Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dallas to Sydney in main cabin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Dallas to Sydney in main cabin

So have been checking flights from Atlanta to Sydney through Dallas on Qantas. Unfortunately I can't fly business so I am looking for premium economy but I did not see it offered for the flights I am looking at.

Someone I know who is a flight attendant for American out of Dallas was saying that she thinks the main cabin on the Qantas flights are never full because of weight restrictions on that particular jet.

Does anyone have experience flying to Australia out of Dallas on Qantas and if so what are your thoughts? Would it be better to say fly Virgin Australia through LAX and fly Premium Economy ?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
It is true QF goes out below 100% DFW-SYD given flight length and weight restriction.

I think that means fewer pax in Y - surprised that it's W0 assuming you look ahead.

I imagine ATL-LAX isn't a fun segment, so I do think sticking with ATL-DFW-SYD may be better.

Another input into your decision would be which program you want to credit to, of course. And cost I guess.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jmsnyc
Would it be better to say fly Virgin Australia through LAX and fly Premium Economy ?
If the choice is Economy via DFW on Qantas or Premium Economy via LAX on VA, it would be a no brainer to me - take the VA flight
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuuy
It is true QF goes out below 100% DFW-SYD given flight length and weight restriction.

I think that means fewer pax in Y - surprised that it's W0 assuming you look ahead.

I imagine ATL-LAX isn't a fun segment, so I do think sticking with ATL-DFW-SYD may be better.

Another input into your decision would be which program you want to credit to, of course. And cost I guess.
Thanks. If I went Qantas, I'd probably try to add the miles to AA, if I went VA, I'd probably add the miles to Delta, if that is possible. I know Delta is their partner that operates the ATL-LAX flight.

Cost is a big difference , but its a work expense. Does Premium Economy just have more legroom or better food too?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:57 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Marginally better food, very minor upgrade from Y and nowhere near J quality. Seat width and recline and leg room are the primary benefits of PE, with slightly better cabin amenities (soft product). As for VA credit to DL, just got email today from VA announcing changes in this so it depends upon your travel dates.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:46 am

Thanks. If I went Qantas, I'd probably try to add the miles to AA, if I went VA, I'd probably add the miles to Delta, if that is possible. I know Delta is their partner that operates the ATL-LAX flight.

Cost is a big difference , but its a work expense. Does Premium Economy just have more legroom or better food too?
It is more than just better legroom -

it has 41" pitch vs 33" pitch
Seat width is 19.5" vs 18.5"
Reclines an extra 3"
2-4-2 layout rather than 3-3-3

The seating in a premium economy is more akin to a domestic first class seat in the US than an economy seat

If you do a search for virgin australia premium economy, you will find some pictures but one example is https://img.virginaustralia.com/cs/g...s.jpg?v4.59.0=
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately, the flights I am searching the cost is too exorbitant or not available for premium economy. I doubt my company will like it if I book that ticket.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
... depends on how productive you will be the next day after sitting in Y vs W for 20 hours of butt-in-seat travel
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy
... depends on how productive you will be the next day after sitting in Y vs W for 20 hours of butt-in-seat travel
I would hope that the company would not have an expectation of someone working after doing 2.5 to 3 working days of travel
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Unfortunately, the flights I am searching the cost is too exorbitant or not available for premium economy. I doubt my company will like it if I book that ticket.
What method are looking to book the ticket? I'm surprised you are seeing flights where premium economy is not available.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by deeruck
What method are looking to book the ticket? I'm surprised you are seeing flights where premium economy is not available.
Some booking engines may report premium economy is not available because there is no premium economy class at all on the ATL-DFW leg.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

In economy seats, on Qantas A388, are there standard power outlets ?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
In economy seats, on Qantas A388, are there standard power outlets ?
Yes! (Although you would need and adaptor for a UK plug.)

There are power sockets readily accessible for most seats. They on the riser from the floor between each seat of the row of seats in front.

They point at a 45 degree angle to the floor.

Here's a couple of images:

Socket:

This was taken with the camera touching the floor and pointing up slightly.

In the second image, the socket is located underneath a discernible straight part of the curve just above the image centre. (You cannot see the actual socket in the photo)

If you are on a bulkhead, the power sockets are at the front of your seat under the armrest and are only accessible when the TV screen is out and up.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
Yes! (Although you would need and adaptor for a UK plug.)

There are power sockets readily accessible for most seats. They on the riser from the floor between each seat of the row of seats in front.

They point at a 45 degree angle to the floor.

Here's a couple of images:

Socket:

This was taken with the camera touching the floor and pointing up slightly.

In the second image, the socket is located underneath a discernible straight part of the curve just above the image centre. (You cannot see the actual socket in the photo)

If you are on a bulkhead, the power sockets are at the front of your seat under the armrest and are only accessible when the TV screen is out and up.

Thanks again. US plug ?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... click on the photo ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.