Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Almost two years since flown QF - Row 1 and Domestic Upgrade Q's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Almost two years since flown QF - Row 1 and Domestic Upgrade Q's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Question Almost two years since flown QF - Row 1 and Domestic Upgrade Q's

Based on the UK I have moved to BAEC (now Gold) but due to timing am also QF WP. Have booked a trip back to Oz and thought I would use some of my 500,000 QFF points to upgrade. EF tells me there is U class available for an Economy to Business upgrade, yet the request shows as pending. Economy fare class booked is L and Q, which appears to valid. Two others were granted instantly. Has something changed as I seem to meet the criteria on the qantas.com.

Also, I notice Row 1 is booked on a lot of the flights. Appreciate this is some time away, but I would have thought they would be open to WP, or OWE if I enter my BAEC number. Is this also new?

Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:38 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Jase76
Also, I notice Row 1 is booked on a lot of the flights. Appreciate this is some time away, but I would have thought they would be open to WP, or OWE if I enter my BAEC number. Is this also new?
WP is quite common. Very common on Oz domestic (eg SYD-MEL). It’s 4th in the pecking order after staff & crew, CL and P1. The front row(s) might open up at T-80 hours.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:22 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
On domestic flights the first row of economy and business is blocked off except for CL and sometimes P1 (varies by flight and route, but never available for low status like WP and fwiw OWE is below WP for upgrade clearance purposes ).
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by number_6
On domestic flights the first row of economy and business is blocked off ... never available for low status like WP ....
This is incorrect.

At T-80 hours the seat maps 'open up' and WP can indeed generally select from the front two ros of economy.

Never say Never.

(T-80 is 3 days and 8 hours before a flight. So if you flight is at 5pm on the 24th then at 9am on the 21st any unallocated seat can become available.)
kirkwoodj likes this.

Last edited by serfty; Feb 21, 2019 at 12:34 pm
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:50 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The thread had already covered the T-80 situation, so it was not relevant to repeat it in my post And it is NEVER for prior seat allocation, not even WP status. At T-something EVERYONE can select, so even bronze (no status) can get it. And often do
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by number_6
The thread had already covered the T-80 situation, so it was not relevant to repeat it in my post And it is NEVER for prior seat allocation, not even WP status. At T-something EVERYONE can select, so even bronze (no status) can get it. And often do
never say never ...

Also, with "notional seating" it depends on several variables such as who's on the flight, how sold it may be, etc. whether bronze gets access to those seats at t-80.

I have seen both situations within the last week when assisting my bronze brother. In both cases seats were unallocated in row 4 at t-80. One flight he could select a row 4 seat, in the other no.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Well, I have an EF seat alert set and will check at T-80h and see what is available! Just don't recall now being able to get Row 1 on QF before, but it has been a while. Thanks for the replies.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Have you checked and see if the points are still there?
Have you had activity in the past 18 months with QF?
Points get deleted from accounts with no QF activity of 18 months.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
Have you checked and see if the points are still there?
Have you had activity in the past 18 months with QF?
Points get deleted from accounts with no QF activity of 18 months.
For sure, credited the occasional BA flight to make sure nothing expired in 18 months.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Good to know that you are aware that points do go off QFF accounts if no activity in 18 months..
Jase76 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
If /U/ is available and upgrade says pending, I give QF a call and most times they wiggle it a little, my status on QF is gold.

(if anyone is worried about their points expiring, please feel free to order some wine to my house. Happy to oblige :-) )
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
If /U/ is available and upgrade says pending, I give QF a call and most times they wiggle it a little, my status on QF is gold.
Took this advice and spent 40m on the phone! Agent had no idea what she was on about, saying:
  1. Because my MCY - SYD - MEL route was part of an international itinerary, this will be classed as an International Classic Upgrades. (Got her to read out the T&C's and it didn't even say this).
  2. Explained I'd already upgraded online SYD - MEL and SYD - PER online, with instant confirmation. She said this was a mistake and will write to the web team to get it fixed.
  3. Asked to speak to her manager, she eventually came back and said they would upgrade MCY - SYD as a favour.
  4. Was tempted to HUACA but I'd already spent 30m on the phone, so asked to speak to her manager again.
  5. He agreed with everything I said and the upgrade was processed in a few mins.
QF customer service at its finest I normally wouldn't bother a J upgrade on such short flights but have a few QFF to use and crediting to BAEC only got me minimal TPs and Avios.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:42 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Jase76
QF customer service at its finest I normally wouldn't bother a J upgrade on such short flights but have a few QFF to use and crediting to BAEC only got me minimal TPs and Avios.
An unfortunate way to get what you want - even if the phone agent was out of their depth. IMO once you throw the “supervisor” card, all pleasantness in the interraction evaporates.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og

An unfortunate way to get what you want - even if the phone agent was out of their depth. IMO once you throw the “supervisor” card, all pleasantness in the interraction evaporates.
I’ve done my stint in customer service and hate asking for the manager, and always ensure I treat any customer service representative with respect and how I would want to be spoken to. The result is exactly as you describe with a downward trend in her attitude. However this QF agent was just making stuff up, and wasn’t too pleasant to begin with!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
There is a time to hang up and start again....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.