Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amusing(?) J Lav Experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Amusing(?) J Lav Experience

A longtime friend of mine was flying DFW-SYD in J recently when, midway thru the flight, she got up to use the lavatory. She took her purse with her and proceeded to set it in the washbowl after closing the door.

What she failed to realize, until it was too late, was that the faucets on the newer planes are electric eye activated and, so, her purse began to fill with water and, in the process, her cell phone inside was water damaged and inoperable. And at the beginning of her two week trip, no less! I would've been pi$$ed, but she took it all in stride. Live and learn, I guess.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:37 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Automated faucets are all over the place these days (I encountered the first one in Zurich in 1984 at a hotel there) so problem not limited to planes. Waterproof cell phones which can take a dunking are also easily obtained (mine is good for swimming, Samsung S4 Active with factory case; more waterproof cases for deeper diving are also available). Poor Qantas, having such a shoddy J service
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I'm starting to feel a bit complacent now - I just leave my handbag (everythings zipped up but not locked) under the seat in front if I go to the loo, regardless of class flown.

That's stink about her purse but I have to admit I like having the faucets activate that way. Bit more hygienic I think.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I feel sorry for her but it was also amusing. Sorry!
(One way of preventing this from happening is to carry a handbag that is too big to fit under the sink )

I have the opposite problem at sinks on some aircraft and at some lounges such is my being excessively used to those automatic taps.

I stand there with my hands under the tap like a dork, wondering why there is no water coming out. Then I go "Doh", remembering that not all taps are auto-activated.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
BF has a job with travel conditions that include him not letting his laptop leave his side. He has to take it to the toilet with him and he worries what folks thinks as to why he has to take it with him! He's worried someone will think he's in there looking at risqué stuff. He doesn't want to put it in the sink!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:22 pm

I can't get around the thought process that leads someone to put their handbag in the washbasin.

People brush their teeth in it, wash their hands, possibly even get airsick all in that bowl. Surely from a hygiene angle it would be self evidently not a great place to rest a handbag!?

Why not hang it from the coat hook on the back of the door?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:16 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Offshore171
I can't get around the thought process that leads someone to put their handbag in the washbasin.

People brush their teeth in it, wash their hands, possibly even get airsick all in that bowl. Surely from a hygiene angle it would be self evidently not a great place to rest a handbag!?
The wash basin is probably cleaner than many other things that are touched by everyone - eg the toilet door lock handle, seat armrests, remote control for the video, window shade finger holds, pillows, seat cushions etc. none of these IME would be routinely cleaned. At least the basin can get a wipe every now and again - there's even a sign asking people to do just that.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 5:12 pm

I'm not sure how this could happen in the first place. The moment there's motion under the sensor, the tap opens up. It's not like you can put a purse under it without seeing water pouring out?!

Are you sure it happened like it was described? there's definitely more to it.

I also second the surprise about placing a purse in the basin, one needs to be completly out of their mind to say put any belonging there, passengers brush their teeth and spit in it, wash their hands (hopefully) after having used the loo. I find it crazy for anyone to consider it as a working space.

And if we go about assuming that one would have placed napkins at the bottom of it, that would have activated the tap....

Sorry but I find this rather cringe-worthy story, the whole thing, a bit hard to believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.