Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

A380 water from the hold "triple filtered" in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum

Flew US-Australia in J on the beloved 'roo.

Noticed in the galley they had stainless steel pitchers instead of water bottles.
Asked if it it was bottled the FA said "it's triple filtered" (i.e., from the hold). I asked when the water hold was last sanitised and did not receive a response.
Asked for bottled water - eventually she relented and I got two bottles from Y.

Is non-bottled water now common practice in QF international J? Is that hold water actually safe to drink given the "triple filtering"?

I also did notice in the crew areas a bunch of 1.5L water bottles half drunk - I would NEVER insinuate that they were taking pax water for themselves... But was weird that it was all the same brand.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shuuy
Flew US-Australia in J on the beloved 'roo.

Noticed in the galley they had stainless steel pitchers instead of water bottles.
Asked if it it was bottled the FA said "it's triple filtered" (i.e., from the hold). I asked when the water hold was last sanitised and did not receive a response.
Asked for bottled water - eventually she relented and I got two bottles from Y.

Is non-bottled water now common practice in QF international J? Is that hold water actually safe to drink given the "triple filtering"?

Business and Premium Economy passengers have been served from the aircraft 'potable water' supply for about six months now.

https://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetal...um-passengers/

I also did notice in the crew areas a bunch of 1.5L water bottles half drunk - I would NEVER insinuate that they were taking pax water for themselves... But was weird that it was all the same brand.
Why mention it then?
The crew have their own supply.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:28 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I asked when the water hold was last sanitised and did not receive a response....
Is that hold water actually safe to drink given the "triple filtering"?.
When were your house pipes last sanitised?
What about the dams?

Do you think Qantas would be serving it if it wasnt safe?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Not stainless steel pitchers but silver which is anti-bacterial.
The antibacterial activity of silver has long been known and has found a variety of applications because its toxicity to human cells is considerably lower than to bacteria. The most widely documented uses are prophylactic treatment of burns and water disinfection. However, the mechanisms by which silver kills cells are not known. Information on resistance mechanisms is apparently contradictory and even the chemistry of Ag+ in such systems is poorly understood.
US National Library of Medicines
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:54 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Just 'coz the water is in a plastic bottle doesn't mean it's any different to water that comes out of a tap - whether in the air or on the ground. Can we please reduce our fanatical want for bottled water.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:56 am

At least for US airlines, the EPA requires airlines with potable water to sanitize the water lines at certain intervals. Also for most aircraft built today, the potable water servicing ports are usually not right next to the lavatory servicing ports any more so less risk of cross contamination.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
How comfortable I'd feel would largely depend on the water supply that supplied the tank.

Do QF A380s go anywhere where the mains water supply is dodgy? If not, I wouldn't be too worried - chlorine in mains water supply will probably end up sanitising the tank - assuming that they do clean the tank properly.

However, if it has taken water from a dodgy supply, then I may not feel at all comfortable about it, because I don't think carbon filter removes all the nasties.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:11 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Do QF A380s go anywhere where the mains water supply is dodgy? .......
380s into SYD, MEL, LAX, DXB, HKG, LHR. I'd expect mains water to be perfectly safe in these places. Even the 744 destinations should have perfectly safe mains water SIN, HKG, TYO, SCL (usually), JNB, YVR, SFO, LAX, JFK.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Not stainless steel pitchers but silver which is anti-bacterial.
The jugs are NOT silver, they are stainless steel, which also has antibacterial properties—its why commercial kitchens counters, etc. are SS.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:31 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by og
Just 'coz the water is in a plastic bottle doesn't mean it's any different to water that comes out of a tap - whether in the air or on the ground. Can we please reduce our fanatical want for bottled water.
Thank you. I'm sure they add things in the bottled water to prolong the shelf life.

I don't mind having a small amount of the nasties in me. I think it actually helped for my frequent trips to South Asia.

People complain about getting Delhi belly when traveling to South Asia. I've not gotten once and I go frequently...knock on wood.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 9:35 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I'm more concerned about the taste. When I've drawn water from those taps the water hasn't tasted great. Hopefully the filters make the taste neutral.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
So only First class get the "good water"!
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by sxc
I'm more concerned about the taste. When I've drawn water from those taps the water hasn't tasted great. Hopefully the filters make the taste neutral.
Carbon filters improve the taste (that's what is in a lot of personal use filters like Brita filters etc, so I assume the taste is better than what comes straight out of the tank.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:31 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wondering if this means one catering trolley is now available for other things - or indeed nothing.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: VS, BA, C, C++, IoT
Originally Posted by moa999
When were your house pipes last sanitised?
What about the dams?
These are daft questions. Mains water pipes are constantly re-sanitised by the water regularly flowing through them. Dams have great big industrial purification plants to render their water potable.

On the other hand, airplanes have water tanks; ideal breeding grounds for the likes of Legionella spp.¹ Oh, and regular piped-water levels of chlorine are insufficient to kill Legionella. Whether the on-plane filtration would be sufficient, I have no idea. It would also depend on how thoroughly and regularly the filtration system is maintained.

Shuuy's question about when the potable-water tank had last been sanitised was entirely valid.

¹ (Granted, Legionella rarely infects through being consumed - the infection route is more usually respiratory, but I use that bacterium as a commonly-known example; there are others too that would not be neutralised by drinking-water chlorine.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.