Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Earning Qantas points on AA QF93 codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning Qantas points on AA QF93 codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Question Earning Qantas points on AA QF93 codeshare

Dear All,
I have booked economy Qantas flights (QF 93&QF94) on AA website ( booked as AA7349 and AA7356) as it was cheaper. (Have 2 AA flights to LAS and SFO also. I have since discovered I can't apply for upgrades using QF points for the Qantas operated flights. Hoping a QF guru can advise if I will at least get any Qantas points or status credits for these flights- or have I made a really dumb decision to save $300.. I have gone to QF website but am confused on what the rules are saying. Any info greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't think saving $300 is particularly a dumb decision

You will earn Qantas points but at a different rate

If in discount economy, on the Qantas flight number SFO-SYD would earn about 4500 miles and 45SCs, on the AA flight number will earn 1875 miles plus 45 SCs. I wouldn't value 5250 Qantas points at worth $300
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA marketed flights earn QF points & status credit as the information on the QF web site
https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn...-qantas-points
https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn...-earning-table
https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn...ine-earning#aa
But with the new QF fairer & simpler system it’s very hard to work out what QF points you will get.
AA marketed flight Aus - USA West coast:- 1875 QF points and 45 SC economy discount AA fare [plus QF gold bonus] (may not be correct?)
The $300 cash saving is a lot more value than the difference in QF points.

The chances on an upgrade on QF93-QF94 are low and you need a more expensive QF base fare (IIRC)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 5, 2015 at 9:21 pm
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:25 pm

I don't think QF makes it hard to tell based on status using calculator

For a gold member in discount economy

QF flight number 7875 miles
AA flight number 3282 miles
45 SCs regardless

So a loss of 9186 miles but a cash saving of $300
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:34 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Crediting to Aadvantage is the obvious benefit of booking the AA codeshare, thought that plan is changing for the worse soon so the benefit depends on your flight date and other travel activity. But its a $50 decision given the FF point values.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you

Thanks for all the info everybody. Will I be able to get the extra Qantas baggage allowance as a Gold QFF now that I am flying on the AA flight number on QF93.. I think the answer is no the way I read the rules but guess I am just wanting to make sure. Thanks again.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by luvtotravel72
Thanks for all the info everybody. Will I be able to get the extra Qantas baggage allowance as a Gold QFF now that I am flying on the AA flight number on QF93.. I think the answer is no the way I read the rules but guess I am just wanting to make sure. Thanks again.
No extra allowance

Originally Posted by https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/flying/tier-benefits#benefits-of-gold
20. Extra checked baggage allowance is only available on Qantas operated jet flights with a QF flight number on your ticket and varies by route and travel class. Piece, size and weight restrictions apply. Visit qantas.com/baggage for details.
I would suggest crediting to AA. You will earn over 15500 AA miles. 17,500 is currently enough for a business class one way ticket from anywhere in Australia to anywhere else in Australia. Seems a lot better than collecting 3800 QF points
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will I be able to get the extra Qantas baggage allowance as a Gold QFF now that I am flying on the AA flight number on QF93.
As a OW Sapphire (QF Gold) you get extra baggage https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-onew...lyer-gold#tier

If you join AA (recommended) as a OW nothing you no extra.
But showing the QF card when checking in it may work (but technically should not). Will not work with kiosks
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
No there is no extra allowance in economy class on that route. Qantas allows 2 pieces - the OW Sapphire benefit only provides for 1 extra piece if the base allowance is < 2

The Qantas benefit for Qantas Gold members only applies when both marketed and operated by Qantas - being on a codeshare, this does not apply
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No extra allowance

I would suggest crediting to AA. You will earn over 15500 AA miles. 17,500 is currently enough for a business class one way ticket from anywhere in Australia to anywhere else in Australia. Seems a lot better than collecting 3800 QF points
This is good advice. Those points are potentially worth up to $2,000 in value if taken for an expensive ride in Australia, such as a one way business SYD-PER, or SYD-BME, etc...

...note AA redemption rates go up in March to 20,000 points...
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Sound advice

Thanks for all the advice. I will credit to AA and get the extra points- they are running a promo for an extra 5000 points also so it is definitely worth it. I will wait until I check in to switch from my QFF number (Gold) to the Aadvantage number(basic) so i don't lose my priority seats. I have no status with AA so assume I would have less seats to choose from if I change now..
Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:42 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I will credit to AA and get the extra points- they are running a promo for an extra 5000 points also so it is definitely worth it. I will wait until I check in to switch from my QFF number (Gold) to the Aadvantage number(basic) so i don't lose my priority seats. I have no status with AA so assume I would have less seats to choose from if I change now..
Be very careful with this. I would make sure that you change it before check in , but not too much before....

Phone up Qantas and then AA and ask for the number to be removed
Then check on checkmytrip to make sure there is no number visible
Then go into the AA booking and Add the AA number
Then go into the QF booking and make sure that the AA number show there too

With a 5000 bonus it is even more of a no brainer to credit to AA. 20,000 AA miles is a r/t economy from anywhere in Australia/NZ to anywhere else in Australia/NZ
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all the advice. I will credit to AA and get the extra points- they are running a promo for an extra 5000 points also so it is definitely worth it. I will wait until I check in to switch from my QFF number (Gold) to the AAdvantage number(basic) so I don't lose my priority seats. I have no status with AA so assume I would have less seats to choose from if I change now..
More to DN's good advice, some people have had success with changing the freq flyer number on the Finnair AY or Qatar QR web sites (manage my booking)
You need to get a boarding pass with the AA number.
But there are many reports on FT of the changed number not sticking. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.