Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qanats club MEL international closing time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

I am planning to fly to NRT on Jetstar Business in June (Departing at 0100). Does Qantas club still close at 23:15?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:27 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I can confirm that the F lounge does close then (aggravating for EK flights ). I would expect identical hours for the QF J lounge. Given that JQ23 departs at 11:45, you would have to leave the lounge then in any case JQ is strict that way, 30 min before departure is last boarding even for business max.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Given the recent consistent delays to QF9, wouldn't the average closure time be more like 1:00am ... ??

Regards,

BD
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
JQ is strict that way, 30 min before departure is last boarding even for business max.
That is not my experience flying JQ internationally many times over the last 2 years.
No 6: How many times have you flown JQ domestically or internationally in recent times (or ever)?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:32 am
Original Member

Admittedly not a big sample size, as I've flown JQ twice internationally and once domestic (to try the 787 MEL-SYD service). Pretty awful experience every time, for different reasons, making me avoid JQ when possible, so not likely to try flying them again. But when every single flight has something wrong with it, and bad ambiance such as boarding early enforced needlessly, gives a strong message: avoid. By contrast I fly QF a few dozen times per year with 90%+ good flights these days. JQ does seem to have erratic policies & service at times (maybe par for the course as an LCC).
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

My flight to NRT is departing at 01:00am in November. I just wanted to know if QF lounge is closing at 23:15 as it mentions on the QF website. Hope they will close a bit later than that..
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cdgbear
My flight to NRT is departing at 01:00am in November. I just wanted to know if QF lounge is closing at 23:15 as it mentions on the QF website. Hope they will close a bit later than that..
Unless QF schedules a flight to depart later than the current latest flight, I cannot see why QF will change its closing time
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:56 pm
Original Member

JQ is considered to be a separate airline (though 100% owned by QF) and pays for its own facilities. Hence no lounge in general, and even some business fares don't include lounge access (only the most expensive JQ business fare does). JQ doesn't pay QF to staff lounge for extended hours, hence matter of luck when the lounge hours coincide. Low chance for 1am. MEL airport does have several excellent restaurants in intl but probably those are also closed at midnight. Joys of an LCC and the frustrating QF structure.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I just did a dummy booking MEL-NRT in June - it is showing a departure time of 00:15 (I checked a range of dates - all at 00:15).

JQ is offering a 'business max' bundle for $200 which includes lounge access at 'Qantas Club or partner lounges'. Clicking the 'find out more' tab says the access will be to the 'Qantas Club at Tullamarine'.

On that basis you'd have to think either: the Club will be open, or alternative arrangements made for another lounge, or you'll be able to get a refund of the lounge access component.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I just did a dummy booking MEL-NRT in June - it is showing a departure time of 00:15 (I checked a range of dates - all at 00:15).

JQ is offering a 'business max' bundle for $200 which includes lounge access at 'Qantas Club or partner lounges'. Clicking the 'find out more' tab says the access will be to the 'Qantas Club at Tullamarine'.

On that basis you'd have to think either: the Club will be open, or alternative arrangements made for another lounge, or you'll be able to get a refund of the lounge access component.
Lounge access is only included in a business max fare where an open lounge exists
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Lounge access is only included in a business max fare where an open lounge exists
Digging in to the very extensive terms and conditions, and the fine print (available on other pages if you search), I can see the purported limitation.

However, I don't think burying that information is suitable for JQ to get out of lounge access obligations.

The pop-up box on 'find out more' on the booking page clearly says the Qantas club is available for the JQ23 departure.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:36 pm

Digging in to the very extensive terms and conditions, and the fine print (available on other pages if you search), I can see the purported limitation.

However, I don't think burying that information is suitable for JQ to get out of lounge access obligations.

The pop-up box on 'find out more' on the booking page clearly says the Qantas club is available for the JQ23 departure.
It is - whilst it is open

Lounge access on other airlines only applies where a lounge exists and is open. No refund is given for travel where there is no lounge or lounge is closed Buying a JQ business Max ticket - the main benefit is that it is refundable
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is - whilst it is open

Lounge access on other airlines only applies where a lounge exists and is open. No refund is given for travel where there is no lounge or lounge is closed Buying a JQ business Max ticket - the main benefit is that it is refundable
Those terms and conditions are not stated on the 'max bundle' inclusions for JQ23. Therefore, at time of purchase, JQ clearly states the Melbourne QF Club is available. No ifs or buts about it.

You personally may value the main benefit of a bundle that it is fully refundable, but I don't. I see the accrual of points, status credits and lounge access as being more important than refundability. I have no lounge access other than through the bundle fare. In fact those are the first three criteria for me selecting the bundle fare.

JQ could easily remove lounge access from JQ23 if it's not available. The fact they have chosen not to do so, or to limit the time, means it is available. You'd have a hard time arguing against that under consumer protection laws.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:10 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I have found the refundability of a JQ Biz Max fare very useful. I purchased 2 SYD-HNL fares earlier this year and found that the price dropped by a significant amount a few weeks after I paid. After cancelling and repurchasing, I came out about $1000 ahead - and that was after the cancellation fee. The person in the JQ call centre was friendly and professional, and the refund appeared about 2 weeks after the process.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those terms and conditions are not stated on the 'max bundle' inclusions for JQ23. Therefore, at time of purchase, JQ clearly states the Melbourne QF Club is available. No ifs or buts about it.
JQ flyers will access when the lounge is open. It just may not be open until when the JQ flight leaves. JQ flyers can have access for many hours before that.
JQ is nothing to do with Qantas when it suits Qantas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.