically for air travel, however it specifically states that FAA regulations around safety/exit rows overrides the normal provisions of the act. ie, it is completely legal to deny access to an exit row for someone with a "disability" for reasons covered by the FAA.
We had a bit of a discussion about this at the entry door of the aircraft... the captain, lead flight attendant and gate agent were all present. The gate agent said all they can do is verbally ask the passenger whether they are able to perform all the functions listed under the link you posted above. If the passenger responds with 'yes I am able' the airline (according to them) cannot then override the passenger and say 'no, because you are obese we don't think you can'.

This passenger was able to walk down the aisle unassisted. They had reasonable mobility and (probably) had the ability to lift the exit and do all the other things listed.

The impact was on me not being able to adopt the brace position or to sit without leaning into the aisle.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The other condition some (but not all) airlines enforce for exit rows is that no passengers may use a seat belt extender.

The official line behind this one is that it creates a trip hazard as people exit the plane, but it also obviously works as a limit for excessively large people from sitting in that row.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by goback
HA! I can't imagine Qantas doing that.
They did, although some years ago. I am not sure if they do it nowadays. To my surprise it wasn't even a QF voucher, but an AUD 100 David Jones voucher from memory.

It was a very similar circumstance to yours, although it was a little worse and a little more complicated.

It was a Dash 8. I was in the aisle seat but I felt compelled to swap seat with the passenger when she asked me if I'd swap for her window seat because she'd have difficulties getting into the window seat, so I did.

Armrest between two seats couldn't be put down - although the armrest on my side ( by the window) didn't move so I was crushed against it as I had less than 1/2 of a seat and I'm small but not that small.

Even though I realised, as soon as the passenger next to me and I were seated, that the armrest by the window was a tad painful as it was digging into me, I didn't want to hurt her feelings so I just kept quiet and put up with it. By the time it landed, I had a bit of a bruise on my side, although it wasn't that bad. Thank goodness it wasn't a long flight.

I wrote to QF to say that the situation should have been prevented at the gate as it was quite obvious what was to happen, and if it weren't for the fact that I am small, it's likely that the passenger would not have had sufficient space to actually sit and one of us had to be offloaded from the full flight (which it was). I stated that it was really hard to speak up without embarrassing the passenger once on board, so I kept my mouth shut as I have no desire to hurt someone's feelings or embarrass them, but it makes the point that it is even more important to deal with this kind of situation before boarding for everyone's sake.

I received an apology and a voucher from QF about a week later.
It might have made some difference that I was a high status credit WP though (I think I may have been a Partner Gold-issuing WP then - before P1 was introduced to the programme).
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by PaulST
Are the requirements for sitting in an exit row discriminatory?

Exit row seat requirements and conditions

In order to sit in an exit row seat, you must:
  • be at least fifteen years old
  • not be travelling with someone who needs your assistance in an emergency e.g. an infant or child unless there is another guardian seated elsewhere with the child
  • not require the use of an infant/extension seat belt
  • be willing and able to move quickly and assist crew in an emergency situation
  • be willing and able to listen to a briefing, check outside conditions and follow instructions given in English by crew
  • be physically able to reach, open, lift and throw out an emergency exit up to twenty (20) kgs
  • not be travelling with a service dog
  • not have an amputated or prosthetic limb
  • not have a visual impairment that is not corrected by use of spectacles/glasses/contact lenses, which must be worn during taxi, take-off and landing
  • not have a hearing impairment that is not corrected by use of a hearing aid/device, which must be worn during taxi, take-off and landing.

Note: Hearing aids/devices that use Bluetooth are permitted to be used at all times onboard A330, A380, B737 and QantasLink aircraft. On B747 aircraft, hearing aids/devices that use Bluetooth must be switched off during taxi, takeoff and landing, therefore passengers with Bluetooth hearing aids/devices are not permitted to be seated in exit rows on B747 aircraft.
  • not utilise any part of the aircraft door (or its surrounding area) to rest your feet, or any other personal item(s).
Qantas has the sole discretion, at check-in or boarding, to determine whether a passenger meets the requirements to sit in an exit row seat. If the passenger does not meet the requirements, they will be assigned a different seat.
These requirements aren't derided as discriminatory because of safety reasons. One even points towards the likelihood of a very obese person being denied an exit seat at check-in and being moved to a different seat.

Somewhere, somehow we became a society/societies of offence and feelings being of paramount importance. I am too old for that... so if you ooze into my seat or risk my safety I'm going to forget my manners.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I cannot see how cheaper fares is a bad thing

For those that are happy to pay double to pay equivalent fares of 30 years ago, cabins such as premium economy and business can be purchased to gjve something better than economy of 30 years ago

I am not sure though how that has anything to do with ending up sat next to a person who is unable to fit in the seating area of 1 seat

Cheaper fares are bad, as they don't allow the airline to profitable offering a reasonable seat and service. Its a drive to the bottom.

Not everyone should be able to fly, and ALL of us, needn't fly so much. Myself included.

In the past 30 days I've been to South Pacific, Middle East, Europe and North America, all from a HKG start off point. Only one was required.

I get FT is about minimising travel cost.. but in the end, the airline must make a profit or it won't exist.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given a choice between comfort and price, price wins out
There are a small number who would take comfort ( and there are offerings tailored for them such as Premium Economy )

Why should it be unnecessarily priced out of reach of some customers so that others can have more comfort

If you skipped the flights that you didn't need to take, it would seem that you would be able to afford a higher class of travel
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
It was a Dash 8. .
Aren't all these 2-1 ?

Couldnt the passenger sit in the 1 seat?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
No, they're 2-2.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davem4
Aren't all these 2-1 ?

dash-8s are 2-2
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:44 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by davem4
Aren't all these 2-1 ?

you’ll have to fly on ZL if you want 2-1 seating
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
The other condition some (but not all) airlines enforce for exit rows is that no passengers may use a seat belt extender.

The official line behind this one is that it creates a trip hazard as people exit the plane, but it also obviously works as a limit for excessively large people from sitting in that row.
This is the rule BA applies. I was sat next to someone once that asked for an extension seatbelt to be told these are not permitted on the exit row and they moved him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.