Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Is Qantas dropping the ball on Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Qantas dropping the ball on Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by M.Wilson

I am surprised AC are flying to all East Coast AUS ports now- where are the pax coming from to fill these flights? Many Canadians I know think Australia to 'too far away' and don't want to 'sit in a tin can for 15 hours'. For Aussies going northwards it one thing for ski season in Dec/ Jan/ Feb and going on to Whistler, Banff etc. but who is traveling when it's not school holidays? Vancouver is big city but nowhere near the size of US ports in terms of a business destination.
Demographically, Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney have far more in common with Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto than they do with Adelaide or Hobart. Many many families have close connections within the Asian / ME / Indian communities. The world has changed!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Great thread!

I moved from SYD to YYC nine years ago. In my time here, star alliance has held and maintained the lead quite comfortably for Canadian based flyers. AC through YVR has one stop and frequent connectivity to anywhere in Canada, and UA offers the same through SFO or LAX to most major cities.

Now with AC service to MEL, BNE and SYD, UA from IAH to SYD as well as NZ making a serious attempt to capture this traffic things are getting more competitive which is a good thing. Although all the extra traffic has made YVR a less attractive transit point. The last few times for me have been extremely slow and no better than transiting through SFO (even LAX has improved)

My my parents are QF loyal and fly J to visit me typically twice a year. In comparison their options are usually poor. Typically they route through DFW and have a long layover and sub-optimal flight path to get here. SFO, YVR and LAX are sometimes options but the QF/WJ partnership is far from seamless.

Almost every time I’ve done the YVR/SYD flight in either direction at any time of year it has been 100% full. Like others here I’m extremely surprised QF hasn’t tried to make this route work.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is less important whether an aeroplane is full, but more on what margin it can make. It may just well be that the route can be profitable but using the aeroplanes on another route is more profitable
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I've done the exact opposite... Amy my switch from *A to OW has made me a happier traveler... While still getting *G through PPS on SQ (easy!).

However, going home for Christmas / Summer is always a pain. I find it easier to take CX / JL via HKG/NRT to YVR easier, and then buying WestJet for the last leg.

But my oh my, our first world problems remain strong!

Originally Posted by david_oz
I moved from SYD to YYC nine years ago. In my time here, star alliance has held and maintained the lead quite comfortably for Canadian based flyers. AC through YVR has one stop and frequent connectivity to anywhere in Canada, and UA offers the same through SFO or LAX to most major cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.