Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF12 Feb 19 diverted to HNL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:53 am
Original Poster

QF12 Feb 19 diverted to HNL

The A388 operating QF12 LAX-SYD diverted to HNL on Friday Night Feb 19. I thought the cyclone in Fiji might be involved but all the other aeroplanes are currently en-route to SYD as planned.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
qantassource say 'apparent medical'

Looks like 2 hrs in HNL, and 2:45 late into SYD..there goes all connections.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 1:52 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat

You might not be so disappointed about the connections if you were the one taken to HNL for medical attention.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by og
You might not be so disappointed about the connections if you were the one taken to HNL for medical attention.
To be honest, Id be embarrassed, apologetic ....and very thankful.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:32 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat

Amazing that the crew had enough hours left, would have expected overnight in HNL while they fly a new crew in (or perhaps they did, from LAX). QF has had at least a dozen A380 diversions due to medical reported in the press, I suppose with more pax comes more medical problems.

Most and probably all routes connecting out of SYD would have a later flight that day, even if going to LHR So not so bad to be 3 hours late into SYD. SYD-MEL has flights as often as every 15 minutes depending on time of day, a bit different from most US city pairs.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:39 pm

Unless you are a tourist in Y with separate tickets and no status.... and you are paying your own fares!

One question- in the US there are a good many city pairs with decent numbers of flights, but the issue is that capacity to absorb added pax is getting more difficult as loads increase. Is this a different story in Oz?

(I know SYD-ADL and MEL-SYD are unique in terms of flights, but is it markedly different than US loads?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
To be honest, Id be embarrassed, apologetic ....and very thankful.
You'd have to feel terrible if that was you. Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for them and hope they're well, but I know I'd certainly feel very guilty (and probably a bit special too) knowing that hundreds of people were inconvenienced and a lot of money possibly lost.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by PaulST
You'd have to feel terrible if that was you. Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for them and hope they're well, but I know I'd certainly feel very guilty (and probably a bit special too) knowing that hundreds of people were inconvenienced and a lot of money possibly lost.
As they say on Star Trek, "Sometimes the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many"

I don't see a problem having a day of inconvenience myself if it means someone I don't know stays alive. One day it could be me.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Unless you are a tourist in Y with separate tickets and no status.... and you are paying your own fares!
An intercontinental flight with a tight connection and separate tickets is a pretty risky proposition though. There are a lot of things which could cause a few hours delay.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
Amazing that the crew had enough hours left, would have expected overnight in HNL while they fly a new crew in (or perhaps they did, from LAX). QF has had at least a dozen A380 diversions due to medical reported in the press, I suppose with more pax comes more medical problems.
Crew can work up to twenty hours. LAX - SYD is a 16:30 duty so gives 3:30 for any delays on the ground or diversions. If the delay took too long you could then always fly to BNE which gets you some extra time since it's shorter than a flight to SYD then put everyone on a domestic flight.

Worst case if the crew did run out of hours, a new crew wouldn't be flown in and the aircraft would have to wait 10 hours while the crew have minimum rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.