Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking JL with QF FF

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Booking JL with QF FF

I've just done a search from MEL to NRT for the dates I want and both JAL and BA frequent flyer sites show 2 seats (or 4 the day prior) in business class. However when I phoned Qantas the operator insisted there was nothing available - except for around 2 weeks earlier.

I've read elsewhere that Qantas operators are often bad at booking JAL flights and don't follow correct process to find the availability - but has anyone got advice on exactly what I need to ask when I get through again?

EDIT: Just noticed the date two weeks prior that they said it was available the QF flight was available - which obviously wasn't the flight I asked for.

Last edited by abbaskip; Jun 12, 2017 at 11:06 pm
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:13 am
Original Poster

So after calling back I got offered the call back service due to long wait times. When I was phoned back it was someone in QF Premium - and they didnt even question the JAL availability. Said straight away that it was there and the cost...Turned out I was 5000 points short (due to JAL flights costing more than QF).

I've now had to get my brother to family transfer me the 5k and I'm calling back again

EDIT: Finally got through (1 hour hold) second time - and the guy is telling me no availability either day (my preferred date has 2 seats on BA/JL, the day prior has 4 seats). I've asked him to check with a supervisor if there is another way to search JAL, as the lady earlier had the seats held and ready to go before realising I was just too low in points.

Last edited by abbaskip; Jun 13, 2017 at 1:36 am
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have not come across any QF operator who could find JL availability even though availability can be seen and can be booked (therefore not a phantom) on BA.

Occasionally when they refer the matter someone can see it, but in most cases they are so reluctant to do so that I have given up bothering and use my BA Avios to book JL flights.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

I ended up getting it booked. He spoke to a supervisor and "remembered" that JAL has to be done another way. So be persistent, ask them to speak to a supervisor - and tell them that you've booked JAL with them before and know that it needs to be done another way.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
It is a known and highly reported problem over on AFF. There is a simple fix which unfortunately is up to the education of the agent on the phone. The prompt to the agent needs to be: "I believe JL flights need to be booked in a different screen/system/window. It needs to be opened separately to the normal system"

I have 100% success rate of booking JL flights through QF when availability is shown on the BA search engine. Not 100% on the first call, but the space is definitely there you just need the right agent!
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by travelislife
I"I believe JL flights need to be booked in a different screen/system/window. It needs to be opened separately to the normal system"
Done that, and still failed, and booked with BA Avios in the end, twice in a row. After that, I lost the will to keep trying QF for JL seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.