Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

How far can I check my baggage through?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How far can I check my baggage through?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
...snipped....
Please take note that Poochie is our resident pet, nobody takes note of what he posts.

Dave
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:49 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by thadocta
Please take note that Poochie is our resident pet, nobody takes note of what he posts.

Dave
I did take note of these posts:

I am probably close to being banned from here too I think.
Ahh... never mind, I might as well take myself off and read only.
Read and digest.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
The Qantas transfer desk in the international terminal can be a zoo at times. If it's overcrowded and you can handle the baggage, just take the nearby down escalator to the train station and pay 5.80 for an airport-transfer to domestic. That's always the most comfortable route to T3. Where you should be able to check in for Canberra without a wait.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:22 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by harryhv
The Qantas transfer desk in the international terminal can be a zoo at times. If it's overcrowded and you can handle the baggage, just take the nearby down escalator to the train station and pay 5.80 for an airport-transfer to domestic. That's always the most comfortable route to T3. Where you should be able to check in for Canberra without a wait.
If doing this, do NOT purchase your ticket from the ticket machine, you will be slugged with the airport station access fee, instead go to the ticket window.

However, if you are an aviation geek (like yours truly), it can be worthwhile doing the airside transfer, as you will get to see parts of the airport you might otherwise not be able to see (which is why there is security screening prior to boarding the bus).

Dave
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
Another question on entering USA. My son is flying QF AKL-SYD then QF11 to JFK. One ticket.
Does he have to pick up his checked luggage at LAX or will it go straight to JFK?
On the return journey I suspect he will just pick it up at AKL?
Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Ardentinny
Another question on entering USA. My son is flying QF AKL-SYD then QF11 to JFK. One ticket.
Does he have to pick up his checked luggage at LAX or will it go straight to JFK?
On the return journey I suspect he will just pick it up at AKL?
Thanks.
So AKL-SYD-(LAX)-JFK and return? Assuming no stopover in SYD, bags will be collected at LAX for CBP. Won't see them until AKL on return.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:16 am

Thanks Himeno. Yes return AKL-SYD-JFK with no stopovers. I assume QF allow sufficient time for pax to go through CBP and back onto the next leg.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Ardentinny
I assume QF allow sufficient time for pax to go through CBP and back onto the next leg.
Normally, yes. It depends on a number of factors such as how many pax are 'late', length of delays in CBP and TSA, if the other QF flights from BNE and MEL are late, etc.
The onward flight to JFK has a very tight turn in JFK to get back to LAX in time for the return to Australia. Any delays to the flight at LAX can cause problems later. If any delays reach a point where it would cause major issues to the operation later in the day, missing pax would be transferred to one of the dozen+ AA LAX-JFK flights.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:46 am

Thanks again Himeno. Might get him to look at going via DFW. Cheers.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by thadocta
If doing this, do NOT purchase your ticket from the ticket machine, you will be slugged with the airport station access fee, instead go to the ticket window.
What happens there? Is there a "secret" airport transfer rate that the machines don't allow for? That's a good tip.^
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:01 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by deeruck
What happens there? Is there a "secret" airport transfer rate that the machines don't allow for? That's a good tip.^
Indeed. if you go to the machine, you will get the full fare, the ticket window will sell you a discounted fare.

(If you are using an Opal card and have reached - or are likely to reach - your $21/week cap on airport charges, use Opal, if not, don't use your Opal card either).

Dave
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Similar question but a little different routing. Hkg to syd to akl on a single ticket . 1 hour 50 minute connection in SYD. I know the luggage can be tagged all the way through to akl but do I have to collect in syd or just transit without luggage a n d hope that it is transferred to the akl flight.

On the return akl to syd we are continuing on to Dubai. We have a little less than o hours in syd. We are planning to leave the airport. Can your luggage be tagged all the way with that amount of layover. Know we n end an e visa to leave the airport

Thanks for all info
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Similar question but a little different routing. HKG to SYD to AKL on a single ticket. 1 hour 50 minute connection in SYD. I know the luggage can be tagged all the way through to AKLl but do I have to collect in SYD or just transit without luggage and hope that it is transferred to the AKL flight.

On the return AKL to SYD we are continuing on to Dubai. We have a little less than o hours in syd. We are planning to leave the airport. Can your luggage be tagged all the way with that amount of layover. Know we n end an e visa to leave the airport o
On a single PNR/ticket on the HKG-SYD-AKL no need to collect your baggage and recheck. None of the stupidity that happens in the USA. You remain air side.

Same with baggage on the AKL-SYD-DXB if 1 PNR/ticket. It will be transferred.

On the return you will need a e-visa if you want to enter Australia. Best not the tell the airline that, as you(airline) may need to pay more taxes (departure?). Many people a do a visit to Sydney during transit layover's. A train ride to harbour.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
If all on the one ticket your luggage would be normally be tagged through as they are international connections - there would be no need to collect it.

WHile HKG to AKL you will be fine. The AKL-DXB may be problematic since you wish to leave SYD airport.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
On a single PNR/ticket on the HKG-SYD-AKL no need to collect your baggage and recheck. None of the stupidity that happens in the USA. You remain air side.

Same with baggage on the AKL-SYD-DXB if 1 PNR/ticket. It will be transferred.

On the return you will need a e-visa if you want to enter Australia. Best not the tell the airline that, as you(airline) may need to pay more taxes (departure?). Many people a do a visit to Sydney during transit layover's. A train ride to harbour.
You are absolutely right about what happens in the US hence my question. Seems to be easy in Syd. Wasn't planning to tell the airline. It's an 8 hour layover so there is plenty of time to get into town. It's already ticketed so I'm guessing I'm ok. I'm hoping to get both boarding passes in Auckland so I don't have to check in at Syd.

Originally Posted by serfty
If all on the one ticket your luggage would be normally be tagged through as they are international connections - there would be no need to collect it.

WHile HKG to AKL you will be fine. The AKL-DXB may be problematic since you wish to leave SYD airport.
What do you see as the potential problems and any advice to avoid them?

Thanks to both of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.