Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Advice kindly sought re access to Qantas 1st Class Lounge @ SYD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice kindly sought re access to Qantas 1st Class Lounge @ SYD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:22 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Express lanes are useful for me despite having an ePassport. Australian smartgate machines do not like my passport (not once have I been able to get through either arriving or departing).
Likewise, Mrs og's e-Passport (Oz) is disliked by SmartGate machines especially in SYD T1 arrrivals. The counter staff say "no problem" but she (and I) can't get her's to function. Frustratingly, her passport works faultlessly in NZ and the US.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:59 pm

Returning to BNE from AKL a couple weeks ago - my own passport, that off my travelling companion, and many other Aussies off the EK flight simply didn't work in the kiosk.

Mentioned this to the officer and he was completely dismissive (in a "that happens all the time" sort off manner).

Obviously a major problem at large....
Old Nov 26, 2016, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes there is often quite a line for smartgate assistance (i.e. passport is rejected by the machine). I don't have anywhere near as many issues in NZ on the same passport.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by serfty
Airports are different.

SYD has express lanes for both immigration and customs.

MEL has none for customs.

If you have an ePassport then the express lanes generally don't come into play.
I've never seen an express lane for customs in Sydney. I'll have a good look for it next trip.

Last edited by Annalisa12; Nov 26, 2016 at 2:51 pm
Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Platy
You may well be right....I'm only going on my personal experience here - every single time I've held an express card I have been able to bypass (what I assume to be the post-passport / luggage collection) customs / quarantine inspection process by showing my express card and arrivals card to one of the officers (presumably at the officer's discretion hence my use of the conditional tense in my post), who has directed me straight to an exit to the landside arrivals hall...
Sounds like normal procedure for everyone. They direct you to exit after looking at your declarations card and if you have nothing to declare you can go straight to arrivals hall.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Platy
You may well be right....I'm only going on my personal experience here - every single time I've held an express card I have been able to bypass (what I assume to be the post-passport / luggage collection) customs / quarantine inspection process by showing my express card and arrivals card to one of the officers (presumably at the officer's discretion hence my use of the conditional tense in my post), who has directed me straight to an exit to the landside arrivals hall...

...in fact, IIRC, there is some signage marked "Express Path" to the far right of the hall just beyond the baggage carousels (accepting layouts may have changed since I was last arriving into SYD which was mid 2015 and I only travel with one small carry on bag)...so I respectfully beg to differ pending others sharing their own and possibly more recent experiences...
The express path only provides a dedicated queue to get to the customs officer. Whether you get directed to exit or directed to a queue for secondary inspection is not impacted by the queue that you join. I generally get out without further inspection but that is based on the agent's determination ( which I assume takes into account nationality and risk , where passenger has come from and probably other factors ). If you did not have an express pass card, the outcome would likely have been the same
Old Nov 26, 2016, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I've never seen an express lane for customs in Sydney. I'll have a good look for it next trip.
Look for the lanes designated overhead by the italic script font e.

They take you to the same place (nexus) as the other queues, but normally there are less PAX using them.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Yes there is often quite a line for smartgate assistance (i.e. passport is rejected by the machine). I don't have anywhere near as many issues in NZ on the same passport.
Me too, my NZ passport always works in NZ but about 50% in AUS. Staff seem pretty used to it. One of them commented that I might have put on some weight since the passport photo was taken - said and accepted in good humour - mostly as it is true! Too much grazing in the lounge.
Nevertheless there does seem to be a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.