Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Very happy with Business saver sale fare BUT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very happy with Business saver sale fare BUT

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Platy

On the other hand, I'm seeing my browser offer up ads related to recent flight searches on the QF website...
That just indicates that you need a decent hosts file to stop them appearing
Old May 28, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I use firstclass.com.au for business and first specials from Sydney
Old May 28, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Glad to hear you got a great deal. I just thought I would comment on your final sentence - re Philippine Airlines in particular. Earlier this year I was in HK needing to urgently get to the UK during Chinese New Year - which is a horrendous time to try and exit China - normal ticket prices ex-HK in Biz were over AUD5k and so I ended up on Philippine airlines (for less than AUD2k - so quite a difference!). Their business class product is fine. It's not as good as QF or CX, but it's certainly not half the value. Angled flat beds were very comfortable. Entertainment was not great and food was lacking, but the service was excellent. Just for next time.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by fairhsa
Glad to hear you got a great deal. I just thought I would comment on your final sentence - re Philippine Airlines in particular. Earlier this year I was in HK needing to urgently get to the UK during Chinese New Year - which is a horrendous time to try and exit China - normal ticket prices ex-HK in Biz were over AUD5k and so I ended up on Philippine airlines (for less than AUD2k - so quite a difference!). Their business class product is fine. It's not as good as QF or CX, but it's certainly not half the value. Angled flat beds were very comfortable. Entertainment was not great and food was lacking, but the service was excellent. Just for next time.
Thanks for the heads up on Philippine Airlines - my concern is more about transiting Manila - when flying to/from YVR there is one 11 hour connection - also the departure time ex-YVR is like 2am. I've read that Manila airport is best to be avoiding - a bit of a rat hole complete with corrupt officials.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by pschafer
My husband and I have been on the lookout (for a few months) for the best business class fare (SYD-YVR direct or via one-stop) next Jan/Feb. (Sadly we missed out on booking award tickets when the booking window opened.) So it seems the best deal was Korean Air at about $5000 pp then yesterday just when we were about to pull the trigger we double checked various web sites and low and behold there was a QF business sale fare at about $5300 pp. Amazing - we thought so immediately purchased.
This past March, my wife and I were in Auckland and would be heading back to Seattle.

Before I left on the trip, I checked coming back on United (ACK-SFO-SEA) for BC fares and was surprised to see there was a listing for FC on United for 80K miles plus a few dollars. Since I had about 100K FF mileage with United, I jumped on it for one ticket for my wife as she's never riden FC in her life.

Now I had to scramble and finally found a deal for myself about 2 weeks before we were leaving. $2000 for a BC fair on Hawaian. The reason for the low price was that I had to fly to SYD on Emeriates and then Hawaian (SYD-HNL-SEA).

I kept watching United for a deal that never happened, but I was ready for them if it did. I had 20K FF miles left after getting my wife's ticket. On the United website, they were selling bonus miles and for the 60K that I need, the price was only around $1250. It would certainly be a bargain for a FC or even a BC for ACK-SOF-SEA. One day they did offer the flight but it was for a day earlier and we were still on tour that day.

The point of this long post is check daily for these deals as the door opens and closes quickly. To this day, I've wonder if I could have picked up another seat of the flight my wife took if I had paid the $1250 for the extra 60K of FF mileage I would have needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.