Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

How far can I check my baggage through?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How far can I check my baggage through?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Notionally, since booked as a transit, not a stopover, some taxes and charges may become applicable, including the AU$57 'departure' duty.

As Mwenenzi advised, don't tell the airline.

Make sure your ETA is valid.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Will do.. take advice on the ETA. A little OT but this is our 9th or tenth trip down under in the last 10 years or so, and every time we apply for the ETA I am auto approved and Mr worldiswide has his application pended for review. It always clears but it's never been processed automatically..

Lastly, if I have both boarding passes in Auckland, should be no reason to be at a check in counter in SYD.. is that correct?. Lounge yes, leaving some time for that.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Correct, no reason to visit the check in counter. I've done similar when connecting between international flights at Sydney, without problem.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Great. Making my plans for my half day in Sydney..
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I have a couple of flights situations that I'd appreciate through check advice on.

1) PER-xMEL-xSYD-xSIN-xLHR-CDG all on oneworld and all on the one ticket.

2) PER-xSYD-AUH with QF and EY all on the one ticket but with a 15 hour layover in SYD.

Will QF check bags through from Perth to my final destination and issue boarding passes in both examples?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it is all on one ticket, then as long as the airline has no issues arise ( e.g. too many sectors or too long a connection for airport to accept the bags, it should be ok )

Since the connection to EY is same day as the QF flight I would expect the bags to be checked through at Sydney ; I would not be too surprised if the agent is unable to issue a boarding pass though

Doesn't EY offer an online check in through which the BP can be printed?

With 5 sectors , I owuld be concerned that the airline may have an issue checking the bags through - are you actually booked SYD-SIN-LHR or are you booked on BA16 SYD-LHR? If the latter then would be only 4 sectors and would expect that the bags could be tagged all the way

I would expect that QF should be able to issue most boarding passes for a OW journey
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If it is all on one ticket, then as long as the airline has no issues arise ( e.g. too many sectors or too long a connection for airport to accept the bags, it should be ok )

Since the connection to EY is same day as the QF flight I would expect the bags to be checked through at Sydney ; I would not be too surprised if the agent is unable to issue a boarding pass though
Yes, one ticket. Technically it isn't actually a same day connection. I'm on the midnight flight PER-SYD but due to daylight saving that flight leaves at 11.05pm the day prior, arriving SYD 6.15am then 9.15pm to AUH. If they can't check the bags through and issue a boarding pass then I'll be stuck for approximately six hours in SYD (until EY opens for the earlier circa 3.30pm AUH departure).

Doesn't EY offer an online check in through which the BP can be printed?
I will look into that, thank you.

With 5 sectors , I owuld be concerned that the airline may have an issue checking the bags through - are you actually booked SYD-SIN-LHR or are you booked on BA16 SYD-LHR? If the latter then would be only 4 sectors and would expect that the bags could be tagged all the way

I would expect that QF should be able to issue most boarding passes for a OW journey
I'm booked SYD-SIN-LHR BA16 to BA12.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:34 pm

[QUOTE=danger;25784357]Yes, one ticket. Technically it isn't actually a same day connection. I'm on the midnight flight PER-SYD but due to daylight saving that flight leaves at 11.05pm the day prior, arriving SYD 6.15am then 9.15pm to AUH. If they can't check the bags through and issue a boarding pass then I'll be stuck for approximately six hours in SYD (until EY opens for the earlier circa 3.30pm AUH departure).
[/quote[

Technically 0615 - 2115 is a same day connection , which is what I was referring to . The timing of the EY flights and duration you mentioned, indicated that you would have to be departing same calendar day

I did just check , EY does do offer checkin

If , for some reason, the bags cannot be checked through due to the connection time, there is a left luggage service that can be used; obviously not as conveniant, but would make it easy if wanting to leave the airport

switching from 16-12 at SIN seems a good option to create misconnection issues over 16 the whole way
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Technically 0615 - 2115 is a same day connection , which is what I was referring to . The timing of the EY flights and duration you mentioned, indicated that you would have to be departing same calendar day
Good to know, thank you.

I did just check , EY does do offer checkin
Also good to know. That will be my backup.

If , for some reason, the bags cannot be checked through due to the connection time, there is a left luggage service that can be used
That will be the backup's backup as it will mean that I won't have been able to get airside and into the lounge (probably the American Express lounge at that early time of day).

switching from 16-12 at SIN seems a good option to create misconnection issues over 16 the whole way
I'm on an AAward and there are currently no seats on BA12 all the way but I will continue to monitor.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by danger

I'm on an AAward and there are currently no seats on BA12 all the way but I will continue to monitor.
I think I would be keeping an eye on MH and CX availability and getting the surcharges back rather than switching to 16 the whole way

Would you really want to be spending 17 hours in a lounge?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I think I would be keeping an eye on MH and CX availability and getting the surcharges back rather than switching to 16 the whole way

Would you really want to be spending 17 hours in a lounge?
Yes, the surcharge for BA was ridiculous but it is First on the A380 SIN-LHR.

It won't be 17 hours; at most it will be six hours in Sydney then less than a couple of hours elsewhere.

Originally Posted by danger
(My mistake: BA12 doesn't originate in SYD.)
Old May 15, 2018, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
How would checked luggage be treated on the following:

LAX-MEL QF94 arriving at 7:30 AM
MEL-AKL QF151 departing at 11:15 PM (same day)

Plan on leaving the airport and exploring MEL.

Thanks.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by beckoa
How would checked luggage be treated on the following:

LAX-MEL QF94 arriving at 7:30 AM
MEL-AKL QF151 departing at 11:15 PM (same day)

Plan on leaving the airport and exploring MEL.

Thanks.
I don't know the direct answer to your question, but there are luggage lockers available at Melbourne Airport if you have to collect them.
Old May 23, 2018, 5:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by deeruck
I don't know the direct answer to your question, but there are luggage lockers available at Melbourne Airport if you have to collect them.
I checked at the desk upon arrival in MEL. Since my bags were tagged thru to AKL, I did not need to claim them and enter MEL with them. They should make it to AKL tomorrow. ^

We opted to carry our backpacks today in case we chose a different method of returning to MEL today. Hence I'm now signed up for a back massage in the QF F lounge.
deeruck likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.