Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Advice kindly sought • Longish lay-over in DXB (QF F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Firstly, many thanks for the taking the time to read this.

I just wanted to get some advice about a longish lay-over coming up at DXB in late December.

Basically, I managed to get my Aussie better half (the worse half, me, being Pom ) a good deal with pre-devaluation AA miles on QF 1st to SYD, but the trade-off was a 10 hr 30 min lay-over in DXB. I appreciate that, as a QF 1st passenger, she has access to the Emirates 1st class lounge at DXB -- so I don't know whether there would be anywhere there for her to get her head down? -- or is there a transit hotel that anyone might recommend (if one exists at DXB)? Indeed, any suggestions at all for her killing 10+ hours, especially peacefully or sleeping, would be gratefully received!

Again, thanks for reading.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is an airside transit hotel at Dubai - see http://www.dubaiairporthotel.com/

There are also plenty of airports close to the airport if she wishes to clear immigration and stay at another hotel
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:46 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The F lounge is fine for spending 10 hours in. It is a huge lounge (stretching to the horizon) with lots of different facilities, including a spa and quiet rooms. Nicer than most hotels
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:28 pm

It is basically a large pleasant waiting room - 10 hours sat there will bore the person senseless I expect. Book a room at the transit hotel or nearby hotel
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
It was not QF, nor EK. But rather recently, had similar situation. Polite e-mail to the issuing carrier asking about possibility of STPC resulted in near immediate response and to my surprise, STPC. And yes, it was reward booking and it was in business class.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:24 pm

With an involuntary 10 hour connection, I would have thought that Dubai Connect would be offered , but does have the drawback of being off airport. If not too expensive , the transit hotel is more conveniant
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is basically a large pleasant waiting room - 10 hours sat there will bore the person senseless I expect. Book a room at the transit hotel or nearby hotel
Where she can spend 7 hours bored shirtless with a bit of transit and immigration thrown in for good measure? Far more appealing
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Dave N / number_6 / vbroucek / seat_4D,

Thank you all for your input, genuinely. And I'd not even heard of STPC, so that's great to know. I really do appreciate all the advice -- thanks to you, my partner has some good options now, and I'm extremely grateful for your advice! Cheers, guys!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:37 am
Original Member

It sounds like your ticket is issued by AA and normally STPC is arranged by the ticketing airline, so let us know how you go with DXB. QF has a pretty good record of providing F benefits to awards but not sure where STPC fits in, I've never had a long transit on an award ticket in 20 years (most are point to point). Still think EK F lounge in Concourse A (where QF docks) is better than most hotels would be.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Number_6, you're right -- the QF F flights were booked via AAdv miles. I'll ask my partner to enquire with Qantas as to the likelihood of this STPC being granted for her -- would you suggest a particular Qantas email address for her to use in order to enquire? (Ordinarily, she'd probably call, but she's on location for work in, of all places, the Namibian desert right now. )
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:24 pm
Original Member

You can try QF, but normally AA would have to arrange for STPC and pay for it, as this ticket is sold by AA not QF. If you had used QFF award then you would have gotten DXB Connect automatically http://www.qantas.com/travel/airline...nect/global/en
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
number_6 is IMHO right - you need to ask the ticketing airline. In the case I mentioned, my flights were all OS numbers, some operated by TG, but ticketed by LH (M&M) so I contacted LH and all communication I had was with LH. Interestingly though, the voucher I received said "Charge to Austrian Airline Account #XXXXXXXX".
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:24 am

In the 1st instance, I would suggest simply going to the webpage for booking chauffeurs and dubai connect and see whether it is offered
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Again Dave / number_6 / vbroucek, thanks a lot for the great advice -- I'll let you know what the other half finds out.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by number_6
The F lounge is fine for spending 10 hours in. It is a huge lounge (stretching to the horizon) with lots of different facilities, including a spa and quiet rooms. Nicer than most hotels
This is a beautiful lounge granted, but 10 hours here is not at all recommended. Definitely find a hotel; either airside hotel (which is expensive but very nice) or a close one to airport vicinity such as Le Meridien, or my fav, Park Hyatt which is a 5-10 min drive as opposed to a few minute drive to Le Meridien.

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Jul 30, 2016 at 1:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.