Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Have qantas just halved the value of all frequent flyer points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:52 am
Original Poster

ok I dont get what has happened. can someone explain as it doesnt seem like it should be legal?

A trip from Brisbane to Melbourne using points used to always cost 12000 points. It cost this much earlier this year and in all previous years.

Now I look to purchase flights with frequent flyer points on the same route and every single flight for all the months I have looked now costs 24,000 points one way.

Have they just halved the value of the frequent flyer program? If so why are more people not in arms about this? Ive seen nothing in the media about it. Is this a common increase to all routes or just Brisbane to Melbourne. Have Qantas tried to justify it by providing other value to being a frequent flyer and if so what are they?

really confused.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: QFWP
What dates are you looking at?

12k points for all dates I looked on
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

economy is showing as 12k and business as 24k for me
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:33 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
If Qantas had really doubled the points required to redeem awards this thread will already be about 13 pages long.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by asgur5
ok I dont get what has happened. can someone explain as it doesnt seem like it should be legal?

A trip from Brisbane to Melbourne using points used to always cost 12000 points. It cost this much earlier this year and in all previous years.

Now I look to purchase flights with frequent flyer points on the same route and every single flight for all the months I have looked now costs 24,000 points one way.

Have they just halved the value of the frequent flyer program? If so why are more people not in arms about this? Ive seen nothing in the media about it. Is this a common increase to all routes or just Brisbane to Melbourne. Have Qantas tried to justify it by providing other value to being a frequent flyer and if so what are they?

really confused.
Are you looking at the cost of the airfare in points perhaps? Rather than an outright award? That could account for the difference. In this scenario they are selling you a revenue ticket converted to $$ in points.

Or perhaps you are looking at business class.

The underlying points (12000) hasn't changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.