Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Award Space USA-SYD, in F, wth a twist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too

Hello-

Well, newbie to this subforum. Did some research, didnt find much.

Im trying to book 2 seats in F, LAX to SYD. Award travel, so P inventory.

Using Avios, althought I could use AA miles.

As we all know QF is amazing in their lack of award space. Ive grabbed two seats, QF12, in F.

But

On sequential days!

Any ideas on trying to get these together?

Ive set up EF alerts in case they release an F on either day, I'll just change to that.

Im CK with AA, nothing with QF or BA.

Would love to have QF say 'you have the two awards, sure we can move them to the same plane'. I mean I am not asking for an extra award seat.

And this is over 335 days out. F cabins are totally empty.

Any ideas?

TIA
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The only thing you can realistically do is to wait and see if a seat becomes free on one of the flights booked and changed, but be prepared to fly separately

if travelling together is a key preference, perhaps see if there is a seat in a lower cabin available and take that whilst gambling on another 1st award becomes available
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:29 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
If you want to travel together (so you can be physically close), book in Business, not First.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
If you want to travel together (so you can be physically close), book in Business, not First.
Temporally close....Like arriving the same day.

Understand the separation in F. F and J these days tends not to be a hand-holding, gaze in your loved ones eyes expereince. Which is fine.

Could fly one of us through DFW, the other LAX. Arive within an hour at SYD.

If it was AA, I have contacts that I could use. Nothing with QF.

Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:49 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
That for me would be grounds for divorce.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:39 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
AA can swing this for you if you have sufficiently high status (but it has to be very high CIP). Otherwise in the normal course of things there won't be another F award opened on QF12 for Oneworld partner use and any unsold seats will go to certain QF staff, or if none are traveling that day, used for upgrades (paid by QFF on J revenue tickets). I've not seen QF release another F award on that particular route/flight in the past few years (but it does vary by date/demand). It could be worse -- for several years QF11/QF12 were blacked out for F awards, period (other SYD-LAX flights were available lnstead).

So call your AA contacts and put your status to the test. They can do it if they want to ... Concierge Key status is a bit low for this, but maybe you actually are higher status than CK (it is basically EXP with >$50K annual spend, which isn't much in the QF world).
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:52 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
As we all know QF is amazing in their lack of award space. Ive grabbed two seats, QF12, in F.

But

On sequential days!

Any ideas on trying to get these together?

...Would love to have QF say 'you have the two awards, sure we can move them to the same plane'. I mean I am not asking for an extra award seat.

And this is over 335 days out. F cabins are totally empty.
Originally Posted by m0hamed
That for me would be grounds for divorce.
I dunno if any comparison but I have this problem on CX all the time. On one route in particular - HKG-YVR in F:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ting-2.html#25
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...pps-8.html#113

I have two waitlists at any given time trying to clear a second seat on the same plane in F. Getting one seat is easy. We're allowed to waitlist on CX with Asia Miles, but getting the second seat requires waiting for 80-odd hours before departure for CX revenue analyst (may she rot!) to release her sadistic grip on the second seats.

Dunno if such last minute artistry works in QF.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:03 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
QF, unlike other airlines, does not release awards space close to departure. Agents may tell you this, but it is not like BA or EK where you can almost guarantee the release times close to departure.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:51 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Much easier on CX than QF to get 2 F awards on same flight, fwiw. Also which route matters, but CX releases for awards close to departure date when QF does not. Definitely big difference and a bit frustrating that Oneworld doesn't have more common policies. More like ManyWorld.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
AA can swing this for you if you have sufficiently high status (but it has to be very high CIP). Otherwise in the normal course of things there won't be another F award opened on QF12 for Oneworld partner use and any unsold seats will go to certain QF staff, or if none are traveling that day, used for upgrades (paid by QFF on J revenue tickets). I've not seen QF release another F award on that particular route/flight in the past few years (but it does vary by date/demand). It could be worse -- for several years QF11/QF12 were blacked out for F awards, period (other SYD-LAX flights were available lnstead).

So call your AA contacts and put your status to the test. They can do it if they want to ... Concierge Key status is a bit low for this, but maybe you actually are higher status than CK (it is basically EXP with >$50K annual spend, which isn't much in the QF world).
My problem is my heavy QF flying was 10 years ago, probably 15 paid J over 3 years. Ive done nothing for them recently. CK was $80k year before last, $50k last year.

Im awaiting responses. The old AA consumer relations process seems to have been, uh, damped down.... of course trying to get AA to have QF release seats to use with a BA Avios may still be a bridge too far.

PS Bolded the part that is at the root of many requests... you KNOW that it can be done...yet so often you hear "we cannot do XYZ".

"I know you can, but understand that you will not. Which is certainly your call- I do appreciate your time."
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Update:

Snagged two seats together DFW-SYD in F.

CK still working LAX-SYD. I dont care too much actually. Only loss is no lounge at DFW.

Thanks all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.