Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas crew are just so darn nice!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Qantas crew are just so darn nice!

Without too much exageration, i have found most Qantas cabin crew to be genuinely nice service oriented people. I am not talking about SQ girls robotic nice or Hainan procedural nice, I mean just good old fashioned "I like my job" nice.

This year I will fly 450,000 miles mostly in economy and so I like to think I can tell the difference between fake nice and "genuine" nice.

Does Qantas actively point grumpy flight attendants to the door? Is there something in their HR procedures that retains so many great flight attendants? Do they have such great working conditions that they really do love their jobs?

One particular manager I encounter often on the Singapore to Sydney route loves his job so much that I hear other flight crew comment on just fantastic he is to work with.

Anyway - whatever it is, I am impressed.
deeruck likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: QR Platinum (OWE) / BA GOLD (OWE)/ CI Emerald (ST E+)/ SQ PPS (*G)
Completely understand your point. Oftentimes QF crews somehow seem genuinely interested in whatever conversation we're in.

Even my mum (who's a loyal CX flyer) said to me that she thought QF crews are really nice.
I guess the abundance of robotic niceness in the industry makes the "genuine" niceness of some QF crews stand out a lot. And personally I find the robotic niceness a bit over the top and uncomfortable and would much prefer the crew to be more natural.

But well, anything is better than grump crew on US carriers.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I think it comes and goes. But having done a couple of long-haul QF flights this year for the first time in a while, as well as regular briefer contact with short-haul cabin crew over the years, my impression is that morale has improved in recent times. And good morale always tends to underlie genuinely warm passenger interactions: if you feel good about your job and you love doing it, it will show.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by davistev

This year I will fly 450,000 miles mostly in economy ...

How many times to the moon and back is that equivalent to?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This year I will fly 450,000 miles mostly in economy and so I like to think I can tell the difference between fake nice and "genuine" nice.
I'd be genuinely darn nice to you if I knew that's what you're subjecting yourself to, to be honest!

But as Globaliser said earlier in the thread, the crew morale seems to have improved at QF lately. I too had darn nice QF crew this year. I love the banter, and I even loved being called "luv" and "darl" You'd never get that on SQ (although not all are robotic - you can have fun with some of them!).
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by pandaperth
This year I will fly 450,000 miles mostly in economy ...

How many times to the moon and back is that equivalent to?
Less than once.

I have a feeling that those who flew to the moon and back may have had less comfort than modern airline economy class.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Less than once.

I have a feeling that those who flew to the moon and back may have had less comfort than modern airline economy class.
But a lower lav-to-pax ratio...
DragonSoul likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by deeruck
But a lower lav-to-pax ratio...
But even the most lowly QF economy meal looks like Michelin star cuisine compared to what was eaten on the trips to the moon .
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i tend to agree. simple thing like they run out ice cream when i asked but brought me stacks of Lindt chocolates (in economy) for "sugar boost" with a.wink, tells me they really do care.

very different style to JAL or CX... JAL is just routine based, CX you get a sense of nuisance when you ask something...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.