Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status Credits

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Status Credits

Hi everyone, newbie here - but been reading for a while. I was after some advice about the most efficient way to top up status credits. I have silver status with Qantas and I currently have 340 status credits. I will be flying economy: Mel-Shanghai; Shanghai - Beijing; Beijing-Melbourne next month and I have a quote of 170 status credits.

I am also doing the following trip in December:

Cathay (ec - V): Mel-Amsterdam
BA Amsterdan-London
Cathay (ec -V): London-Mel

I am not sure about the status credits for this but with a 50% bonus I think I will get 105 SC for the long haul return and maybe 10 for the hop... I guess it is pretty poor. The cancellation fee seems to be about $300 so don't think it worth changing to qantas... but maybe that is a good option?

So, if my calculations are correct, I will have another 285 SC with the forthcoming flights - making a grand total of: 625 status credits.

To be safe, I think assume 600 so I need to earn another *100 status credits*.

Can anyone suggest the cheapest/most efficient way to earn 100 SCs?

Also, it says I have been a member since january 2014. Can some explain when I need to have got the 700 SC by? I return from Europe on the 1st Jan and it might be mid-Jan depending on if I have to stay for work. I need to make sure that flight counts!

Thanks in advance!

Scootar
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:45 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
For the SCs, is your start point MEL (I assume this is the case)?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:05 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by scootar123
Also, it says I have been a member since january 2014. Can some explain when I need to have got the 700 SC by?
Login to your QF account and it will show you your membership anniversary and how many SC's you have and need for the next tier.

From where are you able to earn additional SC's? There are options available from AMS/LON on BA which would meet it with only a Saturday night stay, should be possible for under AU$500.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
MEL-DRW via either BNE or SYD in J class QF will give you probably the most cost efficient and least time consuming return for 100 SC
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hi everyone, newbie here - but been reading for a while. I was after some advice about the most efficient way to top up status credits. I have silver status with Qantas and I currently have 340 status credits. I will be flying economy: Mel-Shanghai; Shanghai - Beijing; Beijing-Melbourne next month and I have a quote of 170 status credits.
170 status credits seems fairly high unless you have either a very high economy fare, some other promotion (such as additional status credits - check eligibility for non-QF flights, if any) or if you have connecting flights contained in the segments you mention.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

thanks

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

It would be flying from Melbourne. Avalon would be easier, but can go to Melbourne obviously...

The 170 SC was for a flexible economy

I can't see a join date, but I looked in my history and it says:
"31 JAN 15 EXPIRED STATUS CREDITS"

So, I guess that means I have until the end of January?

Just checking: If I used points to upgrade to business, I won't get the extra business status credits? You just get whatever you get for the cash ticket, right?

Darwin looks like an option - but to get 100, I would need to do something like:

mel-bris-dar (flex) then dar-ade-mel (red e-deal)

This comes to exactly 100 points, but costs $921... is there a cheaper way?

OK, so I looked at Auckland - there is a sale on...

I can do
mel-auck (bus sale) then Auck-Mel (eco sale)

This also gets 100 SCs (less points), but is $781

Other thoughts/options?

Cheers, Scootar
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:51 pm

I am also doing the following trip in December:

Cathay (ec - V): Mel-Amsterdam
BA Amsterdan-London
Cathay (ec -V): London-Mel

I am not sure about the status credits for this but with a 50% bonus I think I will get 105 SC for the long haul return and maybe 10 for the hop... I guess it is pretty poor. The cancellation fee seems to be about $300 so don't think it worth changing to qantas... but maybe that is a good option?
Qantas offers 140 (discount economy) or 190 (economy) SC for the trip Aus-UK-Aus. not a bad return on the $300, if the new fare is decent and reduces your residual needs down to a red-e-deal short hop domestic or two.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by garethlewis
MEL-DRW via either BNE or SYD in J class QF will give you probably the most cost efficient and least time consuming return for 100 SC
Cheaper way to do the same:

MEL - DRW QF838 / DRW - ADL QF757 / ADL - MEL QF694 in Flex Y will earn 100 credits for 11hrs 55 mins of flying from wheels up to wheels down, can be all done on a Saturday for around $1500

Not more than 1hr in any airport.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
Originally Posted by seat_4D
Cheaper way to do the same:

MEL - DRW QF838 / DRW - ADL QF757 / ADL - MEL QF694 in Flex Y will earn 100 credits for 11hrs 55 mins of flying from wheels up to wheels down, can be all done on a Saturday for around $1500

Not more than 1hr in any airport.
I remember about 3 years ago it was only about $1,000 doing my routing but this included an overnight stay so I much prefer your option haha
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Your month and year of memberships start with QF is normally under where it says, Good Morning/Good Afternoon/Good Evening (YOUR NAME), it says MEMBER SINCE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.