Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QFF - Malaysia Airlines - Fare Class 'N'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Has anyone had any experience of crediting a Malaysia Airlines flight in Fare bucket 'N' (Economy bought at a travel expo) to QFF? Qantas website doesn't mention it but also doesn't specifically exclude it but British Airways seem to credit to Executive Club at 25%.

Reason for asking is if we are able to get miles/status credits we will only be 10 credits from Silver card so I will book a domestic flight to get us over the line, especially if there's double miles on offer this week!

Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by rossco2810
Qantas website doesn't mention it
If it doesn't appear in the list, then it's not a miles/status accrual class. They don't keep an exclusion list. Best to credit it to somewhere else that earns something.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Trying to find a list of eligible booking codes is a challenge on the qantas site
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Trying to find a list of eligible booking codes is a challenge on the qantas site
They don't make the earn tables easy to locate, do they.

They're buried under Frequent Flyer > calculators > Earning Points & Status Credits Calculator > Qantas Frequent Flyer Earn Categories.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:04 pm

Has anyone had any experience of crediting a Malaysia Airlines flight in Fare bucket 'N' (Economy bought at a travel expo) to QFF? Qantas website doesn't mention it but also doesn't specifically exclude it but British Airways seem to credit to Executive Club at 25%.
Eligible booking classes on MH for points and status credits earn are listed here: https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/fl...ine-earning#mh

If your booking class doesn't appear here your flights do not earn points or status credits.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone had any experience of crediting a Malaysia Airlines flight in Fare bucket 'N' (Economy bought at a travel expo)
MH ffp only by this. http://www.wheretocredit.com/malaysia-airlines/n (may not be accurate) It was cheap for a reason
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
So I noticed some of my MH rather full fare Business Class tickets were credited as "Flexible Economy" on QFF.

This was the answer i got. Seems very odd to credit a business fare as economy

"I've checked the points credited to your account for your travel and can confirm they have been calculated correctly. Flights between Australia and Malaysia booked in C, D, I, J and Z class will earn Flexible Economy Frequent Flyer Earn Category, however will receive Malaysia Airlines Business Class service."

I like the line about "business class service".
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
So I noticed some of my MH rather full fare Business Class tickets were credited as "Flexible Economy" on QFF.

This was the answer i got. Seems very odd to credit a business fare as economy

"I've checked the points credited to your account for your travel and can confirm they have been calculated correctly. Flights between Australia and Malaysia booked in C, D, I, J and Z class will earn Flexible Economy Frequent Flyer Earn Category, however will receive Malaysia Airlines Business Class service."

I like the line about "business class service".
Collateral damage from a past disagreement between QF & MH. Petty but that's QF for you.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Reds2011
Collateral damage from a past disagreement between QF & MH. Petty but that's QF for you.
Any evidence to support this claim vs QF tyring to encourage people to book with itself rather than competitors and/or how much MH is prepared to pay for points
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:41 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Any evidence to support this claim vs QF tyring to encourage people to book with itself rather than competitors and/or how much MH is prepared to pay for points
Given that MH is the only airline so “penalised” and that these new earning rates came out soon after the deterioration of the relationship, its enough circumstantial evidence for me.
Reds2011 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Not really relevant to the thread, but anyhow....

If it's solely an issue of how much MH is prepared to pay for points then I stand corrected. Considering that the business class SC earn for a KUL-HKG flight is exactly the same on CX & BA flights as it is for MH according to the QF calculator, I doubt the amount MH are paying for QF points is the issue.

Of course QF will use this sort of thing to encourage people to book with them, nothing wrong with that practice in my opinion. For example a flight on any of BA, AY or JL BNE-SIN in business is only worth 60 SC instead of the 125 on QF. However an MH flight BNE-KUL is limited to 30SC regardless of whether flown in J. Now that we have established that payment rate for points is not the issue, and that other Oneworld airlines flying the same route are offering SC's for business class, the question becomes why aren't QF allowing MH to do the same thing.

I haven't looked at the issue in depth (rarely have the need to fly MH) but have been told by people in the industry who would be in a position to know such things, that QF's actions in this situation are the lingering result of the unpleasantness and hurt feelings after QF sponsored MH into Oneworld back in 2011, with visions of SE Asia cooperation, only to have it all fall apart. Cue Jetstar Asia etc.

Now I may well be wrong, but that's how I understand it. If there's another reason I'd be interested to hear about it.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
. For example a flight on any of BA, AY or JL BNE-SIN in business is only worth 60 SC instead of the 125 on QF. However an MH flight BNE-KUL is limited to 30SC regardless of whether flown in J.
And meanwhile PER-KUL in business is worth 50SC (although that still the flexi-economy rate, business on the table is 100SC).
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Back to fare class 'N' - I traveled SIN-KUL-SIN on MH last weekend in 'N' class, switching FQTV to my Enrich account at the gates - earning ~180 points each way.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
I haven't looked at the issue in depth (rarely have the need to fly MH) but have been told by people in the industry who would be in a position to know such things, that QF's actions in this situation are the lingering result of the unpleasantness and hurt feelings after QF sponsored MH into Oneworld back in 2011, with visions of SE Asia cooperation, only to have it all fall apart. Cue Jetstar Asia etc.

Now I may well be wrong, but that's how I understand it. If there's another reason I'd be interested to hear about it.
FWIW Malaysia Airlines returns the favour if you credit Qantas flights to Enrich (https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/au/...es/qantas.html)

So, it's bit of a mutual thing, and I wouldn't speculate on who started it - but it's quite childish on both sides.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by perthite
So, it's bit of a mutual thing, and I wouldn't speculate on who started it - but it's quite childish on both sides.
Just trying to think of any other mileage (non-revenue) based programs which award miles/status for full business class fares at the same rate as economy fares (understand there would be some that award full Y at the same or less than discounted business - rightfully so probably), but this situation seems to be fairly unique.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.