Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Does anyone actually pay for premium economy on TransPac flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone actually pay for premium economy on TransPac flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by inpd
Enlighten me what's different about the passengers in PE vs Y?
No. You'd only carry on arguing the toss.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
That being said, if I keep on getting complimentary upgrades QF can't be pricing it particularly well. If PE becomes the equivalent of First Class on Domestic American carriers (i..e its there but people typically complimentary upgrade to it) that would be great.

Ah. I can feel that extra 2 inches of seat width already and the people I can already feel the high quality people.
PY demand does vary, a couple of years back it was a godsend as people and businesses were cutting back and PY became a sweet spot, thanks to things improving somewhat, those people mostly went back to J. As long as demand is enough to generate a baseline profit, not going out with a full cabin is tolerable (and makes for some cheap loyalty buy in op-ups and award/upgrade availability from QFFers).

As for that last part, lol. I always appreciate some spare width to use as a form of temporary storage for take-off and landing, but I agree with the sentiment that people are people (for better or for worse) no matter what cabin they happen to sit in (it's not like that mints ad, where they magically become classier just because they went through the curtain)
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I've tried it once and will soon be trying it again for free (thanks QF!) going in the other direction MEL-LAX. Maybe it will seem more worthwhile now given I'll be awake.

That being said, if I keep on getting complimentary upgrades QF can't be pricing it particularly well. If PE becomes the equivalent of First Class on Domestic American carriers (i..e its there but people typically complimentary upgrade to it) that would be great.
Wow you are pretty lucky getting these upgrades for free. What one world status do you hold or is there another way you are getting these upgrades for free?
QF are not known for just giving complimentary upgrades to often even for their Platinum flyers.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Wow you are pretty lucky getting these upgrades for free. What one world status do you hold or is there another way you are getting these upgrades for free?
QF are not known for just giving complimentary upgrades to often even for their Platinum flyers.
Newly minted OWE. I also don't understand why I'm getting these upgrades but I'm not going to ask why! I know that my company has a large corporate account for AA which gets us preferential treatment with AA (i.e. if we are a few thousand miles short of requalifying they'll give us a soft landing or they'll use that preferential standing as a tie breaker with upgrades). but I doubt Qantas cares or even knows about that.

Doesn't QF give out upgrades to OWE?

Last edited by inpd; Nov 13, 2015 at 11:33 pm
Old Nov 13, 2015, 6:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Doesn't QF give out upgrades to OWE?
No. Unless needed for operational reasons (i.e. oversold lower cabin), upgrades are all paid for either by fare difference or by points.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No. Unless needed for operational reasons (i.e. oversold lower cabin), upgrades are all paid for either by fare difference or by points.
Are you sure about that. On all QF flights I've taken TPAC (which are not that many) all J and PE seem to be taken. That seems to be hard to believe as those international flights are kind of expensive to upgrade and buy outright.

Last edited by inpd; Nov 13, 2015 at 11:33 pm
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:24 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Are you sure about that. One all QF flights I've taken TPAC (which are not that many) all J and PE seem to be taken. That seems to be hard to believe as those international flights are kind of expensive to upgrade.
QF also move staff, crew and ID traffic. These are frequently upgraded.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:13 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Are you sure about that. On all QF flights I've taken TPAC (which are not that many) all J and PE seem to be taken. That seems to be hard to believe as those international flights are kind of expensive to upgrade and buy outright.
QF does not provide complimentary upgrades unless absolutely required - mainly due to an oversold lower cabin.

The QF upgrade system allows QF to fill remaining premium seats, as these are processed in the last few days before the flight when the load is relatively known. That coupled with good revenue management means QF is able to fill their premium cabins quite well without needing to op-up.

I'm not sure why you are so surprised that QF is able to fill premium cabins. People do pay for their fares as shown by this thread.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Okay. That makes sense. I'm flying LAX-SYD typically which is probably mostly tourists with little or no status so as a OWE I'm the candidate to be upgraded.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 2:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Okay. That makes sense. I'm flying LAX-SYD typically which is probably mostly tourists with little or no status so as a OWE I'm the candidate to be upgraded.
No it doesn't make sense. SYD-LAX is not just leisure since most business travel between Australia and USA travels on through LAX. It is probably the longhaul route with the most QF chairmans lounge, platinum 1 and platinum passengers - all of which would rank ahead of oneworld emerald for any op-ups.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I'd say it's the complete opposite. SYD-LAX in J seems, anecdotally at least, to be mainly business customers. If you're flying J on business internationally there's a good chance you're OWE or higher.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:49 pm

Hi,

Flew QF to Australia in July (going again on Dec, Jan and March). Was fortunate enough to be complementary upgraded to Premium economy from LAX-MEL. It was really quite nice better than economy with the more leg room and nice food.

So for my upcoming trips I looked into paying for PE and was shocked to see it was double the price of regular Y. Does anyone actually pay for PE? Don't get me wrong, its quite nice, but is it worth paying $3500 vs $1500 for 7 inches of leg room and nicer food? I don't think so. If I wanted extra leg room you can fly UA or AA (now flying LAX-SYD) and pay for their economy plus which gives you 5 inches of leg room more but same meal. But given it only cost $150 each direction (free if you have good status) with the left over money I can buy a lot of really nice meals.
I fly PE a lot but don't pay double. Note it is not double for a flex fare which many of us need because of the unpredictability of work, and a PE special fare which I always use is often close to the Flex fare prices if one shops around with routes and timings. Also the status credit yield is the same as flex fare which is needed if one like to keep a lounge membership. Finally it is not only about leg room but two inches of extra width plus a greater recline makes a huge difference. On an A380 flight at the back upstairs I see all the PE people sound asleep on a long flight while the Economy lot just behind them are all awake. That's is the difference and that is worth a few hundred dollars (but not thousands) as far as I am concerned.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:55 pm

Not that expensive is one buys PE sale fares and are flexbible with routing and timing
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I think the same as you. Why pay for PE instead of economy. I would not pay to upgrade to PE but would pay extra to go Business. I don't think you get double your money in value from E to PE but believe you get a lot more for your money going from Y to J. A flat bed is worth every cent on long haul.

For me the upgrade is all about comfort in regards to sleeping as well as the treatment you receive. I don't care about fancier booze or food.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:54 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum, VA Velocity
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
For me the upgrade is all about comfort in regards to sleeping as well as the treatment you receive. I don't care about fancier booze or food.
Travelling Hong Kong to Sydney in PE earlier this year I had the best sleep I've ever had on a flight! For me, the extra recline on PE (compared to Y) is just ideal for me. For some weird reason I find it better than flat bed. But I do accept that's just me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.