Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Do all domestic QF flights offer business class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze

I've had a bit of a nose around the QF forum but could not find the answer so please forgive my newbie question. As part of an Avios tier point run I am trying to find a way of squeezing in as many QF segments as possible in just a few hours, starting in SYD, ending in MEL. I was thinking along the lines of SYD-BNE-CBR-ADL-MEL or SYD-LDH-BNE-CBR-MEL. My question: Do all QF aircraft have a business cabin, even on short hops and propeller airplanes?

Last edited by planestupid; Jan 20, 2016 at 12:59 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:52 am

Any props is a no. I'm not sure if all 717s have J in them but if the flight number if 15xx or 4xx it usually offers J. 14xx not.

Hence, no to LDH flights. And there's an odd prop service between BNE/MEL and CBR. Most SYD CBR flights are props.

If you're doing this part of a DONE then there are certainly some creative routes that can be integrated.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:11 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Check award availability to/from LDH before getting too excited. And, factor in weather delays which DO happen on the LDH run. May not be the best choice if time is tight.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by og
Check award availability to/from LDH before getting too excited. And, factor in weather delays which DO happen on the LDH run. May not be the best choice if time is tight.
I think the OP is trying to build status, assuming under a D/AONE?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:33 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by edy4eva
I think the OP is trying to build status, assuming under a D/AONE?
Yes - I think you're right. In haste I saw Avios and immediately thought "awards". Notwithstanding, since time is tight, I still think LDH would be a corrageous flight based on OP's proposed itinerary.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: QFF
And there's an odd prop service between BNE/MEL and CBR. Most SYD CBR flights are props.
For Dash8 on SYD-CBR, it depends on the day. All flights on Saturdays are Dash8. Other days have more then half the flights on 717s.

In general, everything operated by QF mainline has a J cabin. Most Q-Link flights don't. Only part of the Q-Link 717 fleet has a J cabin. Those aircraft are generally used on flights to/from CBR.

In general:
QF1-199 QF operated International
QF200-399 Codeshare International
QF400-1399 QF mainline Domestic
QF1400-2399 Q-link. QF15xx are 717 flights with J.

QF5xxx JQ operated codeshare
QF6xxx ferry flights
QF8xxx EK operated codeshare
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:19 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
BNE, TSV and DRW are good for J status runs.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
Most Q-Link flights don't. Only part of the Q-Link 717 fleet has a J cabin. Those aircraft are generally used on flights to/from CBR.
Actually Q-Link also operates to BNE and MEL from CBR, not just to SYD.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by m0hamed
BNE, TSV and DRW are good for J status runs.
Not for BA Tier Points. The trick with BA TP's is either go for 2000+ mile sector (BNE-PER, SYD-PER) or fit in as many short sectors as possible, thus the importance of SYD-CBR. It's not as graduated as QFF SC's... in business <2000 miles (SYD-DRW or SYD-CBR) gets 40 TP's, >2000 miles gets 140 TP's. If looking at 4 sectors something like ADL-MEL-CBR-SYD-PER would be optimal.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: QFF
Actually Q-Link also operates to BNE and MEL from CBR, not just to SYD.
At no point did I suggest they didn't.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Not for BA Tier Points. The trick with BA TP's is either go for 2000+ mile sector (BNE-PER, SYD-PER) or fit in as many short sectors as possible, thus the importance of SYD-CBR. It's not as graduated as QFF SC's... in business <2000 miles (SYD-DRW or SYD-CBR) gets 40 TP's, >2000 miles gets 140 TP's. If looking at 4 sectors something like ADL-MEL-CBR-SYD-PER would be optimal.
As my fare is mileage based the trick is indeed to try and cram as many segments into the overall MPM, hence my desire to find a string of short hops with ideal layover timings. As I only have eight hours to play with the best I've found so far is SYD-BNE-CBR-MEL in 6 hrs 20 mins. SYD-CBR-MEL offers the best mileage/tier points ratio but these sem to be the only short hops in the area that offer a business cabin. Someone please prove me wrong.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by planestupid
As I only have eight hours to play with the best I've found so far is SYD-BNE-CBR-MEL in 6 hrs 20 mins. SYD-CBR-MEL offers the best mileage/tier points ratio but these sem to be the only short hops in the area that offer a business cabin. Someone please prove me wrong.
BNE is kinda trapping you in a corner. compared to SYD-BNE-CBR-MEL, it's 500 miles shorter to do syd-cbr-mel-adl [and ADL-HKG is nonstop nowadays on CX when it's time to head out]. or are you saying you absolutely must start at syd and end at mel? if so then it would still save 200 miles to do syd-cbr-adl-mel. actually HBA is the next closest Biz destination to MEL/CBR/SYD, but it has fewer Biz flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.