Wiki Posts
Search

QF Segments

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
QF Segments

I need to fly 3 segments on QF. All my other flights have been on One World carriers.

I'll be travelling to Longreach from Brisbane. If I book Brisbane to Barcaldine and then Barcaldine to Longreach as separate flights, and then just book the return from Longreach direct, would that could as 3 segments. The two flights between Brisbane-Barcaldine and Barcaldine-Longreach would be on the same day on the same physical aircraft.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by weegraeme
I need to fly 3 segments on QF. All my other flights have been on One World carriers.

I'll be travelling to Longreach from Brisbane. If I book Brisbane to Barcaldine and then Barcaldine to Longreach as separate flights, and then just book the return from Longreach direct, would that could as 3 segments. The two flights between Brisbane-Barcaldine and Barcaldine-Longreach would be on the same day on the same physical aircraft.
It may count as 2 segments, rather than 1 - what will the impact be if it counts only as 1? when will you take another QF flight

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 1, 2017 at 7:47 pm
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It may count as 2 segments, rather than 1 - what will the impact be if it counts only as 1? when will you take another QF flight
I have none booked and I'm not specifically likely to. It'll cost me $150 more to book it that way, so maybe I should just fly to Sydney for a day. :-)
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have none booked and I'm not specifically likely to. It'll cost me $150 more to book it that way, so maybe I should just fly to Sydney for a day. :-)
Perhaps fly to Canberra for the day - that can easily get 3 sectors with no risk

I would also consider what the cost of the sectors is vs the value. If it is to get Gold or Platinum status, it could be worthwhile for the benefits of lounge accedd; if it will only get Silver status, I would think about whether there is enough value in Silver status to make it worth the cost
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Perhaps fly to Canberra for the day - that can easily get 3 sectors with no risk

I would also consider what the cost of the sectors is vs the value. If it is to get Gold or Platinum status, it could be worthwhile for the benefits of lounge accedd; if it will only get Silver status, I would think about whether there is enough value in Silver status to make it worth the cost
I'm going to Longreach regardless. I actually got one QF segment within my membership year already, so I need 3.

It's only to get silver, but for the luggage allowance on UK flights later this year ($80 per kg from Australia to UK).

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited by weegraeme; Apr 1, 2017 at 8:27 pm Reason: Corrected excess luggage price
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As BNE-BCI is QF2532 and BCI-LRE is also QF2532 Qantas may count this as 1 flight even if booked separately. But you would still need to check in at BCI boarding gate. Worth a phone call to QF. BNE-BCI-LRE great circle map.

You may find a cheap flight from BNE or OOL for less than the $150 extra you are paying. OOL is not far from BNE and easy to get to. JQ with a bundle gets the ~

{RIP: the bus}
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You may find a cheap flight from BNE or OOL for less than the $150 extra you are paying. OOL is not far from BNE and easy to get to. JQ with a bundle gets the ~

It's a nice thought, but all QF flights from BNE-OOL are via SYD or MEL. :-)

Jetstar isn't showing any as those legs would have to be bought separately.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may find a cheap flight from BNE or OOL for less than the $150 extra you are paying. OOL is not far from BNE and easy to get to.
JQ with a bundle gets the ~
It's a nice thought, but all QF flights from BNE-OOL are via SYD or MEL. :-)
Not from, BNE to OOL, but from BNE or OOL to somewhere
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
As BNE-BCI is QF2532 and BCI-LRE is also QF2532 Qantas may count this as 1 flight even if booked separately. But you would still need to check in at BCI boarding gate. Worth a phone call to QF.
It does only count as one. You can only credit one flight with the same flight number per calendar day to your FF account. The second "flight" won't even show up on the activity statement at all. Not only does it not count for a QF segment, you don't earn status credits or points either.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
What ButFli says. Just wait and nab a $79 or $89 flight from BNI to somewhere in SE QLD (Emerald, Gladstone, Hervey Bay etc). It'll be cheaper and they come up often. Plus you can spend a nice Saturday or Sunday on a scenic flight ✈️������
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:55 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
As BNE-BCI is QF2532 and BCI-LRE is also QF2532 Qantas may count this as 1 flight even if booked separately. But you would still need to check in at BCI boarding gate. Worth a phone call to QF. BNE-BCI-LRE great circle map.

Ahhh, you mentioned the xxx and I think you got away with it
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
Ahhh, you mentioned the xxx and I think you got away with it
That was so long ago many people now do not know what it means
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
Just thinking OP...

On the way back, if you can get driven to Barcaldine, you can get a ticket BCI-LRE-BNE with different flight numbers for each segment.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ButFli
Just thinking OP...

On the way back, if you can get driven to Barcaldine, you can get a ticket BCI-LRE-BNE with different flight numbers for each segment.
Thanks. I never thought of that. I've already booked my flights though.

It would probably be a bit of an ask to expect someone to drive 216km, and effectively beat them back to their place, just so I can get extra baggage allowance. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.