Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

OneWorld Ruby Baggage Allowance On Qantas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, SPG

Have AB Silver (OW Ruby) status. I saw Qantas Silver (OW Ruby) has extra baggage allowance but don't see anything about extra baggage for OW Ruby (non-Qantas people). Is this correct? I'm on a BA award ticket so the cost to buy extra luggage is $122 per 5kg (not a mistake). Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by onesweetworld
Have AB Silver (OW Ruby) status. I saw Qantas Silver (OW Ruby) has extra baggage allowance but don't see anything about extra baggage for OW Ruby (non-Qantas people). Is this correct? I'm on a BA award ticket so the cost to buy extra luggage is $122 per 5kg (not a mistake). Thanks in advance!
There is no Oneworld benefit granting additional baggage allowance. Your ticketed allowance is that which is what you are entitled to

A person holding Sapphire or Emerald status does have access to additional allowances

If additional baggage allowances are important , perhaps see whether you can find availability on a carrier which uses a piece based system ( such as BA )
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, SPG
UPDATE:

So I just flew from SYD-DPS on Qantas and had AB Silver (OW Ruby) status. I didn't end up bringing a second bag because I was afraid of the insane 2nd checked bag fee. I did ask the counter agent to clarify the policy for future trips and she said OW Ruby get same baggage benefits of Qantas Silver which is an extra 15kg allowance on top of 30kg standard allowance. Can be as many bags as you want as long as you don't go over 45kg. Really annoying the website doesn't clarify this but hopefully this is helpful for future flyers.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
UPDATE:

So I just flew from SYD-DPS on Qantas and had AB Silver (OW Ruby) status. I didn't end up bringing a second bag because I was afraid of the insane 2nd checked bag fee. I did ask the counter agent to clarify the policy for future trips and she said OW Ruby get same baggage benefits of Qantas Silver which is an extra 15kg allowance on top of 30kg standard allowance. Can be as many bags as you want as long as you don't go over 45kg. Really annoying the website doesn't clarify this but hopefully this is helpful for future flyers.
Thanks for the update, but I'm not sure the check-in agent was correct. The proof would be if the system actually accepts the bag (without charging). There is no mention of additional baggage allowance for OWR on the QF site, or on the OW site.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no Oneworld benefit granting additional baggage allowance. Your ticketed allowance is that which is what you are entitled to

A person holding Sapphire or Emerald status does have access to additional allowances
Just to add context to Dave's post, here's the relevant page from the oneWorld website - clearly the ow alliance benefits don't start until sapphire.

Regards,

BD
Old May 3, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I am very confused what we are allowed on a QF domestic flight in economy for AA Exec Platinum.
The OW site says an extra 20K.
The AA site says an additional bag at the same weight (23K).
The QF site says QF Platinums get 2 bags at 32k each.
So if Exec Plat = Emerald = QF Plat, shouldn't the later be true?
I called AA exec plat desk, he says definitely 2 bags but not sure of weight <rolling eyes>
Looked at our QF rez and it's blank under bag allowance.
I called QF USA and spoke to a Indian call center -- she says Emeralds get 2 @32k (although I was put on hold for 20 minutes for her to find this out!)

How can I find out the definite answer to this before I get to the airport? I would love to have something in writing!
Old May 3, 2017, 3:29 pm

The AA page does not have details of QF domestic allowances
The QF page has details for QF members

The relevant pages for general OW allowances is https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/extra-baggage-allowance and https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges

Originally Posted by OneWorld
As an Emerald frequent flyer you can check in one additional bag for free in addition to your ticketed baggage allowance when you fly on oneworld airlines. If your ticket mentions a weight allowance, you can check in an extra 20kgs (44lbs). (This benefit is not available on British Airways 'Hand Baggage Only' fares on select short-haul routes.)
the other page states

Originally Posted by OneWorld
Extra baggage allowance for Emerald frequent flyers

As an Emerald frequent flyer you can check in one additional bag for free in addition to your ticketed baggage allowance when you fly on oneworld airlines. If your ticket mentions a weight allowance, you can check in an extra 20kgs (44lbs). (This benefit is not available on British Airways 'Hand Baggage Only' fares on select short-haul routes.)

Qantas's domestic allowance is at https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...mestic-flights and indicates 1 piece max 23Kg in economy and 2 pieces max 32Kg in business . You are therefore entitles to 2x23Kg in economy and 3x32Kg in business

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 3, 2017 at 3:55 pm
Old May 4, 2017, 9:45 am

Thanks Dave. But I'm still a bit confused by the "if your ticket mentions a weight allowance..."
wouldn't that mean 2 bags @ 23k PLUS an "extra 20kgs" ?

I guess we better play it safe and pre-pay the 35AUD for the extra bag. Sounds like it'll be very expensive if we wait until getting to the airport
Old May 4, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by chavala
Thanks Dave. But I'm still a bit confused by the "if your ticket mentions a weight allowance..."
wouldn't that mean 2 bags @ 23k PLUS an "extra 20kgs" ?

I guess we better play it safe and pre-pay the 35AUD for the extra bag. Sounds like it'll be very expensive if we wait until getting to the airport
No -
Where a piece allowance is used , then 1 extra piece
Where a weight allowance is used, the 20Kg

Domestically, Qantas uses a piece allowance, so one extra piece is permitted
If this was a flight to , say, London , then the allowance would be 30Kg in economy. As a OW Emerald member, you would therefore be allowed a total of 50Kg

On a domestic booking, the economy allowance is piece based, so therefore 1 extra pieve for a total of 3x23kg in economy
Old May 4, 2017, 2:09 pm

Thanks Dave!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
UPDATE:

Sorry to restart a rather old thread, I didn't want to start a new one; has there been any recent experience in this? Mrs Wilsnunn will be flying on QF in Y in a few weeks and she is OWR (BA Bronze) and is wondering if she will get the 30kg or the 42kg that "Qantas Club members and Silver Qantas Frequent Flyers" get. (ref: http://www.qantas.com/gb/en/travel-i...mestic-flights)

Last edited by wilsnunn; Apr 22, 2019 at 9:13 am Reason: Added link to webpage on QF website
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:26 pm

There is no additional allowance for a passenger with OneWorld Ruby status
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Thank you @Dave Noble
Old May 25, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
I am QR Platinum flying QF domestic in J. I note that the J allowance is one piece (amx 32 kg).

At: Checked baggage | Qantas GB it states

oneworld partners

Tiered frequent flyers from our oneworld partner airlines may be eligible for additional checked baggage when flying on Qantas.

The below table outlines the total baggage allowance for oneworld tiered passengers:Outlining checked baggage allowances by oneworld tier membershipTicketed Economy Allowanceoneworld

Ruby
oneworld

Sapphire
oneworld

Emerald
International (excluding USA & Canada)Total of 30kgsTotal of 30kgsTotal of 45kgsTotal of 50kgsInternational USA & CanadaTotal of 2 pc (23kg each)Total of 2 pc (23kg each)Total of 2 pc (23kg each)Total of 3 pc (23kg each)Domestic AustraliaTotal of 1 pc (23kg each)Total of 1 pc (23kg each)Total of 2 pc (23kg each)Total of 2 pc (23kg each)
Meaning I get 1 x 32 & 2 x 23, but at:

https://www.oneworld.com/travel-bene...world-priority it states:

Emerald Privileges: Extra baggage allowance*** ***Extra baggage allowance for Emerald frequent flyers

As an Emerald frequent flyer, the following special baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines:
  • On itineraries using the baggage allowance “weight” system - 20 kgs in addition to the ticketed cabin allowance.
  • On itineraries using the “piece system” - one additional bag for free in addition to your ticketed baggage allowance.
Does that mean 1 x 32 for J plus 1 x 32 for Emerald

Really confusing, as I will have 6 bags to check in, and need to ensure I purchase the correct excess luggage.
Old May 25, 2019, 3:26 am

If you are travelling on a domestic itinerary in business class, the ticketed allowance is 2 pieces of 32kg ; as a OW Emerald member, you will get 1 additonal piece for a total of 3
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.