Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Domestic to International connection at Sydney

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic to International connection at Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. It sounds like the consensus is it's doable (Qantas did suggest the itinerary) but not advisable so if I fly Qantas, I will be taking an earlier Melbourne to Sydney flight so that I allow myself at least 2 hours for the connection.

Will report back after my trip for future reference.

Thank you
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum, VA Velocity
Originally Posted by suziemay
if I fly Qantas, I will be taking an earlier Melbourne to Sydney flight so that I allow myself at least 2 hours for the connection.
I'd say that's wise. Several people have reported making this connection in less than 60 minutes and I don't doubt them. But you might not get so lucky. You can wait up to 20 mins for the transfer bus, for example ...
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
I beg to differ with the rather optimistic comments suggesting that 1hr should be OK. There is noooo way I'd leave such little time, even if the first flight was on time. And worst of all, you'll spend the whole few days beforehand worrying about missing the flight to BKK. Best you leave ~3hrs, or get there the night before.

Remember, unless you're in the first few rows, you won't get off the aircraft until 15mins after touching down, then there's the walk, and the bus ride to the international terminal. QF23 leaves SYD at a peak period so security/customs is always running at a snail's pace too.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulST
I beg to differ with the rather optimistic comments suggesting that 1hr should be OK. There is noooo way I'd leave such little time, even if the first flight was on time. And worst of all, you'll spend the whole few days beforehand worrying about missing the flight to BKK. Best you leave ~3hrs, or get there the night before.

Remember, unless you're in the first few rows, you won't get off the aircraft until 15mins after touching down, then there's the walk, and the bus ride to the international terminal. QF23 leaves SYD at a peak period so security/customs is always running at a snail's pace too.
Oh geez, 3 hours you say? That seems extreme, especially since Qantas site doesn't even show anything more than 2 hours as a connection option. I think I can go through the express lane at the international terminal, were you factoring that into the 3 hours?

I still haven't purchased my ticket because I'm wondering if I'm being silly by not taking the direct Thai Airways flight as suggested by Dave Noble. I was feeling more partial to Qantas with the recent FAA downgrade of Thai, plus a few other factors (including ability to earn some Asia Miles) but if the connection in Sydney is that much of a pain, Thai may be the way to go.

Thanks again, appreciate everyone's input
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I still haven't purchased my ticket because I'm wondering if I'm being silly by not taking the direct Thai Airways flight as suggested by Dave Noble. I was feeling more partial to Qantas with the recent FAA downgrade of Thai, plus a few other factors (including ability to earn some Asia Miles) but if the connection in Sydney is that much of a pain, Thai may be the way to go.
TG gives you 2 flights a day - if there is a problem with one, you can still get there 9 hours later with no issue on the same airline. I would seriously look at schedule as the key concern and FF miles as something that is an outcome of the travel rather than the cause of the travel choice

Also, assuming allowing 2 hours connection in Sydney, adding 44% to travel time, taking a total journey time of 13:10 rather than 9:10 - as well as adding risk

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 29, 2015 at 5:00 pm
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:19 pm

It might be worth considering taking CX from MEL with an easy connection in HKG and Asia Miles. A longer trip obviously, but the timing might be more friendly.
They have a sale on currently, ends Dec31.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DH188
It might be worth considering taking CX from MEL with an easy connection in HKG and Asia Miles. A longer trip obviously, but the timing might be more friendly.
They have a sale on currently, ends Dec31.
Believe it or not, I did consider this being a big CX fan as they have always gotten me on my connecting flight one way or another, luggage and all! Already flying CX from JFK to MEL even thought it's a few extra hours' flying time. However since I'm looking to fly on a very specific day it I make this BKK trip, it doesn't look like they would be a good option based on fares I'm seeing. Appreciate the suggestion, though! ^
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Personally I would not take TG, sure price is cheap but the airline has issues, and yes the chances of something going badly is remote but I still would not risk it. I would not fly them regardless of the bad service experience I have had in the past.
I would also not take a 1 hour connection in SYD. The stress and hassle from it, especially if it did go wrong is not how I would like to start a trip. IMO 2 hours is fine, the transfer is not that painful but I just do not think you would be as relaxed if your had more than an hour, but I too would not pick certain flights or airlines just to chase a few FFP, status points yes but not redemption points.
I hope it all works out regardless of what option you would chose.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I haven't had any issues with TG - found it to be a perfectly acceptable airline. daytime , non-stop service seems a pretty reasonable approach
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I would also not take a 1 hour connection in SYD. The stress and hassle from it, especially if it did go wrong is not how I would like to start a trip. IMO 2 hours is fine.
Yes, I'd be relaxed about 2 hrs.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Booked myself on QF with 2.5 hours to make the connection. Feeling pretty good about the decision. Trip is a little over a month from now, will report back then ^

Thanks everyone, and Happy 2016!
Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:34 pm

Booked myself on QF with 2.5 hours to make the connection. Feeling pretty good about the decision. Trip is a little over a month from now, will report back then ^

Thanks everyone, and Happy 2016!
Enjoy your trip! 2.5 hours is perfect .... 2 hours should be fine, but nice to have an extra half hour up your sleeve just in case ,,,,
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glazfolk
Enjoy your trip! 2.5 hours is perfect .... 2 hours should be fine, but nice to have an extra half hour up your sleeve just in case ,,,,
Thank you!
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Perhaps just as pertinent is *when* is the flight?

I would certainly avoid MEL-SYD (with connections) on a weekday morning with 1 hr connection versus, say, a weekend. Even if the flight left MEL on time, the chances of an enroute ATC hold are enough to bring me out in a cold sweat, even if the flight did leave MEL on time.

The other thing is the transfer bus. I've personally witnessed a lack of proactivity in the transfer lounge and late inbound passengers not called forward to the front of the queue. Only once the bus was 2/3 boarded - and it became evident those at the back of the queue would miss this particular bus - did a cry go up from the back of the queue and the gate agent then call forward those (yes, this resulted in my waiting a further 20mins for my bus but in this instance was not a problem).

Regards,

BD
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Completed my trip and reporting back! Actual transfer between terminals took 25 minutes, but that's because my MEL-SYD flight was on time, there was no line at immigration, and the seamless transfer bus was right there for me to board. Probably for future transfers I would be comfortable with 90 minutes (I allowed myself 2.5 hours for this trip).

The funny part was my SYD-BKK flight was delayed by an hour so despite all the stressing out about the connection, it was the other flight that was the problem.

I have to say the electronic immigration stations at Sydney are amazing! I've never seen them before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.